Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / new soon-to-be cabin owner
241comp
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 13:45

Hi all, I've been lurking here for a couple weeks and wanted to say "hi." Today, I'm closing on 65 acres in northern KY. Mostly wooded (mixed hardwoods) and all of it is very rugged terrain. I'm excited about building a cabin on the property - all of the cabins I have seen on here are absolutely amazing and have been very inspiring.

Right now, I'm looking at one of the large barn kits from Cottage Kits (http://www.cottagekits.com) - maybe 14x32 or 16x34 with a loft. Thinking about a pier foundation, using telephone poles as my piers. Has anyone used one of their kits before? Anything I should watch out for as I construct my foundation?

rayyy
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 16:44

Howdy 241comp,welcome to the Small Cabin forum.This sounds like a great new adventure you are about to embark on.These kit built's look very nice and reasonable priced,too.Have fun picking out what you want and keep us posted on your progress.

naturelover66
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 18:05

Hello !! Welcome to the Forum........... a great group of ppl. Congrats on your new property......... please post pics !!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 19:34

welcome to the forum..............
Northen KY--good deer and turkey country .....:-)

Rob_O
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 20:52

Howdy, neighbor. I'm right down the road in the Louisville area.

hattie
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 20:56

Welcome to the forum 241comp....Can't wait to see pictures of your land.

smitty
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 21:41

Welcome to the forum!
Your idea sounds like a good one..
Pics or it didn't happen lol...

241comp
# Posted: 24 Jun 2011 08:06

Thanks everyone. Pictures will be coming in a week and a half. Last time I visited the property, I saw a couple of deer - now I just need someone to teach me to hunt.

neb
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 18:05

Sounds great and there are a lot of good people on this site.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 18:18

Quoting: 241comp
I saw a couple of deer - now I just need someone to teach me to hunt.

How may i help!!!!! :-) well i hunt everywhere--Ky in Cadiz..........lots of big deer where you are at in Northern KY.....

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 23:45

Quoting: 241comp

Thanks everyone. Pictures will be coming in a week and a half. Last time I visited the property, I saw a couple of deer - now I just need someone to teach me to hunt.

Get a hold of TurkeyHunter or "ElkDieByMyBow". I 'm also a hunter, bow, muzzleloader and modern firearm, but I havent done it in over 3 yrs, spend all my extra vacation time building my cabin. :D

241comp
# Posted: 6 Jul 2011 18:40 - Edited by: 241comp

Alright, here are the pics. Right now, I only have pictures of the cabin clearing down in the valley. Perhaps next time, I will have the time and energy to take some pictures of the rest of the property.

A panoramic view from the top of the clearing:

Looking at my cabin spot (in the shade):

The view from the cabin spot (before we finished cleaning up our mess):

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 6 Jul 2011 19:34

nice piece of property,.............lots of hard work clearing a cabin lot in this humid heat for sure!!!!!

volleypc
# Posted: 7 Jul 2011 09:37

241 Comp, it appears you aren I are at about the the same point. I just started clearing the lot for my cabin yesterday and as turkeyhunter said, it is alot of work especially here in Mississippi. My shirt is drenched within 5 minutes. The cabin plans are almost complete, but as of now it will be 16 x 32 (7 feet of that is porch with loft over it). Keep posting pictures, I look forward to following along. My current lease isn't up until March so I am not in a huge hurry, but I will start posting photos soon. Take care and stay hydrated.

241comp
# Posted: 11 Jul 2011 08:51

That's for sure. It was 91 degrees and perfectly still while we were working. Wore jeans all day (due to poison ivy). Add chainsaw pants, and it makes for a very hot afternoon.

Because of some other expenses, I am considering scaling back my initial cabin plans. We are having some work done on the gravel road to our place (because it keeps washing out) and I believe we will be putting in a well this summer. Might scale the cabin back to a 16x24 instead of 16x34.

Can't wait to see photos of your place, volleypc.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.