Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Camera offline
Nobadays
# Posted: 13 Dec 2023 10:06

A few days ago my cabin camera went offline. The last view was just after some snow flurries but I had panned around and the panels had already melted off. I have just installed a new AGM battery bank and Victron inverter and charge controller. Of course I'm running through my wiring in my mind... at all hours but especially in the middle of the night.... Going through all scenarios; battery bank down so inverter off, it'll come back on after tomorrow's sun... nope... a fuse popped... but why? A breaker tripped... but why? The SCC is dead...but why? The wiring is all burned up because I didn't protect something... yes I did!

Friends went yesterday to take a look... they could still drive up but I bet it's the last time... snow the next couple of days. I get a phone call from them, from our place. Immediately I'm relieved as they couldn't call unless the Starlink is up and the Starlink wouldn't be up if my wiring had all burned up!

For some reason my Soliom camera has dropped the wifi connection with the router. It has worked flawlessly for over two years. They tried to reset it and get it to reconnect but no luck. It is about 60' from the router and the signal is not full strength but that hasn't been a problem until now. I think after this storm they are going to try again. My friends feels like if they take it down and move it over to the cabin they can get it to reconnect. One friend was feeling pretty defeated yesterday... hopefully he does go back up and tries again!

paulz
# Posted: 13 Dec 2023 11:10 - Edited by: paulz

Hope he can back to it soon, nothing of value I can add..

But I am intrigued by your setup. You have a camera that you can pan around from your house? That must be neat. How much juice does it use? I just have a couple of 12v game cams, email me a shot awhile later after something trips them.

Nobadays
# Posted: 13 Dec 2023 13:47

It's a solar powered camera that has pan and tilt. I mounted it on a tree, on the hill opposite of the cabin. THIS IS THE CAMERA
It does have to have a wifi connection for me to login to the app and look at live feed or any activity. Starlink averages ~45w 24/7. My battery bank isn't big so I only. have 2 days of autonomy, thus the Victron inverter that will basically go to sleep at a set low voltage then wake back up when the bank starts charging back up. The camera will send a notice of activity... sometimes it triggers on windy days. Overall I have been happy with the camera. This is the first issue ever.

Here is a still picture from the camera.
soliomplus_IMG_20231.jpg
soliomplus_IMG_20231.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 14 Dec 2023 11:47

Well that’s pretty neat. My cameras are mainly for intruders, though by the time I got the email they’d be gone, unless they spent the night! Rather power down when away rather than leave the WiFi going.

Get it working?

Nobadays
# Posted: 14 Dec 2023 17:39

No not online as yet... they've had snow storms the last two days so I don't expect they will even try to work on it... if they even do... until they get dug out.

Brettny
# Posted: 14 Dec 2023 18:12

Do you know about how far away from your cabin that camera is? And is that the HD setting? That's a decent quality picture.

ICC
# Posted: 14 Dec 2023 18:42

That camera is discounted today, don't know for how long. I looked at it the day Nobadays posted the link and Amazon sent me a sale deal note today

-izzy

Brettny
# Posted: 15 Dec 2023 06:00

Icc that's the amazon smoke and mirror show. I have seen those types of cameras but cellular based for $69.99. I'm sure all the off brand ones are made by one of very few manufacturers.

Nobadays
# Posted: 15 Dec 2023 07:46

Quoting: Brettny
Do you know about how far away from your cabin that camera is? And is that the HD setting? That's a decent quality picture.

The camera is about 50'-60' from the cabin. The Starlink router sits high in the right front corner, so as close as it can be from inside. I think taking the camera down and 9ver to the porch would work as the signal strength would be 100%. As it sits it's about 50% .

Yes that is HD mode, default is SD but if I take a snapshot I do HD. That picture is actually kind of "cloudy" as it was early morning with the sun impairing the image on the left/east side.
soliomplus_IMG_20230.jpg
soliomplus_IMG_20230.jpg
soliomplus_IMG_20231.jpg
soliomplus_IMG_20231.jpg
soliomplus_IMG_20221.jpg
soliomplus_IMG_20221.jpg

Nobadays
# Posted: 15 Dec 2023 07:49

Quoting: ICC
That camera is discounted today

It is! I think I paid ~$120 for it a couple years ago... showing $99 today.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.