Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / A special guest to hunt moose with
Aklogcabin
# Posted: 5 Sep 2023 15:50

I'm out at the cabin hunting moose, wolves n bears with a new friend. Last spring I reached out to Jordan Jonnas from the series Alone. He won season 6 and harvested a moose.
And now I have a new friend for life and a lot of great memories. He brought a friend along that is just as pleasurable.
They have been hitting it hard. It seems that the wolves n bears. Along with the record deep snow the last 2 years has had its effects. But just the opportunity is what matters.
It's been great to have them as guests. We have fresh dried mushrooms of several varieties. Our son just ground up a batch of fresh moose burger and steaks. To go with fresh sockeye salmon. I've been making fresh bread daily. Chaga tea, flour n yeast.
Cabins. They can sure be a place to open new opportunities and making memories. I'm feeling blessed that I took a chance to meet new friends and they accepted. And then to get to spend it together with such wonderful folks. It's all a win here.
Stay safe n enjoy some cabin time make some memories
A new friend
A new friend

rpe
# Posted: 5 Sep 2023 20:34

That's awesome! "I killed a wolverine with a hatchet" is a go-to phrase in our household. We loved Jordan in that season 6.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 6 Sep 2023 12:17

Jordan is as happy and great attitude as he was in the show. And he is a hard worker. Up before the sun out hunting till dark.
And for me, just getting back out and doing what I do. Almost what my inner self needs also. The healing power of the bush. And being with great folks around you is a win anywhere. But in the bush, cabin, hunting. Musty smells of autumn. Leaves turning. And being able to just sit back and enjoy my world around me.
So does anybody else on this sire hunt ? Or have stories about their cabin fun times. Kinda seems like this site is a cabin fix it site only.
Hey I'm having fun enjoy the moment and making great memories. Just enjoying more cabin life

Nate R
# Posted: 6 Sep 2023 12:38

That is awesome!

Yes, I hunt whitetail, turkey, and occasionally some small game here in Wisconsin.

-Nate

gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Sep 2023 12:44

We used to hunt, and process our own, for quite some years now it has only been for varmint control. It got to be that the worst time to be in the woods was during the state whitetail gun deer season, too many people, too many of them unethical. Having a cabin 'in the woods' allowed us quality time for that personal renewal even if not a hunt season.
We both continued in the target shooting sports with more than a little success, still do some but less formal. And Ive done all our g-smithing/tuning; you may have guessed or suspected that from my handle.

DaveBell
# Posted: 6 Sep 2023 13:48

Jordan Jonnas
This guy has talent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao7wbClR1E0

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 11 Sep 2023 13:48 - Edited by: Aklogcabin

Wow what a cabin time ! I've not been around very many folks that work so hard at hunting. I know how hard it can get to be up before daylight n hunt till dark. A tremendous amount of work.
It paid off. He was near a rain swollen creek with grass 5-6' tall. As he broke through an alder patch he spotted a mid 50s bull moose. He took a shot. But couldn't find any signs that he hit it. It was getting dark and raining hard. And had to abandon the search. Him and 2 more fellows went back first thing in the morning but no trace. He felt terrible. I can relate. But it happens. This has been a lifelong goal to harvest an ak moose. And a tremendous effort was put forward.
There are a lot of brown n black bears in the area. It's certainly possible that it was taken over by a big brown. Or it may have crossed the creek. It was record flooding this year and the little creek that is normally a couple feet deep was raging water. Salmon were swimming in the wet areas around the creek.
I had bears come up on the deck while out hunting away from the cabin. And they are using the foundation posts for scratching, rubbing posts. Bear hair on the sides of the cabin. And one had poked a hole in a doorknob trying to get in. Had a porkypine try and eat its way into the generator shed. While I was working on a generator. Great way to get the ol heart pumping.
We now have pike in moms pond out front. They are an invasive species and are reaping havec with salmon fry. Hey I'll do my best to irradiated them.
Mostly, 4 men were strangers were able to get together and become life long friends. Working together towards the same goals.
I was able to get some of the projects done like getting the generator shed turned into a walk in cooler. Wheeler shed built to try to keep bears n porkys off the wheelers. And a bunch of firewood in the cabin so when I go out with my beautiful wife on snogos for a couple weeks we're covered.
It's tooooo bad the way things worked out with the moose. But there were also a lot of great times spent laughing. Hanging out around a bonfire. Building friendships. I hope they can make it back next year. Maybe bring their families. I know they want to. And I will be ready with a smile and a nice comfortable cabin. And the opportunity to harvest a memories a lifetime. Whether anyone harvests anything.
Getting out, cabin time memories.
Door knob
Door knob

jsahara24
# Posted: 11 Sep 2023 16:04

Its always disheartening when you shoot and miss, or injure game. However it sounds like a great trip overall!

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 11 Sep 2023 22:28

The rains have indeed made it tough this fall. Still getting out is a true joy regardless of success.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 12 Sep 2023 12:29

Yeppers Akjohn. It's the getting out part. The opportunity to harvest wild hormone n steroid free game meat for your family. Harvesting a moose is important for our family. It's always a family get together when we process. And making new stuffed sausage recipes. Add jalapeños to the burger. As a dad, it is important to me that our family works together so closely.
I'm sure Jordan will be upset about the moose for a lifetime. But he was still a winner in many ways.
Our little cabin in the woods allowed us to get together. Meet new friends n make great memories. I only wish more folks had the opportunity. For me personally without a cabin to get into I would not be able to get out or hunt the way I do. Cabins big,
small, old or new. Modern or very rustic. They are all the same in the way they can bring folks together.
I will be back out in the bush soon. We have fresh moose tracks in our backyard to. Look like a large bull.
I hope you all have the opportunity to get out n make memories soon n stay safe n positive

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.