Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Any help for a snow bunny?
SilverFox65
# Posted: 24 Mar 2023 06:59

Hi everyone. I'm a 57 yr old woman and I'm heading outta Dodge!. I recently found a fellow Canadian willing to lease me a property and help me to build a small cabin in Northern Ontario and I'd like to learn from your mistakes! I'm wondering how big I need to build. Its just me and 2 German shepherds but even just lying on the floor they need an extra 4'x4' of space. I would hate to build then find out we're to crowded. My current home is 20x25, we do fine but there's no wood stove to take up space. Any hints or advice gladly excepted!

Brettny
# Posted: 24 Mar 2023 09:30

Start with a free floor plan creating app or map things out to scale on graph paper. No one can really tell you how big your cabin needs to be.

gcrank1
# Posted: 24 Mar 2023 10:39 - Edited by: gcrank1

Sounds like quite the adventure!
Imo, and on my 2nd cabin over about 40yrs, dont do a cabin with a loft as living space (storage of seasonals ok), use open floor plan so it can be an easy floorplan change, figure min. 8'x8' space for the wood stove and proper safety clearances, and use long overhangs for the roof.
Fwiw, our current, one big open room cabin is 16'x24', the two of us and a small dog; wouldnt really want to be any smaller. Actually, I think 24'x24' would be ideal. Pretty much the floor space you have now but with a woodstove in it. Going any smaller you Will notice.

DaveBell
# Posted: 24 Mar 2023 11:12

Quoting: SilverFox65
a fellow Canadian willing to lease me a property and help me to build a small cabin

How much building/use of tools do either of you have?

The easiest thing to build is a salt box with shed style roof using dimensional lumber. The most important part is the foundation. I've seen some folks on here screw that up and risk their cabin sliding down a hill.

Don't post more than one item/question at a time on here. So start a new post for the foundation and lets work though it.

Size. A shed roof using dimensional lumber is typically 12 feet wide and as long as you like. Larger than that, like 24x24 feet, and you need roof trusses and maybe a crane.

We need to know if you and friend are biting off more than you can chew. Is this two old ladies building their first cabin, or are both of you seasoned carpenters?

Just
# Posted: 27 Mar 2023 21:21

Lots of land in northern Ontario to buy not lease , I have heard bad stories about leasing .

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 30 Mar 2023 15:41 - Edited by: Tim_Ohio

How does it work to build on leased land? This is a red flag to me. I'm not in Canada, though.

Best of luck to you.

Brettny
# Posted: 30 Mar 2023 15:51

I was a member of a cabin on leased land..it was there since the 1960s and still going. But this was paper company land in NY.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.