Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / New and dreaming
jbobs
# Posted: 16 Jun 2011 18:33

Hi everyone,

I absolutely love the idea of building a small, energy efficient home on a piece of property where I can have a garden and some meat birds) I'm only in the dreaming stages right now but here's my story in short:

I am an Animal Health Technology student with one more year before graduation (like a veterinary nurse) and have enough money to buy a piece of property once I start working, 2-5 acres. I want to live in a smaller home (say between 400-800 square feet) that is very well insulated, allows for a lot of natural lighting and has electricity supplemented if not 100% provided by solar power. I can do most of it myself but would need help with some of the electric and plumbing since I don't have a lot of experience in that area.

I'm afraid that building it myself is my only option, because I can't see ever finding a place like that already built unless it's a run down shack. I have some money to play with now, but I don't want to blow it all on a place that's a money pit and I'm just really paranoid about being broke and living in debt my whole life, so I want to live small and cheap.

My parents think this is a pipe dream and that I should just buy a house like "normal" people do and I'm quite discouraged, because I think it's a great idea and I feel I can do it. I'm not a very high-maintanance or material person.

Can anyone relate to this or do I really just have my head in the clouds here?

smitty
# Posted: 16 Jun 2011 19:20

Do NOT let people tell you, it's a crazy idea..
If it is YOUR dream.. Do it..
It can be done, it has been done, and most of us here are either doing it, or working on getting it done..

Remember there will be a million speed bumps on the way, your plans will have to change along the way.

We are building a cabin out in NY..
I have changed our plans at least a dozen times, as I ran into road blocks.. Just keep on truckin..

These guys here on the forum, have been a HUGE help for us..

Best of luck to you man, and don't let the pessimistic folks, get to you.. Misery LOVES company..

nicalisa
# Posted: 16 Jun 2011 20:43

your head is where it should be:) or at least all of the wonderful folks on this forum share your sort of craziness which makes it a group of crazy smart people, ie. a community:)

Find your land, and your plan and DIY. We are doing it the same way and are working and planning every day for freedom 55 (and the last kiddie grads from HS) and we live there full time.

Plan out your tasks and time to get you started and do not be discouraged if it takes you double the time....in this case the journey is the second best part of the destination. The first being a glass of wine on your somewhat finished deck:)

happy planning!!

PS. My parents thought that I was crazy starting to build our retirement place at 37, but given the fact that it will take 15 years to complete all of our plans with our 8 hands (2 adults and 2 kiddies), we figured we had better start early! They came out for a visit a few weeks ago, and are planning a return trip for August as they LOVED it:)

hattie
# Posted: 16 Jun 2011 20:56

Quoting: jbobs
My parents think this is a pipe dream and that I should just buy a house like "normal" people do and I'm quite discouraged, because I think it's a great idea and I feel I can do it. I'm not a very high-maintanance or material person.Can anyone relate to this or do I really just have my head in the clouds here?

Don't let anyone interfere with your dream. There are two types of people in this world: those that follow the crowd, living the rat race like their neighbours; and those that grab onto a dream and do whatever it takes to live that dream. The people on this forum tend to be the latter.

In my own life experiences I have learned that the path less followed proves to be the most exciting and rewarding in the long run. If I were to die today, I would be happy knowing I did everything I dreamed and had no regrets. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted as you follow your own dream. *S*

Rob_O
# Posted: 16 Jun 2011 23:33

My mother thinks I'm crazy for buying undeveloped land. I think she's crazy for paying $200 ft^2 to kinda have a view of the golf course off the side of the deck.

Go for it

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 17 Jun 2011 07:06

Quoting: hattie
In my own life experiences I have learned that the path less followed proves to be the most exciting and rewarding in the long run. If I were to die today, I would be happy knowing I did everything I dreamed and had no regrets. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted as you follow your own dream. *S*

well said hattie!!!!!!

go for your dream.......
be dept free and enjoy life EVERY DAY is my motto!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jbobs
# Posted: 17 Jun 2011 13:33

Thanks folks - I still have a lot of time before I can start this, as I have another very intense year of schooling and practicums, then I have to find a job in a place I'd like to settle, so it'll probably be two years before I really have a go at it.

I know I am capable of doing the actual building, but I'm completely in the dark about laws and regulations and what is required to qualify for insurance etc. I plan to be outside city limits so I would be assuming that I would not need a building permit, but does the building still have to meet code in order to qualify for insurance and other questions running through my mind. I know my way around a wood shop but I've never actually built a *house* before - chicken houses, yes LOL. I wouldn't mind taking some courses at the college on electrical and plumbing etc if I can ever find the time.

I am very scared of debt - I watch my parents every day just try to keep up and I find it so depressing. I mean, they bought their dream farm a few years ago and it's been really fun, but it costs them so much money that it really gets them down. I figure that I'm brand new just starting out, I can prevent this from happening to my own life if I stay smart. I won't make a lot of money on my career path but it's a job I enjoy, and living small and not getting loans if I can help it will allow me to get by. I love the country life, I just don't want it to squeeze me dry :)

hattie
# Posted: 17 Jun 2011 15:42 - Edited by: hattie

Quoting: jbobs
I plan to be outside city limits so I would be assuming that I would not need a building permit, but does the building still have to meet code in order to qualify for insurance and other questions running through my mind.

You will probably still need a building permit even if you are out in the country in BC....We live in the middle of nowhere here in the BC interior and we have to have permits. The building inspector drives through our small town once a week looking for people building without permits so that he can slap his big, red "stop work" order on their building. He even travels up the logging roads to keep an eye on things there. The inspector also comes by while you are building to do inspections. You will have to build to code and they will require a copy of your design before they will issue a building permit. They will make any changes that they feel are needed. Remember to take into consideration things like flood plain. If your property is on a flood plain, you will be required to raise up your land (or raise up your house) before a permit will be issued. To be sure of the height, a survey will be required and the surveyor will tell you the height you must start your building at.

I would suggest that you go to the closest city hall or government office to your property and ask them about the rules and regulations. If they don't know, they should be able to direct you to someone who will know.

Septic regulations are very strict in BC. Septic systems should be 100 ft from ALL wells (including your neighbour's, if you have neighbours). Make sure you purchase a plot of land that is large enough to accommodate this separation.

Where we are located in BC, if you are more then 8 km from a fire hall, your insurance will cost more.

rayyy
# Posted: 18 Jun 2011 06:38

Hang in there Jbobs.It can be done.We are all living proof.We share the same dream with you.You don't have to give out a lot of details to the douters.Stay optomistic,you'll get there.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 29 Jun 2011 17:55

'Dreams don't die...it's here they hide"... Cabin Forum!!!!

If a few friends didn't think you were crazy, you wouldn't fit in as one of our cabin dwellers!
I agree with the "mantra" from the gang above...hang in there, keep dreaming...and best of luck.

naturelover66
# Posted: 29 Jun 2011 19:39

Quoting: naturelover66
Dreams don't die...it's here they hide... Cabin Forum!!!!

Bushbunkie...... That should be our Motto !!!
I love it.

Borrego
# Posted: 29 Jun 2011 21:32

You can do it, we're all doin' it. And it's easier when you're younger, believe it or not :-) Just plan well and follow through.
Remember:
1) Conceive it,
2) Believe it,
3) Achieve it...

neb
# Posted: 2 Jul 2011 19:31

You should live your dream.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.