Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Small stick welder
toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Dec 2023 21:05

OK, have the big MIG, TIG etc etc etc at home, but many times, the need to weld something is there.

I was looking at those small ones, looks more like a weller solder pistol. But figured too compact, short lived, get hot etc.

So for under $80, got this 110V 140A (MAX) small stick welder. Figured be perfect and wasnt too sure on it. Well, it showed up at work today and I unboxed it and fired it up. I have to say, super impressed, Super easy starting (scratch start)

Welded butter smooth. Had another old timer watching, I told him to try it, he did, loved it also and bought one.

OK, no skin in the game, nothing in it for me, I was just super surprised at how well it worked, how easy it was to operate.

Now any little welding project, I can handle it, run it out to the project with it in back of my Mule and with my little Honda gennie in tow.

Many brands and types, all chicom units. But works great. Weight is 10 lbs
small welder.
small welder.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 29 Dec 2023 21:18

Nice. Been thinking about something like this.

Curious-How does the 140A @110v work? Most circuits at 110 are 15 or 20 amp. Does it have an inverter or something inside of it that steps up the amperage somehow? I would assume so… what does it draw from the outlet?

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 Dec 2023 11:11

Wonder if they are rectifying the ac into dc? The old small 120vac stick welder I have is hard to strike and carry, especially on lower settings for small/thin work. I think it would be better in dc.
The dual 120/240ac small one works better on 240 as did the larger buzz-box Lincoln my dad had.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Dec 2023 12:07

It is an inverter and it is DC. I tried it on 90 amps with a 3/32 rod, no issue.
Sure starts easy and sounds butter smooth when welding.
We have 20A outlets at work and I did pop the breaker, but other items on that circuit and I stuck the electrode.

I would imagine for full power, one needs a 30A plug? But it just has a 15A plug on the cord, very heavy cord, feels like fine multisrand copper for max current carrying.

Get an auto darkening helmet and dont even assemble the one that came with it, just toss it into the garbage.

Many times, I needed to do a small welding project at the JJ Ranch, this will resolve that. I may have to parallel my 2 Hondas

This is going to be perfect for all those small projects, no need to pull out the MIG or the TIG now. I bets its no longer than 18 inches, its super small for a welder that works as well as it does.

Link to welder I bought.

darz5150
# Posted: 30 Dec 2023 13:17

Damn. Thanks T.
Just bought one, had a $30 coupon.
$64 bucks and some change total.

ICC
# Posted: 30 Dec 2023 14:11

Nice find!

FYI, some small cheap welders are welding with AC current. It's cheaper to build as there are fewer parts inside the box. However, DC welding produces a smooth weld with less splatter, and a more stable, easier to use for beginners.

AC is the preferred system for welding aluminum. AC is also better when welding magnetic materials.

IF anyone is looking for what could be considered the ultimate small and vehicle mounted welder have a look at https://premierpowerwelder.com/shop/welding-systems/ Veeery pricey but uses almost no space. I had one in my rock climber FJ so we always had a welder when out in the boonies. Mostly it was used for fixing stuff on the vehicles of others I was traveling with.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Dec 2023 15:58

Quoting: darz5150
Damn. Thanks T.
Just bought one, had a $30 coupon.
$64 bucks and some change total.

I had some points also and it was about the same. I"m a well versed welder and was skeptical, but after getting this, was super impressed.

Give us a full report when you get it and how it works.

Brettny
# Posted: 30 Dec 2023 20:59

I recently needed a 120v welder for the first time in about 12yrs. Generaly I just use my 240v MIG that uses gas. I happened to break off the handle on my wood stove lid transporting it to the cabin. It was borrow a 120v welder to drag the thing home. I'm glad I didnt have to drag it home but becids that I dont have a use for such a small welder when my big one also welds small things.

The one i borrowed was just the cheap $80 HF Mig welder. It welded good enough.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Dec 2023 16:42

Quoting: Brettny
I recently needed a 120v welder for the first time in about 12yrs. Generaly I just use my 240v MIG that uses gas

Brett, I too have a MIG and a TIG welder at home with shield gas, both 240V units, this little welder is staying at the property for those "ranch repairs", simple stuff like welding a broken gate, broken part on Kawasaki Mule or anything like what you ran into with wood stove.

