Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Henry's cabin
Author Message
DRP
Member
# Posted: 5 Oct 2026 08:11pm
Reply 


I was looking through old pics. Way back in the day. Dad was working in the neighborhood and a local eccentric handyman/ house painter/ archaeologist was rooting around. He found the remains of Thoreau's cabin. He hired Dad and they built a replica on the man's property nearby while pouring through the book, which is not a construction manual.

There was another guy that would come around and check out the trees that they would fell while clearing lots for houses. He would take a tree here and there, have them sawn and make furniture from them. A few clients ended upo with furniture from trees from their land. Dad is getting older, he said he was George, a Japanese guy. I asked, Nakashima? Dad said "Yeah, do you remember him?" I said no, but I know he did allright :D.

I've got another old pic of me, big Sis and Grandad in Walden pond from that period. Mom said I was blue from the cold but wanted to keep playing in the pond :D. Funny, that was over 60 years ago but is still vivid in my memory.
Walden.jpg
Walden.jpg


gcrank1
Moderator
# Posted: 5 Oct 2026 09:01pm
Reply 


I read Walden as a HS Freshman, and a bit later A Sand County Almanac, both made a lasting impression that led to 'cabineering'.
GREAT Stuff!

DRP
Member
# Posted: 5 Oct 2026 09:38pm
Reply 


I reread A Sand County Almanac last winter.

DRP
Member
# Posted: 5 Oct 2026 10:06pm
Reply 


From my drive today, I guess this would have been around Thoreau's time period . We had an iron gate powder coated for the job. The shop is on one of those furnace roads. There are, well, I think today I know of 8 furnaces along this line through the mountains. They were not all on line at the same time but each one consumed acres per day of charcoal.
Walton_Furnace.JPG
Walton_Furnace.JPG


Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.