Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Advice on damaged log
HillPerson
# Posted: 12 Aug 2023 00:09

Hello,

I'm looking for advice on what should be done to repair what appears to be insect damage on one log on the cabin.

I know some options are epoxy or possibly replacing a small section of the damaged log...

Any input or advice on suggested approaches will be appreciated.

Pics attached[img=null]null[/img]
Damaged log
Damaged log

DaveBell
# Posted: 12 Aug 2023 07:18

You could chisel it out to see how deep/bad it is. If it's too large, more than surface damage it should be cut out and replaced.

Here is a link to log home products.
https://www.sashco.com/

HillPerson
# Posted: 12 Aug 2023 10:05

Yeah it goes all the way back through the other side of the log

Nobadays
# Posted: 12 Aug 2023 10:48

I have successfully used a wood repair epoxy to fix some rotted areas on log ends in the past. I cannot remember the name of the product I used but I do remember it was often used on wooden boats and the USFS uses it to repair logs on historic structures.

It was quite thin when mixed and would saturate the rotted wood then harden. In areas of too much rot we pulled out the rotted wood then mixed the epoxy with sawdust and packed it I to the areas needing repair. To my knowledge the repairs I did 20+ years ago are still solid. My repairs were primarily on log ends that were not trimmed back behind the roof drip edge.

FishHog
# Posted: 12 Aug 2023 11:29

cpes, Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer, is what I use on wooden boats. Its thin and will saturate and harden up small amounts of rot/soft wood. But its not a cure for lots of rot.
It also is going to degrade in sunlight, so should be stained/varnished it sun will hit it.

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Aug 2023 14:39

West System Marine Epoxy?, various filler products can be used to thicken/bulk it up.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.