Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Free asphalt grindings
paulz
# Posted: 1 Nov 2023 17:08

Yesterday a pal with a big dump truck helped me get this old road asphalt at the county work yard. It’s going on steep driveway to the cabin, the previous road base is mostly gone now. My old dump pickup there is going to get it up the hill.
IMG_1682.jpeg
IMG_1682.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 1 Nov 2023 18:34

That should make a great new road; you lucked out again

paulz
# Posted: 1 Nov 2023 20:14

Hope so. I’ve used it in flat areas (the carport where the truck is) but never on an incline. It should do as well as the road base did.

paulz
# Posted: 10 Nov 2023 14:47

Rain in the forecast so I finished hauling it all up the cabin road and spread. It’s still a bit loose, the rain should help compact it. A road roller is about the last thing I need in my collection.
IMG_1727.jpeg
IMG_1727.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 10 Nov 2023 15:26

Bet you've got some heavy rigs to make a few passes back & forth after it's wetted down good

paulz
# Posted: 10 Nov 2023 17:41 - Edited by: paulz

Nothing really really heavy. A tractor, backhoe and dozer, all average size. Best bet might be the old fire truck, again just an old ‘60s Inter pickup but with a full water tank and the dualies it might do.
574.jpeg
574.jpeg

paulz
# Posted: 9 Dec 2023 09:44

My chipped asphalt road bed has been working great. So much so that last week I heard about a local road that was being redone, they offered to deliver the old asphalt, free, about 6 ten wheeler loads. In fact they thanked me for taking it, I guess it just helps them get rid of it.

Was also told that if driven on enough, long enough (with a steam roller if ya got one) it becomes almost paved road again.

Anyway my work is cut out for me for the next little bit, loading and hauling it up my driveway with my ‘on their last legs’ tractor and dump bed pickup.
IMG_1865.jpeg
IMG_1865.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 9 Dec 2023 09:54

That sure beats the $500/17.5yd d-truck load I have to pay!

paulz
# Posted: 9 Dec 2023 10:24

What do you get for that? Road base gravel? That’s what I was using originally, forget what it costed but I had to go get it. My truck will only take about 3 yards at a time.

gcrank1
# Posted: 9 Dec 2023 10:54

I guess that may be what it was; 3/4" crushed with a fair bit of sand and some limestone fines. It has made a good surface, locked in tight. And I need another load this year to extend farther and probably another to top finish the whole run off.

paulz
# Posted: 9 Dec 2023 11:29

Sounds like road base. I think I paid about $20 a yard some years ago for “recycled road base”, so with delivery you didn’t do too bad. I paid my friend for the load of chipped asphalt a month ago. “Let’s see, 5 miles per gallon, $6 per for diesel, three trips ”….

ICC
# Posted: 9 Dec 2023 12:33

Quoting: paulz
In fact they thanked me for taking it, I guess it just helps them get rid of it.

You likely saved them a bundle in disposal fees. Now where can you get the use of a roller machine, for free?

-izzy

pabear89
# Posted: 11 Dec 2023 15:16

Am so jealous of your getting this stuff for free.
I would be thrilled to get it but around here they all want $ for it.

jsahara24
# Posted: 12 Dec 2023 07:34

Yes in PA I can get a tri-axle load, for $300.... I went to my Township meeting and asked if they were looking to give any away, they said they use it for shoulder work....

paulz
# Posted: 12 Dec 2023 09:58

The pile in my first post came from the County Corp Yard (tax funded). They do county road repair and have a HUGE pile of it. Happy to give it away but you have to haul it.

This last pile came from a large private construction company. I know a guy who works there who set up the delivery. All that was free also but I didn't ask about what they would have done with it otherwise. My lot was probably as close as anywhere else they would have taken it.

paulz
# Posted: 15 Dec 2023 22:22 - Edited by: paulz

Spent the last three days moving the asphalt grindings up the driveway. Rainstorm due this weekend.,
IMG_1885.jpeg
IMG_1885.jpeg

FishHog
# Posted: 16 Dec 2023 07:59

Nice. Lots of work I’m sure but a nice product to get for free.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Dec 2023 12:35

So the other day as I was moving the grindings I got the bright idea to take a video of the mess from my golf cart. Only as I was looking through the camera instead of the road I ran into a pile of asphalt. Doh! At least it only stalled, no rollover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak4rZam4pZs&ab_channel=paulywogish

jsahara24
# Posted: 18 Dec 2023 13:36

It says the video is private?

paulz
# Posted: 18 Dec 2023 15:24

Sorry, try again please. Havent used youtube in 10 years..

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Dec 2023 19:48

Wow Paul, you have quite a driveway to maintain! Dont go putting yer eye out lookin through that camera.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Dec 2023 22:28 - Edited by: paulz

Well it's longer than that, but that is the steepest part. After I muffed it on the cart I figured rather than finish a video I'd better get done for the day. All day between tractor and dump truck had me beat.

Back at the house now. Two days of rain and two more to go. Hopefully that stuff stays put. It feels pretty well packed just driving over it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.