Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Dealing with Seasonal Stream
rpe
# Posted: 30 May 2023 16:05

We have a lake-front property on the Canadian Shield. There is exposed bedrock in a few areas, with other areas being glacial till mix of rock, sediment, etc. The middle of our ~ 1 acre lot had some low areas that would hold water until mid-summer, creating a real mosquito haven. We have worked the natural drainage route a bit every year, re-routing it away from buildings, and improving the drop. It now drains very well, and those wet areas dry up much earlier than in years past. Total length is about 150-200 ft.

I'm considering setting big-O type drainage tile in the bottom, backfilling with gravel, and then a bit of soil overtop. From the YouTubes I've been watching, wrapping the big-O + gravel with drainage cloth keeps the soils from infiltrating. I'm wondering about how to deal with/prevent plugging of this tile. At the high end, I'm thinking perhaps some sort of catch basin could be buried with a screen overtop. There is a mix of hardwood and coniferous trees on the property, so my concern is plugging.

Has anyone done this sort of thing in the past? Any thoughts/recommendations? I can see the advantage of just leaving it open. It's easy to keep clean of debris now, but it is a bit of an eyesore and tripping hazard through the dry season.

Brettny
# Posted: 30 May 2023 19:49

Your just trying to make the area not a mosquito heaven and dry up?

rpe
# Posted: 30 May 2023 20:18

Yeah, that was our goal, and we've achieved that now with some digging. It does need regular maintenance to remove sticks/leaves/debris. If I could bury a couple 4" bigO side by each, or maybe a single 6", I'm thinking that would handle the flow in all but the worst of the spring run-off season. Then we could get the drainage we're looking for without the tripping hazard of a 12"-18" deep channel cutting through the property.

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 May 2023 21:28

A French Drain?

Brettny
# Posted: 31 May 2023 05:46

I had a seasonal swamp in my yard/woods with no chance to drain it. I filled the area with wood chips I had dumped for free. Some areas are 4' deep. It's been about 6yrs since I completed this with no issues.

rpe
# Posted: 31 May 2023 06:17

gcrank, yes, sort of like a french drain, but with a catch basin of sorts up at the top end. Sounds odd, I know, but ground level rises slowly from the lake back into property for the first 100 ft or so, then there is a bit of a dip for another 50 ft or so before a bedrock ridge rises at back of property. I'm draining the surface water that collects in that 50 ft section that gets trapped by the topography, and doesn't naturally drain well due to very fine soil/clay and/or bedrock features.

Brettny, I'm doing similar in that any excess soil or rock that I have gets hauled by wheelbarrow to fill in these deepest of these 'dip' areas. How do those wood chips hold up over time? Does it feel 'spongy' to walk on?

gcrank1
# Posted: 31 May 2023 10:43

From our experience landscaping at home with Loads of wood chips, some commercial/some made with our chipper, they break down and settle into a very nice mulch.
We filled a low spot some years back on a walkway and still have enough rise for a walk across without wet feet. Of course it doesnt much matter now as we are just short of an official drought.....
Nice thing about wood chips is they are Faarrr lighter to manhaul than dirt!

Brettny
# Posted: 31 May 2023 11:27

Quoting: rpe
How do those wood chips hold up over time? Does it feel 'spongy' to walk on?

Yes they do...but they make great soil to grow things on after a few years. They are sponge but I'm driving a 6klb tractor over what is basicly a swamp so maybe that's not sponge to someone else.

My garden and 35 Norway spruce have been growing in this area for 3yrs now.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.