Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Headed South for the Winter
Nobadays
# Posted: 22 Nov 2023 13:48

Yep... way early for us! We made the decision to spend Christmas in AZ, having my wife's sister in Mesa up to our place in Payson over the holiday. As a plus just heard from our oldest granddaughter and she is visiting Phoenix over the Christmas holiday as well so will come up to see us! It's been 5 years since we saw her... busy with a military career.

So, looked like we would get out before much snow but the forecast isn't looking like it. Supposed to start snowing Thursday night and keep it up until Saturday mid-day'ish. Anywhere from 7" to 12" or more. I didn't put the tracks on the Geo Tracker but the snowmobile is ready to go. I'm thinking I'll just run up and down the road Friday and Saturday and pack it down. Hoping to button the cabin up Monday morning and hit the road. Should be dry'ish pavement once we get to it.

ICC
# Posted: 22 Nov 2023 18:02

Friday is forecast for a 90% chance of snow. No estimated amount so far. I'm keeping an eye on it.

Enjoy the family visits in AZ.

-izzy

Brettny
# Posted: 22 Nov 2023 19:02

I wish NY would get and keep snow this early. My cabin a few hours north on a plateau wont keep it until late december.

paulz
# Posted: 23 Nov 2023 09:33

Happy travels Nobadays!

Nobadays
# Posted: 25 Nov 2023 14:31

Well the storm didn't miss us. Went to bed last night with ~4" on the ground, woke this morning to 11" and 7°F. Forecast was for 9"-16" so count it lucky at 11"! It wasn't supposed to get so cold until Sunday and Monday mornings. I bet we are looking at negative numbers the next couple nights.

It is great having the backhoe/loader! About 20 minutes on the machine and 10 minutes shoveling and all cleaned up! I then took the Xterra down the access road to the main FS road... which hasn't been plowed either and probably won't be until the next storm. Dragged bottom some but wasn't an issue for the Xterra going down or back up.
IMG_1035.JPG
IMG_1035.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1037.jpg
IMG_1037.jpg
IMG_1038.jpg
IMG_1038.jpg

ICC
# Posted: 25 Nov 2023 15:37

The forecast ended up calling for 5 to 9 inches of new snow at the cabin here. Considering that the snow removal equipment up there consists of a shovel I decided yesterday to leave for home. Sure, the Tacoma has chains for all 4 wheels "just in case" as well as locking diffs, there are still 6 miles of hilly, twisty, narrow forest road cut into steep slopes that the FS never plows in winter. All the FS does is lock the gates. I don't need those kind of adventures any more.

-izzy

Nobadays
# Posted: 28 Nov 2023 10:11

Well made it back to the mountains of sunny AZ! 45° this morning here as opposed to the 0° yesterday morning when we left the cabin! Forecast for a high of 64° today, wohoo!

Looks like all the neighborhood pine trees decided to drop their dead needles on our place since we weren't home.... my wife said it looks like a bomb went off in our back yard. What a mess, the roofs are covered as well, and of course the flower beds. I may break down and hire a yard service guy to clean this mess up! Racking is still painful as my dislocated thumb is not really healed yet.... dislocated it in late August but dang it has been slow to heal. My wife says I need to go see a doctor to make sure nothing is torn.... I think it's just gonna take a long time to heal.

gcrank1
# Posted: 28 Nov 2023 10:42

I envy your temps! We awoke to 10f today (We are at home, 45min S of cabin) mid Jan temps for south central WI; and had a couple inches of wet snow before the C-Trough dropped in on us so its a hard base now for whatever comes next. Hope it melts off so we dont have an 'ice-base' all winter like last year.
Thumbs are slow healing but you are working it, 'home P-T' imo. Some advice from a pro for specific exercises might be a good thing. If you have full range of motion its a Good Thing.

Nobadays
# Posted: 28 Nov 2023 11:23

Quoting: gcrank1
Thumbs are slow healing but you are working it, 'home P-T' imo. Some advice from a pro for specific exercises might be a good thing. If you have full range of motion its a Good Thing.

I read it can take 6 months to a year for pain to go away and strength to return. I have full range of motion and it's just sore most if the time, some sharp pain at times. I just can't pick up things grasping between my thumb and fingers without pain. That, or doing things like raking or shoveling that requires strength in my thumb to hold the handle. It doesn't help that I only have one arm so I keep having to do things that irritate the injury on a daily basis. I'll probably go see a Dr but I'm pretty sure they can't do anything. When it first happened I had very little swelling... I iced it for a few days... and minimal bruising so pretty sure nothing was torn or broken. I reset it myself by trapping my thumb between my knees then just pulled it straight out until it went back in... yeah that hurt!

paulz
# Posted: 28 Nov 2023 11:43 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: Nobadays
45° this morning here as opposed to the 0° yesterday morning when we left the cabin! Forecast for a high of 64° today, wohoo!

About the same here on the coast, did hit 37 briefly.

Big redwood duff drop too. Ok by me, blows right off the deck and solar panels, soaks up mud, even gives a red holiday look!
IMG_1816.jpeg
IMG_1816.jpeg
IMG_1820.jpeg
IMG_1820.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 28 Nov 2023 14:33

Yeah, red and green Christmas colors
Beats our winter white imo

Nobadays
# Posted: 28 Nov 2023 14:34

I think if I lived in a forest like you do.... I'd just let them lie as well! Here in town everyone cleans them up and I hear the city can fine you if you don't because of the fire hazard.

I got the roof of the house blown off. Playing phone tag with a local yard guy. I'll just keep at after lunch
IMG_1041.jpg
IMG_1041.jpg
IMG_1042.jpg
IMG_1042.jpg

gcrank1
# Posted: 28 Nov 2023 15:08

That IS impressive, at least to this WI guy used to our typical pine tree needles.

ICC
# Posted: 28 Nov 2023 15:12 - Edited by: ICC

@Nobadays Looks all too familiar to me. I use needles for lighting fires in the wood stove, but I don't start enough fires to make a dent in the supply.

-izzy

Nobadays
# Posted: 29 Nov 2023 09:35

My wife and I got busy yesterday raking and blowing and got all the needles into piles.... while playing phone tag with the yard guy. Finally talked to him on the phone, told me $100 to load and haul the piles away. He came buy yesterday evening for a look and told me $50 as he already had a half a load on his trailer. He'll be back Thursday to finish the cleaning and haul it off. Nice guy and I'm told very dependable. I might hire him to clean up once and a while during the summer so our place doesn't look empty/neglected.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.