Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Need Help with a Thing!
travellerw
# Posted: 10 Jul 2023 19:30

Ok.. So my googlefoo has failed me.. Or I just can't figure out what to actually search. So I thought I would post here and see if you smart fellers would have ideas (or know exactly what I'm looking for).

I need a piece of tube that is 4-5 inches long and 1.25-1.5" outside diameter. The inside of each end needs to be machined to accept a standard bearing (eg 6203).

Thats it.. Just a short piece of tube that can accept a press fit bearing in each end..

I have found a few go kart steering pieces that are pretty much what I need, but too small (too small diameter).

Thoughts!

ICC
# Posted: 10 Jul 2023 22:25

Any machinist should be able.to make that. You need a lot of luck to find something ready made.

Ask around to see if there are any hobby machinists around.

travellerw
# Posted: 10 Jul 2023 22:47 - Edited by: travellerw

Quoting: ICC
Any machinist should be able.to make that

I am kicking myself for selling my lathe. Damn 10 min with a boring bar and I would be done.

Unfortunately, I have asked around without success. Of course I could pay (and will if I need to). However, I just can't believe it doesn't exist. Its basically a weldable hub but using sealed bearings. It has to exist.

I did think about buying a tire rim and just chopping the center hub out, but most are too small of a center bore. They get spendy in the size I would need.

Brettny
# Posted: 11 Jul 2023 10:45

You could try searching for "bushing stock". McMaster carr may have it as well as MSC. I got some of it some where online to repair a backhoe that was badly worn.

travellerw
# Posted: 11 Jul 2023 19:46

Thanks guys.. I did find something very close in a Go Kart steering "tube". Unfortunately it had long delivery time.

So its cobble time. Using idler gears welded to a piece of pipe. The gears have the precision machined bearing cavity.. and they will be a good conversation starter... LOL!

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Jul 2023 22:00

Think of it as the Mk I version

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.