Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Ol school toaster
Aklogcabin
# Posted: 12 Nov 2023 10:31

Earlier Paul showed us a picture of his lp toaster. He was using it on his portable grill. I use it like this. And with a piece of foil over it to reflect the heat back on it helps too.
I just set it on top of the woodstove n put a nice wood ember from the stove on it. This is toasting chaga bread I make while at cabin
Toast
Toast
Bread rising near moose antler that was found
Bread rising near moose antler that was found

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Nov 2023 14:14

Oh Man, I could eat your toast!

Steve_S
# Posted: 12 Nov 2023 17:34

Damn, now I got the MUNCHIES !

paulz
# Posted: 12 Nov 2023 19:51

Yum that looks good! Only thing I've done to mine was wrap safety wire around the connections at the top. Keeps it sturdier and also an extra bit to hold onto if moving while hot.

travellerw
# Posted: 12 Nov 2023 20:05

Ok.. the bread looks amazing....

But you guys have to share your secrets. Every time I have used that kind of toaster, I find it just dries out the bread. Sure I get toast, but its just super dry.

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Nov 2023 21:13

Ive done some buttered lightly first
Toast
Then more butter

ICC
# Posted: 12 Nov 2023 21:43 - Edited by: ICC

I've given my opinion on this toasting method before. Basically I would rather eat my bread cold than use one of these. Or maybe use my wide flame propane torch.

I have a to slice cuisinart toaster than can do no wrong. A 4 slice as I have the left two slots set for one bread I commonly use and the right 2 somewhat different for another bread.

But, to each their own.

What is Chaga bread?

-izzy

travellerw
# Posted: 12 Nov 2023 22:07

After not having success with this, we have always done "pan toast". Just a slight smear of butter/margarine (or even a spritz with PAM). Then toasted on a medium heat pan. Made toast like that for 2 years..

However, I'm wondering if I was just doing something wrong. Maybe that device works but I was just and dummy and used it wrong (I do like big flame!)

paulz
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 09:34

I have no problem with my toast, maybe it’s because my stovetop has no open flame (it’s ceramic, like a Buddy heater) and I do keep an eye on it and the heat.

Or maybe I’m just not very picky about it, lol. I made some toast at my city house yesterday in a conventional toaster, about the same, or at a restaurant.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 10:50 - Edited by: Aklogcabin

Well it's not a custom high end toaster. But like most things in life if you get used to using them you can learn to make bread as well as any electric toaster. Except this uses no electricity. So nice for a remote cabin. A big hot ember helps and so does sitting on top of the woodstove. I have evended out the embers in the woodstove n set it in the stove before. This will brown the outside pretty fast n not cook the inside. But this method works pretty well. An ember this size put off a lot of heat. And insures it won't burn on the outside. I just grab a tongs n replace the ember when it cools.
Chaga bread. We have a lot of chaga near the cabin so grab a hunk on the way in. Keep a pot of chaga tea on the stove.
To make bread. Iirc it's 3 cups bread flour, bit of salt, package of dry yeast , in 1-1/3 cup approximately ,125 degree chaga tea. Mix, should look like thick pancake batter. Put in a sealed bowl near warm heat to rise a few hrs. Roll out on floured parchment paper n gather together. Have a 450 degree oven hot. Set the dough on the parchment paper in the oven for 30 minutes. Cover with foil for last 15 minutes for crispy crust. I just put foil on at beginning because I like a thick crust. If you want a loaf shape. Pick up the parchment paper by the corners n put it into a bread pan. I like to rub butter on it after it comes out to make the crust a little tastier.
Chaga bread
Chaga bread

ICC
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 14:38

Quoting: Aklogcabin
To make bread

Simple enough. I never mentally connected the word chaga to the mushroom.

I have not made bread in many years. I support the local in-town bakery. They have a variety of excellent loaves, incl a genuine sourdough, and a cheddar/jalapeno I could easily eat too much of. One nice thing is they also do a few breads in half loaves.

-izzy

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.