Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / geotextile fabric - two 4ft rolls vs 10ft
optimistic
# Posted: 8 May 2023 13:19

can I use two 4ft rolls vs one 10ft roll? it's just that the 10ft it too long for me to easily pick up at the store..

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 8 May 2023 14:26

You have to overlap so you will loose a foot of coverage

Brettny
# Posted: 9 May 2023 05:45

Weed fabric for keeping weeds out dosnt really work for long and a mess to clean up. Use cardboard with mulch on top..or are you putting rock on it?

optimistic
# Posted: 9 May 2023 06:51

This is for my driveway - not for ferns battle.

I'm renting a track skid steer. Never used any heavy equipment before. I'm going to order 3-4 loads that will be dumped in the entrance (they can't drive in that mud) and then I'll spread it along my driveway over that fabric.

Chances of being able spread it in a 2 days for a noob like myself?

mj1angier
# Posted: 9 May 2023 08:30

If you get a good dump truck driver, life can be a lot easier for you.

https://youtu.be/ZaHdYDth-5E

jsahara24
# Posted: 9 May 2023 08:43

How long of a driveway are you spreading it on?
Are you removing any of the mud that is there now?
Seems doable in 1 day to me...and I'd probably go with the 10' wide geo....

Brettny
# Posted: 9 May 2023 11:48 - Edited by: Brettny

Quoting: optimistic
This is for my driveway - not for ferns battle

You want road fabric then. Comes in a 12' long roll of various lengths. I paid $1 a linear ft 4yrs ago. It's well worth it to keep the stone from mixing with the dirt in the spring.

Also dont remove any of the mud/dirt. You need to keep the road taller than surrounding soil. If it's really muddy dont let the stone truck drive on it as it's just going to push more stone deeper. I built a driveway through a swamp 4ys ago and dont get any movement, pot holes and have done nothing to it since.

optimistic
# Posted: 9 May 2023 20:02

Ordered three 13x100 ft rolls. No one can drive it.. They will have to dump in the entrance of the land then I'll have to bring loads with skid steer... No choice. 2-4 inch stone is what I'm told will be easy for me to scoop with skid steer. Wish me luck! Haha.

Brettny
# Posted: 9 May 2023 20:31

Less lengthwise seams the better in this situation. You may want to top that with 0-2in stone or go fully 0-2in stone. I found that the 2in stone I was getting never really locked in so it was like driving on sand. Typicaly the bigger stone is used as a base. But you have road fabric for a base. Even if you do a 3-4in layer of larger stone then top with 3-4in of 0-2in stone it will help lock things in.

I did the worst part of my swamp driveway (the first 100ft) with nothing but a 38in wide excavator blade. In your situation you have a bucket so should go fairly quick.

Spread going forward, drive to the end of your stone, then back drag out. Keeping a smooth road surface to drive on while spreading next trip helps a ton.

jsahara24
# Posted: 10 May 2023 13:52

Yeah id go with bigger stone, then top dress it with 3/4" stone to lock it all together....and avoid rolling an ankle if you go for a walk....

Keeping the driveway above grade is a good thing for getting water off the driveway, but getting rid of the mud/topsoil is a standard practice as well that will make your road hold up. It will just require more stone import which equals more $$. Also make sure the water has a way to cross the driveway (culvert) if you have a low point...

Good luck and we'll check back for some pics of the finished job!

optimistic
# Posted: 10 May 2023 21:05

thanks for tips. First load was delivered today. I hope they didn't block my driveway... I will get photos tomorrow.

I will order 3 more loads.. no clue if that is too little or too much... I have about 200-250ft to cover.

Brettny
# Posted: 11 May 2023 06:14

Quoting: jsahara24
getting rid of the mud/topsoil is a standard practice as well that will make your road hold up. It will just require more stone import which equals more $$

The problem with removing the top soil in clay soil is you have now made a french drain that is your driveway. Water goes through stone and seeks the lowest point.

When I did mine I actualy layed down 3-6in logs, dug a trench on each side and put the dirt covering the logs then layed the fabric down. I had a 20klb stone truck over it in 2 months.

optimistic
# Posted: 11 May 2023 07:12

oh Brett if you only saw my road haha.

one part is literally a swamp and is where the first guy attempted exactly what you said. He put logs to raise it up.

My issue is that I changed my car. Used to have a 2008 pathfinder which is meant for off road. And now I have a sante fe hybrid. Which sits relatively high but I will destroy it trying to drive in.

My goal is just to be able to very slowly drive in

Brettny
# Posted: 11 May 2023 08:27

These two pics where of the swamp my driveway runs through. There a few months appart. Corduroy roads do work, they spread the load on soft ground. In my situation I dug trenches that could drain away.
20190426_111749.jpg
20190426_111749.jpg
20190621_201212.jpg
20190621_201212.jpg

travellerw
# Posted: 11 May 2023 11:04

Some tips for the skid steer work.

1. ISO drive is much easier for a newbie to learn (one hand drives, one runs the bucket).
2. Work from the road you are building and try to avoid going on the geo-textile with the skidsteer. Especially turning as the tracks will tear up the fabric.
3. Worry about being "good" not fast. I know its tough when you are paying by the hour, but you will thank yourself when you don't have to re-rent to fix your "fast" job!
4. Backblade is key. If the unit has a float setting, then even better.

Good luck... and have fun! The skidsteer will make you feel like superman!

optimistic
# Posted: 20 May 2023 15:06

I did it last weekend.

Was incredible. Was able to spread 4 loads, about 100 ton, of #3 stone, in about a day and a half of work. I can't believe I waited this long to do it. I will do it again if I need in a heartbeat.

It was stupid easy.

I did get stuck once. Called the rental place. They told me to curl bucket and push so I have my track in mid air then through stone under for traction. Worked like a charm

Brettny
# Posted: 20 May 2023 16:22

Glad it all worked out well for you. A proper stone driveway will last a very long time and actualy can add value to your property.

gcrank1
# Posted: 20 May 2023 20:32

If using a track machine once you get the tracks up lay in poles/logs full across for both tracks to ride on.

optimistic
# Posted: 4 Jun 2023 14:13

I had an idea.. let me know if I am crazy.

But some seeds for grass or something else that is strong... then spread it on new driveway.. which will hopefully grew roots and catch it together...

Too crazy? haha

Brettny
# Posted: 4 Jun 2023 20:09

Dont do that. You dont want organics in a packed stone driveway. Just drive on it and let the rain help compact.

optimistic
# Posted: 5 Jun 2023 17:40

will do. thanks brett

gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Jun 2023 10:55

Stuff grows in a gravel driveway fast enough without planting anything in it too!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.