Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / A couple of cool features in Google Earth
scott100
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 08:53

I just read about a couple of cool features in google earth, that I didn't know existed, in an RV article that just hit my news feed.

There's a distance tool that can be used to find distance or area. It's frighteningly accurate, as I measured the size of a couple of buildings on my property (so if you're hiding from the tax man with an oversized building, beware). It's also handy for measuring the length of driveways and acreage of fields or wooded areas (it nailed the size of my property almost exactly).

You can also see the elevation of any point in the image you select, though it doesn't show difference between points. So, for instance, I'm looking for a fairly level place to park my RV next season. I did mow an area to eyeball it, but I really didn't need to with this tool as it's pretty good.

Maybe you all know these features were in google earth, but I had never played with it much. I could see it as a great planning tool if you were researching properties, cabin locations, pipe runs from a well or spring, etc.

gcrank1
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 14:34

For the Luddites amongst us (me) how do we do this?

ICC
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 17:58

Download Google Earth and then play around with it. There are likely some tutorials someplace. Windows, Linux or Mac. There is also an Android version but I like it better on a bigger screen with a mouse.

Nobadays
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 18:31

So is there an option to update the map? The version on mine says 2016-newer and it's definitely back around 2016.

geobuild
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 18:50

The satellite imagery/aerial photos are periodically updated depending on what's available in your area of interest. It's pretty random when updates occur.

gcrank1
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 19:38

Unless its mil-sat imagery, that likely new every sat orbit of the earth.

Brettny
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 20:50

Here's another trick you can do on your phone with google maps. Use the street view then click the report button. In the image now shows the date the picture was taken.. you can then back out and not report.

I love the distance option. I use it alot for hiking and hunting.

ICC
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 21:24

Quoting: Nobadays
So is there an option to update the map?

There should be a time slider in the upper left corner of the image area. It if is not visible then look in the lower left corner of the image. There should be a year. The font will be very small. Click on the year. That should make the slider appear in upper left corner of image

ICC
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 21:29 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: gcrank1
that likely new every sat orbit of the earth

The more populated the area the more frequent the updates. I see areas around us and in other western mountain states that have not had an update for years.
The areial view of my property was updated in July this year. The previous update was 12/2022; then 2/2022 and 9/2021..... all the way back to 1985. The resolution has got much better in the last 20 or so years.

Nobadays
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 22:01

Quoting: ICC
Click on the year. That should make the slider appear in upper left corner of image

Thanks but clicking on the date doesn't seem to do. There is a menu in the upper left but no slider.

Here is a screen shot
Screenshot_20230927.jpg
Screenshot_20230927.jpg

ICC
# Posted: 28 Sep 2023 00:23 - Edited by: ICC

Hmmm. Odd. Is that Google Earth Pro, the stand-alone Desktop version? Or the Google Earth web browser-based version? I use the Pro desktop version. I don't think I ever used the browser-based version. It can get confusing as there is also Google Maps which can also appear a bit different.

When I look at that location in the Google Earth Pro version here is what I see (with the sidebar navigation panel open).
nobadays
nobadays

Nobadays
# Posted: 28 Sep 2023 09:07

It was the only version I saw to download for my android tablet. Just says Goodle Earth. I don't have a desktop and my laptop went south... very colorful screen but function is missing.

I'll hunt around and see if I can find a better version. Thanks!

ICC
# Posted: 28 Sep 2023 09:35

OK, Android. I just looked at it on my phone and see that is what it looks like. I don't like it as much as the desktop version though. But at least the mystery is solved.

scott100
# Posted: 28 Sep 2023 20:49

The desktop version is the one you want if you want all the features. The couple things I mentioned are still in the browser version.

The one thing I miss not using the desktop version is the ability to look back at the image history back as far as they started doing them in an area.

gcrank1
# Posted: 28 Sep 2023 22:24

I bet that is a very useful feature for the prop tax office

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.