Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Snogos
Aklogcabin
# Posted: 17 Dec 2023 10:43

I enjoy reading the bushcraft forum. There is a good thread on snogos. We use them for access to our cabin tfor half the year. And I enjoy going out and spending a couple weeks setting a few traps. They are a big part of life in the last frontier. We have 6 of them. Our grandson just graduated up to a ski doo tundra. He outgrew his 120cc arctic cat youth snogo. He is now 7 years old and been riding since he was 4.
We have had a few cold snaps and the chaga should be good. I enjoy going out to the cabin and cruising around and finding some chaga. Or just hanging out with my beautiful wife for a few weeks. We now have 6 running around the place and hopefully today we will be out for a ride. Not much better in life than spending time with our family. Our 2 kids and their kids. The grandkids love riding with papa. And learning how to maintain them. Snogos have opened up a lot of Alaska for us and allowed us to go where most will never be able to get to. And watching the northern lights dancing in the sky while laying back on the seat of my snogo is trying inspiring.
Hauling fuel with our daughter
Hauling fuel with our daughter
My wide track out trapping
My wide track out trapping
Happy grandkids
Happy grandkids
Beautiful wife and Mt Denali
Beautiful wife and Mt Denali

gcrank1
# Posted: 17 Dec 2023 18:19

Surely no doubt a must-have there!
We often have years where my snow thrower doesnt get started so I figured a snowmobile wouldnt work for me unless it could convert to a riding lawn mower too, lol.
Not to say we dont get enough snow, or cold.....winter is real here. We have roads everywhere, and snowplowed regularly, so a car or truck is just fine.
Envy you getting the N-Lights though

paulz
# Posted: 17 Dec 2023 21:13

Very nice Ak! Thanks for writing it up, makes me wish I was there.

DaveBell
# Posted: 17 Dec 2023 22:30

Snowmobile vs sno-go?

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 18 Dec 2023 08:05

I gassed mine up yesterday. I’ve been so busy digging out from all the snow that I haven’t had time for a pleasure ride. With all the deep snow it’s going to be a “full throttle” ride! I know you have a bunch of snow out your way too!

Enjoy the good life!

FishHog
# Posted: 18 Dec 2023 08:17

Quoting: DaveBell
Snowmobile vs sno-go?

Just terminology. Northern Canada had called them snow-gos, eastern Canada has use ski-doo. But all really snowmobiles

I snowmobiled a lot all over Ontario for 20 years. Loved it and miss it but got too expensive. Now I just have an old Yamaha to get supplies to the cottage in the winter when I can only get the truck about 2miles away.

They are great fun and open up a lot of country you would never see without them

Nobadays
# Posted: 18 Dec 2023 09:14

Fun! We chose to come to AZ for the "snow season" this year. Just before we left Colorado we had ~foot of snow so I got my Yamaha RS Viking fired up and ran a few miles... yeah not quite enough snow but just a rock here and there that the skis hit. Next year maybe!

jsahara24
# Posted: 18 Dec 2023 09:44

Our cabin is in the lake effect snow belt off Lake Ontario in NY. Lots of snow is the normal up there, we have 4 snowmobiles now and enjoy going riding with the wife and kids.....

We have a significant trail system, that is maintained by local snowmobile clubs.....They run a sno cat with a drag to flatten the trails most nights, my favorite time to ride is 7am to hit the flat trails and beat all the traffic.....Stop for lunch and be back to the cabin by noon to enjoy the day around camp!

I always said snowmobiling is my favorite, just wish we could do it more of the year....

rpe
# Posted: 18 Dec 2023 11:22

AK, I'm with you! We've got a fleet of five fan-cooled snow machines, from 1987 through 2007 models. These have been reliable and easy to maintain.

We really enjoy winter cabin trips, and slow cruising on the snow machines through our back bush trails is great family fun. It allows easy access into back lakes and other scenic areas that require more effort in the summer. A chainsaw always comes along, as clearing and trail maintenance is often needed. And the best part - no bugs!

As our property isn't road accessible, being able to haul building supplies and other large items right up to the door with snow machine and sleigh has been a great convenience. Now if only we could get some cold weather to get this season started!
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 19 Dec 2023 10:18

Great rpe. We have a couple long track indys also. I've hauled a lot of freight with them. I have a polaris wide track now for freight. But riding the indy trails is nice. And as you wrote, just cruising around in the bush. We have a lot of chaga around and I like to go hunt it up with the indys. And you are correct about the chainsaw. A come along is nice tooooo. I'm thinking about installing a winch of the wide track. Be great for snatching fire wood. And when you get stuck

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 20 Dec 2023 16:41

My snowmobiles are sitting in the garage in MN just staring at me lol. Wanted to make a cabin trip over the holiday week but not sure if we’ll be able to!

kah68
# Posted: 14 Feb 2024 20:58

Love my Vk for camp work.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.