Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Putting an addition on an existing 16 x24' cabin with loft
Janemarie
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 20:58 - Edited by: Janemarie

Hello everyone, About five years ago I purchased some land and an existing cabin which came in very handy because during the COVID lockdown I had to live apart from my husband who was in the medical field. Long story short, he is now retired, and I am almost retired but getting up to the loft is a big risky for us older folks so we want to put an addition on the cabin and keep the loft as a guest room for when friends who are younger visit. My basic plan is to just create the same outline of the existing cabin with the porch and all but make the addition all one big room as a bedroom. The original cabin is actually a real log cabin from Sherburne log cabins in NY but the addition could be done as a regular construction with log siding if that made it more stable and solved connection/settling problems. Do any people have experience putting additions on existing log cabins?

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Sep 2023 09:05

Typicaly a addition would use the same style foundation as the current building and just build it onto it like a standard addition. Are you going to do the work your self?

We have a cabin I'm building in pharsalia.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 28 Sep 2023 12:11

No. But built a 3 sided log cabin 16x24. Stick frame or log it will be standing on its own foundation. Just right next door.
For our cabin to be more usable as we age. I a building a chair lift from the bottom floor to second floor. Use a 12v atv winch for power.
Shouldn't be any big issues with the addition. And sounds like you want to get more cabin time. That's always a good thing

gcrank1
# Posted: 28 Sep 2023 13:48

We have many places, houses and cabins/cottages with additions. The mistakes I often see are they did not do a good enough foundation to support the addition.
The prep and ground work has to be comparable to the original structure as well as the foundation itself.
And fwiw they always look best if the whole structure matches.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.