Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Seal Amish Made Shed
hanginghelmet
# Posted: 20 Aug 2023 15:52

Hello everyone first time posting here. I purchased an 10x12 Amish Shed last fall. I now want to seal/waterproof it and I really don’t know what to use. I would like something that would make it easier to keep clean. Maybe a semi gloss? I want to keep its natural color but could go darker if necessary. My main goal is to seal/waterproof it. Does anyone have anything they would recommend to use? I’ve got so many different opinions I’m just clueless. Sherwin Williams recommended this.. https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/woodscapes-exterior-polyurethane -semitransparent-house-stain?itemCatentryId=19105

Thanks to everyone in advance for all your help!
IMG_0387.jpeg
IMG_0387.jpeg
IMG_0389.jpeg
IMG_0389.jpeg

Brettny
# Posted: 21 Aug 2023 09:11

https://www.twpstain.com/twp-wood-stains?gclid=CjwKCAjwloynBhBbEiwAGY25dJUvDUGchvY8Cf 5Ibo1Hx1fk1XG0LpQSUl4Ypzo5XMc0i3jSrNIFsRoC6ZwQAvD_BwE
Use something oil based. Since that dosnt say oil based I would say its water based. Typicaly if the clean up process says to use water then its water based.

Look into stains used by the log home industry, not what a big box store sells.

hanginghelmet
# Posted: 21 Aug 2023 09:49

Thanks so much for your reply! So I am a bit confused as I have been told by other people I should use a water based product for the shed? I just want to seal this thing the right way.

Brettny
# Posted: 21 Aug 2023 10:44

I did this shed with oil based TWP 4yrs ago and it looks the same.

Since its rough cut wood you may need to come back in about 1yr to cawlk the battens and other cracks but that's not due to the stain it's due to the wood drying. My 10x14 shed took about 3.5gal of that 1500 series stain.
1677064240915.jpg
1677064240915.jpg

hanginghelmet
# Posted: 21 Aug 2023 10:56

That looks like my shed as it looks like it was made with Hemlock? Which TWP stain did you use? Like I said prior I don’t want to darken mine too much. Thanks again for your help!

Brettny
# Posted: 21 Aug 2023 19:36

That was TWP 1500 series dark oak. It's just about as dark of a stain as they sell. The darker the stain the less UV graying you will get.

hanginghelmet
# Posted: 21 Aug 2023 20:48

Well you have me leaning that way. Your shed looks like it came out great

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.