Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Regraded driveway.... should i add some bigger size gravel overtop?
spee
# Posted: 17 Jun 2011 09:52

or am i just wasting my money?

I had a driveway built using screenings, I KNOW its not what should of been used but thats what the contractor advised to use so i went with it.. Its ok now but likely have problems after each years thaw/spring.

Is it worth to get 1-2 trucks loads of 3/4 crush stone and place it overtop of the screenings ? Im thinking of putting some on the bottom before the hill up .. and also on the top clearing..

Am i wasting my money? After speaking with engineers, 2-3 minus should of been used as the base then 3/4 / 5/8 crushed should of be placed on top and compacted.. O WELL ... its done and I have to live with it ..lol

What ya think
landing looking up to clearing
landing looking up to clearing
clearing
clearing

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Jun 2011 10:37

I had 8 loads of 5/8 minus, this stuff will set in and pack like concrete. You could of had larger crushed rock first, then add the 5/8 minis to keep wate4r and freezing under control. Looks like a decent ditch, add large rocks in the ditch to slow down water flow to keep it from washing out during heavy spring and fall rains. Step it like a fishladder. Real troubled areas may require a culvert under the road to move some water from the inside to the outside. That is all loose looking, it wont stabilize till its all packed in naturally

spee
# Posted: 17 Jun 2011 10:46

it was recently graded( same day as the pics ) so I hope some time and some sun will tighten it up.

Do you think its worth adding 5/8 minus on top of the screenings ? or save the cash and use it for now and if comes a time when serious building is required... dig out the existing material and thrown down proper stuff?

BlaineHill
# Posted: 17 Jun 2011 16:59

The soil is always different wherever you go and yours looks like sand. I am not sure what would be best for you, but I recently went through buying gravel for my driveway which is through a shaded area with clay soil. They graded it and put down a combination of "number 2's" and "number 4's". It's pretty big stuff and the idea is that they will come back out and put down a layer of smaller stuff after what I have settles-in. I was not happy with a couple of spots so I told them to drop another 17.5 ton load of stone up by the road ($250 delivered) which I have been spreading with a lawn tractor and little trailer. I have heard that if you do not put down a thick enough layer of stone, there is a chance it won't interlock and work together and might end up sinking out of sight. If this happens, you wasted your money. If it does not cost much to re-grade you might just wait and see how it holds up. If you plan on adding gravel I think you should plan on doing it right so it will last. Good luck.

rayyy
# Posted: 18 Jun 2011 06:47

Up here in NY,we can get what is called Bank run gravel.It's a mix of sizes from sand to football size rocks.Makes a great base for a driveway.

spee
# Posted: 18 Jun 2011 07:17

Quoting: rayyy

Up here in NY,we can get what is called Bank run gravel.It's a mix of sizes from sand to football size rocks.Makes a great base for a driveway.

Unfortunately I already placed 200 tones of screenings on the driveway, so it's either leave it for now or. Get a contractor in to redo the driveway.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 18 Jun 2011 07:41

i like 57's for my final surface...........a mxture of # 5 's and 7's.....
i use large stone for my base........and top with 57's....

TomChum
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 11:05

It's not clear what problem you are trying to solve. Your photos have 2007 on them. Has it been 4 years or is the date wrong?

spee
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 11:14

Friends camera has the wrong date! these are from 1 week ago.

Wrong material was used from the start, am i stuck with either ripping it all apart to put down new material OR can something be done / used to correct it

TomChum
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 11:24

So, wrong material, but currently the driveway does not have any problem?

spee
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 11:25

currently other than some rough spots and large amounts of dust since screenings were used no BUTTTTTTTTTT once we get a couple big rains... Im worried of what will happen

Gary O
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 11:33

Quoting: spee
I had a driveway built using screenings, I KNOW its not what should of been used but thats what the contractor advised to use so i went with it..

1st question, what's under the 'sceenings'?
(looks like a lot of sand like material)

2nd, what kind of contractor?

TomChum
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 11:41

It surprises me that someone who could such a nice job would advise the use of screenings, if screenings were the wrong material to top it with. Are you sure it doesn't have proper material under the screenings?

You do have a grade.....maybe consider to put some gentle swales in so the water can't get up to speed.

I personally don't like to hear the crunch of gravel in my driveway, I like the sound of a dirt road. I would not like a driveway showing 2s and 4s my preference is 2 tracks and pine needles!

I hear you on the dust though, I would try something like "rolling" it to pack it down.

Have you expressed these concerns to the contractor who made the driveway?

spee
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 12:03

Screenings were used from the soil up... no bigger stones on the bottom..All screenings

Contractor that builds roads and landscaping in the area...used an mini excavator.

I have spoke with him but hes telling me just to use it for now and enjoy it and take it from there.. It seems unfinished to me... the ditch along the side is uneven..( some areas have rocks some dont) the back of the clearing is not smoothened out ....high point half way up the driveway that causes traction issues.

Pics attached from yesterday
Weekend_at_bubs_plac.jpg
Weekend_at_bubs_plac.jpg
Weekend_at_bubs_plac.jpg
Weekend_at_bubs_plac.jpg
Weekend_at_bubs_plac.jpg
Weekend_at_bubs_plac.jpg
Weekend_at_bubs_plac.jpg
Weekend_at_bubs_plac.jpg

spee
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 12:04

couple more
Weekend_at_bubs_plac.jpg
Weekend_at_bubs_plac.jpg
Weekend_at_bubs_plac.jpg
Weekend_at_bubs_plac.jpg

Gary O
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 09:15

Quoting: spee
I have spoke with him but hes telling me just to use it for now and enjoy it and take it from there..

If it were me, I'd be havin' another chat with him.
Especially about 'taking it from there'
Seems a gully washer would undermine the bend in that road, even if you put the best of stuff on top. But he's the road builder....
Then I'd talk to a couple more road builders, and get 'em out to see and advise.
Then, if they advise to the contrary, I'd find a good (ptui) attorney........
I sure wouldn't soak any more dinero into it before that.

Please, if you'd be so kind, keep us posted.
This is kinda educational, as I've been involved in a couple road builds.

Gary O'

spee
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 14:35

got a couple guys coming to take a look... my budget for this already hit its max..wait and see i guess

Just
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 16:11

Wait to worry, spee ,wait to worry ,enjoy the summer did u get a trailer??

spee
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 16:46

im in the process :) .. might need a quad to get up to it but ill get up there !!

Just
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 22:14

Looks like a great spot spee , hope u get setteled in real soon!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.