I'm not out much and its staying at the property.
My first project is a better locking system on my new power box.

travellerw
# Posted: 31 Dec 2023 17:41

I also recently bought an Amazon "Cheapy".. A YES brand and mine also welds pretty darn good, even on 120V (its dual voltage). I keep it at the cabin as well along with a "Cheapy" MIG equipped with flux core wire (no bottle to drag around and you can weld in the wind). I also have a wonder machine at home (Stick, Tig, Mig). It stays here and I use the other ones at the cabin (I have even welded powered by my inverter).

I use the stick when I weld on heavy stuff like tractor buckets or skid steer implements. The consumables are cheaper and I have more trust in a good 7018 bead. Flux mig for most other things (solar array, wood shed, ect ect..)

I have never taken any apart to confirm, but I think alot of the Amazon machines share very similar designs. They all seem to weld pretty good and get fairly good reviews.

gcrank1
# Posted: 31 Dec 2023 17:49

I favored the 7018 when I was working with my dad on the CATs and farm stuff (all I ever had for training was high school shop and 'on the job').
Ya'll got me tempted with this little unit even though I have the two cheap buzz-boxes.....rarely used. Partly because they are so, ummm...less than satisfactory.
Like the idea of the auto-dark helmet too with something hard to strike an arc it has to be an advantage.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Dec 2023 20:27 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Gcrank, I bought the auto darkening, its solar powered, so no batterys, brand was OEM, works great. I have a Miller helmet, auto darkening, $300+ and the cheaper OEM for $40 works just as good and the Miller needs batteries.

The 7018 is minimal splatter and smooth welding, I will probably just limit it to 7018 rods only.

$40 auto darkening helmet $31 if you clip the coupon

Nice to have hood closed, look exactly at your weld and start, it darkens fast as the speed of light.

Quoting: travellerw
I also recently bought an Amazon "Cheapy".. A YES brand and mine also welds pretty darn good, even on 120V (its dual voltage). I keep it at the cabin as well

traveller, you had the same idea I had. Yes, this unit stays as my little ranch repair unit.

mj1angier
# Posted: 1 Jan 2024 14:57

I also got one of these little units before Christmas. I have not had a chance to try it but I am wondering how well the genny made into my Ford F150 will handle it. that would make a nice "field repair" unit lol

darz5150
# Posted: 8 Jan 2024 13:02 - Edited by: darz5150

Well I got the little cracker box welder in. They sent me the 110 only 130 amp one. They said they were out of stock on the 140. But I bought it for 110 use anyway.
Actually pretty impressed really. We've got bad weather coming in so I didn't take much time to mess with it.
I used their rods on 1/8 inch bed frame rail. And some 3/16th thick flat stock.
Had it on 72 amps on the rail, and about 84 amps on the flat stock. Did pretty well. When I get more time I will try bigger 6013 rods on some 1/4 inch. But I have no doubt that it will have enough a$$ to weld it.
Bed rail
Bed rail
3/16 flat
3/16 flat
3/16 chipped and wire brushed
3/16 chipped and wire brushed

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Jan 2024 20:49

Right on Darz, I am using mine for those little ranch project. Every man need a means to glue metal together. I call my welders my hot glue guns.

darz5150
# Posted: 8 Jan 2024 21:21

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
I call my welders my hot glue guns.

Yessir. The ultimate hot glue!
It's like sewing metal with Fire. Lol.
Thanks again for the post.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 Mar 2024 08:37

OK, upgraded my home MIG welder, picked up a brand new Lincoln 210MP, this is multi purpose, will do MIG which is what I will use it for but can do stick and Tig (DC Tig) which I am not interested as I have a nice TIG unit.

I did just get a new 150A spool gun to weld aluminum for this. Pick up a smaller bottle of Argon.

Gave away my older Matco 220V MIG welder. Bought that new in the mid 90's
lincolnmp210frontlh..jpg
lincolnmp210frontlh..jpg
lincolnmp210RHside.j.jpg
lincolnmp210RHside.j.jpg
drawer1.jpg
drawer1.jpg
drawer2.jpg
drawer2.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 Mar 2024 08:46

I do have a TIG welder for aluminum etc.

