Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Found my cabin on google maps!
paulz
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 11:01 - Edited by: paulz

Satellite and street view.

Let’s see yours

Steve_S
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 12:05

Hahaha I just looked for mine. Nope still shows as uncleared forest. it's only been 7 years or so...

FishHog
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 13:10

I don't think i'm ever going to have a street view of my place. At least not in my lifetime

paulz
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 13:16

Quoting: Steve_S
Hahaha I just looked for mine. Nope still shows as uncleared forest.

Same here.
cab.JPG
cab.JPG

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 13:20 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

Mine is on Apple Maps but not google maps … its from 2021 still… keep waiting for an update. It’s funny because I know exactly when they took it. It was taken within a 2 week span between having the roof done, but NOT having the screened in porch done… so it’s just a platform where the porch is now.
9694DEF7C5E94794A.jpeg
9694DEF7C5E94794A.jpeg

ICC
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 13:37 - Edited by: ICC

No street view, the closest street view is the highway 6 miles away. (before wildfire)

-izzy
sat
sat

Nate R
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 13:59

Google maps hasn't updated aerial veiws around me for I think 9 years now...
But Bing maps is within 2 years!

Nate R
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 14:02

Forgot to add mine.
I know when this was from...my cabin is roofed, but the camper (in yellow) still there before I got rid of it. In red is my shed roof visible.
Cabin1
Cabin1
Cabin2
Cabin2

paulz
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 14:03

I could swear you could see my roof at some date. The map on my Iphone looks the same. Is Bing different?

gcrank1
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 14:29

I have a Google Maps pic that has to be 2020, another 'window of time' between spring and fall in our clean up of the site.
Place is a mess, looks like a small business plane crash debris field. We cleaned it ALL up by this time in 2020, sure would like to see a current pic!

ICC
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 16:59

If you use Google Earth rather than Google Maps, there are extra available features. There are mobile versions as well as a web browser, and a desktop version, Windows, Mac and Linux. Version Info

I like the desktop version.

Anyhow there is a time slider in Google Earth Pro. see image for screenshot.

-izzy
screen
screen

Nobadays
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 17:40 - Edited by: Nobadays

Google maps, really old picture.

Edit.... Wow Bing maps is within a year or two!
Screenshot_20231113.jpg
Screenshot_20231113.jpg
Screenshot_20231114.jpg
Screenshot_20231114.jpg

spencerin
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 18:50

I had no idea Bing Maps existed. Google Maps hasn't updated my place in 3 years; Bing seems to be within the past year.

Fanman
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 18:54 - Edited by: Fanman

Our cabin is in the middle of the picture. The middle of the three on the right is our old cabin, we didn't have to move far, but it's a bigger cabin and now our patio is on the cliff edge with a nice view of the stream down in the valley.

Street view will never see these cabins, but did capture my wife driving our camper along the road across the lake, not once but twice. There's no vehicular access to the cabin; those aren't roads you can see in the pictures, but gravel footpaths that wind through the community.
camp_aerial.jpg
camp_aerial.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Nov 2023 20:30

The ranch, you can see some of the campsites, well enclosure, cabin, shelter, shed...
doubleJranch.png
doubleJranch.png

paulz
# Posted: 14 Nov 2023 10:48

My 8 acre lot fronts a paved road. Here is my gate, the cabin is another 1,000 drive up the hill. Can’t hear traffic, unless outside and a loud truck goes by. At night, on the deck, you can see headlights go by if you peer through the trees.
IMG_1763.jpeg
IMG_1763.jpeg

drb777
# Posted: 17 Nov 2023 12:28

As you may suspect, county accessors also use online satellite maps to conduct assessments and reasons to inspect your property. In my case, a contractor hired by the county showed up one day, unannounced for an inspection. And told me he spotted activity on my acreage from online mapping. He had one of those magnetic signs on his super-fancy truck as his authority and right to check out anything as he pleased. I'll be keeping the gate locked at all times in the future.

ICC
# Posted: 17 Nov 2023 14:56 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: drb777
I'll be keeping the gate locked at all times in the future.

Some counties will not enter land with a locked gate or No Trespassing signs, if the county assessor bylaws prohibit access without the owner being present. Many counties have their bylaws written to permit access to properties with locked gates, No Trespassing signs or nobody answering the door. The assessor can ask questions (how many bedrooms, etc) but you don't have to reply. Assessors will usually just measure the outside. If they can't access the property they will estimate; maybe they will err on the high side? If one owns property there are taxes.

-izzy

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 17 Nov 2023 18:38

Here is mine from Apple Maps, google hasn’t updated my area in at least 5 years.
IMG_7633.jpeg
IMG_7633.jpeg

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 19 Nov 2023 19:39

Thankfully street view hasn’t made its way out to my neck of the woods.

Jackson
# Posted: 20 Dec 2023 20:03

No street view, just space. Amazing how small 20 acres look from a computer screen...
cabin_from_space.png
cabin_from_space.png

gcrank1
# Posted: 20 Dec 2023 21:40

Hey, your cabin looks just like mine!

paulz
# Posted: 21 Dec 2023 11:22

Wow nice! I have tried a hundred times, just tree tops. I do get a blue dot, guess that’s where it picks up my cell phone.
IMG_1976.jpeg
IMG_1976.jpeg

paulz
# Posted: 14 Mar 2024 13:12 - Edited by: paulz

When on Apple Maps how close is the blue dot that shows your phone? An image appears that looks nothing like my cabin, and if I walk around with the phone it seems to circle the image.

No idea how old the image is, what it is or what size it would be. Google maps, Mapquest etc. don’t show it, just trees. There was nothing here before and nothing else on my property that resembles it. Can’t tell if it’s a roof, floor, side of a structure..
IMG_2239.jpeg
IMG_2239.jpeg
190.jpeg
190.jpeg

paulz
# Posted: 20 Mar 2024 15:25

Quoting: Irrigation Guy
Here is mine from Apple Maps, google hasn’t updated my area in at least 5 years.

Take another look please. I was looking at mine today and it looks like it may have changed. Hard to tell since it's all just tree tops. I looked online, apparently they provide no date of images.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.