Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Hunting season
Aklogcabin
# Posted: 7 Aug 2023 11:39

Hunting season openings are starting to happen in or great state. For me that means a couple trips out to the cabin. Have the flights confirmed with the pilot for start of season for a week and then back out in the beginning of September. For a while. Hopefully another later with my beautiful wife.
I'm heading out with the fellow that helped me stake this land 20 some years ago. I haven't been out because of my broken neck but it's really starting to feel better, finally.
This is always kinda special for me. I enjoy the opportunity to have a chance to harvest a moose for our family. But just being out, in the bush is pretty special in itself. This is wild ak. Nobody around usually no phone. I sit out near the edge of a small pond out front. Swans are usually around if the wolves didn't get them. The wolves always know when I get there. They poop on the corner of a stuck trailer I have at the trail into the bush to the cabin. And they will leave a turd on my trail to my blind.
But sitting on the front porch is a great stand itself. Warm fresh perked cup of coffee from the woodstove. And a nice soft warm bed to sleep on. I've spent a lot of time in the bush with a tent. So the upgrade is particularly welcome.
But it's also a place that I can go to that is like stepping off the world and just sittin back. Nothing but me, this trip with a good friend. With the opportunity to harvest meat for our families. That's a very special spot for me. There is nowhere else like that. Cabin life. It's a pretty great place
Mom's pond
Mom's pond
My pond
My pond
Great hunting blind
Great hunting blind
Hunting bear
Hunting bear

jsahara24
# Posted: 7 Aug 2023 13:51

very nice, wish you luck on your hunt and trips! Look forward to hearing the stories when you get back....

FishHog
# Posted: 8 Aug 2023 07:55

best of luck. I'm still a couple months away from hunting season. And as much as I love it and enjoy your excitement, I'm not quite ready to give up on summer.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 9 Aug 2023 12:02 - Edited by: Aklogcabin

Thanks folks. I really enjoy the experience also. Cabin time. A time to relax n enjoy the fruits of your labor. Being out in ak bush is kinda cool tooooo. I can sit near the pond out front so it's not a long haul for a moose. I called in a bull for our son's first moose from here. Watched wolves play on the other side. Darting in n out of the black spruce trees. I missed a pure white one. Came in to my moose calls one evening. But just seeing it was a treat. The lynx come out early morning n get a drink, wash up n poo a lot.
I'm also very happy just sitting on the deck. I'm at the cabin n going to enjoy the life n hopefully harvest a moose
So does anybody else use their cabin for hunting seasons

gcrank1
# Posted: 9 Aug 2023 19:06

We gave up meat hunting some years back, still going after the Devil Red (Pine) Squirrels. Got one the other day, that makes 29 in the past two years. They were nesting inside my cath ceiling under the roofing! They Will tear things up.
There isnt much hunting pressure around our place so we have gone during the deer season because we too like to be there.
Oh, just remembered, within about this past month we have seen 2 Grey Squirrels; never seen Greys before! Thinning the Reds may have got the Greys to come back?

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 10 Aug 2023 08:30

I hope the moose population out your way survived the past couple harsh winters. They appear okay in my neck of the woods. Enjoy you time of solitude!

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 10 Aug 2023 10:40

Thanks John. Yes the snow was pretty deep last couple of years. Wolves would find a track n just follow it until the moose was exhausted. The ones I saw in early spring all looked very healthy though. Sleek brown n black coats. Until they get upset.
Just going out in the bush. And having a nice cabin to be in is enough for me. Harvesting a moose is kinda like icing on the cake. And hopefully my refrigeration system works out. Its still better than nothing.
Eh I'm at the cabin

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.