Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Building experience...
husker16
# Posted: 30 Jun 2011 13:44

How much experience did you have when you first began building your cabin? Is a lot of experience needed to take on a project such as a very small, basic log cabin?

Just
# Posted: 30 Jun 2011 16:09

no experience needed,, but a good set of plans is a must for a newbe . Invest in some plans you will learn fast and not make nearly as many costly mistakes !!!

duncanshannon
# Posted: 2 Jul 2011 15:36

hi- just registered here! I joined "Country Plans" a few months ago and have decided to undertake the challenge of building a cabin in a few years. I don't have any 'real' construction experience (other than summer jobs in HS and college). That said, I'm taking all the opportunities to learn between now and then. I'm currently in the middle of a re-siding and re-windowing project at home. Some day will finish the basement, and then work my way up to the kitchen. I'm confident the skills can be learned, esp. with the right community & forum to back you up!

Just
# Posted: 2 Jul 2011 17:15

Lots of good help here, the search engine here works for most stuff or just ask and you will get lots of help. sounds to me you are getting some good experience at home !! even a old guy like me can learn a lot here. keep us up to date. I have a daughter named shannon she is in her40's, she and her family share a cottage with us. good luck

neb
# Posted: 2 Jul 2011 19:27 - Edited by: neb

You don;t need any experience but it does help. I have biult many homes in my younger years but sure can lose a few of the skills as you age. You will be fine with any determination and a will you can biuld a cabin. You have a lot of good help right here. Good luck.

Borrego
# Posted: 2 Jul 2011 22:24

Buy lots of the books at Home Depot and the like. Read, read, read!
I build for a living and still like to get as much info as I can. Especially when building an off the grid cabin, sometimes all the regular rules are out the window so beware........

husker16
# Posted: 8 Jul 2011 00:56

Didn't realize I had so many replies, only got one email. The only building experience I have is a woods class in high school and pouring concrete one summer for my dad's concrete business. I plan on getting a book and just learning as much as I can. I won't have any opportunities to get hands on experience though.

fpw
# Posted: 8 Jul 2011 13:06

I had none. Learned to build....hand-scribed cabin, timber frame, and dovetail. Just have to read up and give it a try. Classes and info from those that have done the work are very helpful.

Note: The second builidng is much better than the first.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Jul 2011 17:05 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Best deal for log home builders is to join the Log Home Builders Association. Not a must have, but 99% must have. Once in, member for life.

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/

loki
# Posted: 29 Jul 2011 13:11

if you need to make a birds mouth cut or some thing like that its best to practice the technique on scraps before trying it on the actual rafters.

Also some people make a scale model of their cabin,

Visualization is the key?

Malamute
# Posted: 30 Jul 2011 11:54 - Edited by: Malamute

I had some construction experince from working with a guy for a season, then did a log garage with a couple guys. Built my first cabin when I needed a place to live. Looked at the picture of Rowlands cabin in "Cache Lake Country" and said, "I think I can do that", and did. Turned out alright. Built several more over time, as someone said, each one get better. So far, I haven't had any plans or blueprints on paper for any of the houses I've built, just an idea, and started in on it. Guess I put some rough sketches on scrap cardboard or paper for the concrete guys when they showed up and asked what I wanted.

First cabin from the ground up,

neb
# Posted: 30 Jul 2011 13:28

Malamute

You have done a great job. I also just draw what I want on paper and go after it. I built my own home and have done some other homes as welll through the years. My small shack was th esame way. Have a plan and start building. Great job.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.