And my favorite shop tool, the Hypertherm plasma cutter. This is a 60A unit and I have cut 1" steel and zips through 1/4 like the darth light saber
20211113_120909_resi.jpg
20211113_120909_resi.jpg
20211113_120929_resi.jpg
20211113_120929_resi.jpg
plasma2.jpg
plasma2.jpg
plasma1.jpg
plasma1.jpg

gcrank1
# Posted: 22 Mar 2024 09:19

I like that 'Light Saber' ref

smitbret
# Posted: 22 Mar 2024 10:59

Having a portable stick welder like that can be incredibly handy for various projects, especially when paired with a compact generator for power. And it's fantastic to hear that it's user-friendly and produces smooth welds.

When it comes to tools like these, sometimes the lesser-known or more affordable options can surprise you with their performance. It's a testament to the advancements in manufacturing and technology that even budget-friendly options can deliver excellent results.

ICC
# Posted: 22 Mar 2024 12:28

Nice new tools @toyota_mdt_tech! Does the welder accept 0.045 cored wire? If so it is quite comparable to the Miller I have that also does the triple. Did you get a deal on it as I heard they have a newer model with 5 more amps, though that is not even noticeable when working.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Mar 2024 11:26 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: ICC
Does the welder accept 0.045 cored wire? If so it is quite comparable to the Miller I have...

I got it for just under $1400. There is the new Lincoln 215i that has replaced the Lincoln 210MP I got.
Miller has a Millermatic 211. I used a buddys and loved it so much, so started to look around at new welders and knew I wasnt going to rest till I had one.

I am not sure, it came with a small spool of flux core wire which I am not interested in, but for portability, has a nice advantage. Pull suitcase unit off cart, grab flux core wire, 220V and 110V plug and do your portable welding.

Next time I boot it up, I will run through the screen settings and chose flux core, 1/4" steel and see what is shows. It sets it all automatically, of course, I can fine tune by setting volts and feed.

Another note, I was always used to amps when welding, now everything has switched to volts, so a little learning curve there.

ICC, what model is your Miller? 211?

I just checked the specs, it does do .045. It came with .045 knurled roller.

Lincoln 210MP

0.025 - 0.030 in and 0.035 in Drive Rolls
0.030 - 0.045 in Knurled Drive Rolls

I have ordered the foot control switch plug for the unit, but nothing else, in case its unique to this machine, got one coming just so I can if I wanted to, TIG with it (DC only of course)

ICC, do you have a spool gun? YESWelder makes a nice unit and they also have all the nice consumables for your rig. I got a bunch, top notch quality.

My MIG gun is much heavier than my old welder, was a Tweco Mini Mig, new unit is a Lincoln pro 175, none of my old consumables would fit. Much heavier stuff, diffusers, tips, nozzles, all different.
The YES Welder spool gun uses Tweco#2 stuff, so loaded up back 3 compartments of top drawer with all goodies for spool gun and gun fit in lower locker drawer. My cart is super heavy now.

ICC
# Posted: 23 Mar 2024 23:34 - Edited by: ICC

I got it for just under $1400.

Good price for that.

ICC, what model is your Miller?

Multimatic 220 AC/DC. A Millermatic 211 would be fine, but it is MIG only, no stick or TIG ability. The Multimatic 215 model has TIG and stick ability as well as MIG. I like that one very much. The Multimatic 220 is overkill for what I need. When my brother and I retired and sold the contractor businesses the MM 220 was one of the pieces of equipment that was excluded from the sale and found its way to my place.

The MM 220 has a very good duty cycle (about 50% at 150 amps) and it does pulsed DC TIG welding as well as regular AC TIG which was well suited to the type of work for which it was purchased. (stainless steel and aluminum). We had a hired certified welder; I am not that good at the specialty types of welding. The very old truck-mounted diesel Lincoln welder/generator can power the 220 for field MIG or TIG work. I have used the flux core wire in the field to avoid issues with gas being blown away. That's when I will often revert to stick welding straight off the Lincoln.

I do not have a spoolgun. It would be nice but a person must keep something on their wishlist.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.