Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Happiness is...
Rob_O
# Posted: 4 Aug 2011 21:02

So I finished up a little early today and decided to do some work at the property.

Was there all of about 5 minutes and my neighbor comes rolling up the driveway on his bulldozer... "See if you can figure out what's wrong with this temperature gauge, here's the keys, bring it back whenever you're done using it"

While we're standing there talking, my other neighbor comes strolling out of the woods... "talked to my wife, we spent $3k on materials to run that high voltage line back to our house. Gimme a grand of that back and you can tap into it"

Wish I could have done a little more work while I was there, but I'm insanely happy about the other stuff. Hitting the neighbors powerline should save me enough to move my build schedule up a year, and the bulldozer will turn a major clearing project into light work

Next project: Convincing the city guys to give me an electrical permit without having all the other permits

hattie
# Posted: 4 Aug 2011 21:23

Woo Hoo...Sounds like you've had a great day Rob_O....I think I'd be picking up a lottery ticket too (sounds like you are on a winning streak). *S* Congratulations!!!!

Just
# Posted: 4 Aug 2011 22:05

Good neighbors make good neighbors , there must be some of each there !!!

nicalisa
# Posted: 4 Aug 2011 22:35

would you mind mailing me your horseshoe?? it has been an awful week at work and I could use the luck you have!

PA_Bound
# Posted: 4 Aug 2011 22:45

I'm jealous,... I think I got your share of bad luck this week!

Malamute
# Posted: 4 Aug 2011 22:51

Ask them for a temporary permit for working on the land, weekend use, and construction. Should be extendable also if you don't get under anyones skin.

Here, no other permits are connected to the electric permit, it just allows the power company to start running your lines in and set a meter. On your own place, many locals will allow you to do your own wiring. I've run all my own wiring for main services on my own places. The power company only runs line to the meter, it's our responsibility to get it to the house.

Rob_O
# Posted: 5 Aug 2011 01:29

I'm going to see if the county will allow me to set up a "portable" shed type building and run power to it. If that flies I can precut everything at home and frame up a 12*20 on site in no time

My state allows homeowners to do their own electrical, and I will be doing everything but pulling the high voltage line in the underground conduit and setting the transformer.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Aug 2011 06:49

temp. pole is what you want..............
i had one at my hunting camp for 22 years........temporary is a long time.
they will hook up a temp pole, if you are going to drill a well, got to power for the well pump.

neb
# Posted: 5 Aug 2011 20:43

Rob_O

What will it cost you to tap your neighbor's power line? Most electric comp. will have a pay back to the person that brings the power to a point and will refund them a portion of their cost for aid of construction they paid to get it to their land.

Is it underground or overhead primary line coming to the house? You will still need to talk to the electric comp. to tap that line and I'm sure you are aware of that.

Rob_O
# Posted: 5 Aug 2011 22:46

Quoting: neb
What will it cost you to tap your neighbor's power line?

I'm giving him $1,000. I thought that was a great price and he's just happy to get a portion of his cost back. In this area the utility doesn't get involved with that part of the process

Quoting: neb
Is it underground or overhead primary line coming to the house?

The primary line goes underground half-way up his drive to his transformer and I'm going underground to my transformer. I've already started the paperwork with the utility to record the power line easement.

neb
# Posted: 5 Aug 2011 23:02

Rob_O

The utility will let you bury the primary line in and also set the transformer? They must tap the transformer you are coming off from is that right?

Rob_O
# Posted: 5 Aug 2011 23:28

I can run the line, and will set the transformer if they will allow it. I'm completely unwilling to connect to a live 14.4Kv line at the neighbors transformer so they will handle that part for sure

To be honest I'm not 100% sure who will do what at this point. My neighbor buried his own conduit and the utility did the rest. I will do as much as I'm legally allowed whenever it saves me money

neb
# Posted: 6 Aug 2011 00:01 - Edited by: neb

We will let consumer do the trenching and we will be there to lay wire in trench and do all the tub work and tapping the line. We want to be there so the wire is not installed wrong. In the area you live it may have to be in conduit for rock etc. It is very important that no rocks damage the cable.

We take off $1.00 a foot off of aid to const. if consumer wants to trench it himself. That is the cost we can hire someone to trench for.

How far is it from the tub you want to come from to get to your tub?

Rob_O
# Posted: 6 Aug 2011 00:45

Rocky soil around here, if they didn't require conduit I'd do it anyway. Cheaper to do it right once than to do a half-ass job twice

It's going to be about 750' from his box to mine. If I can get someone to trench it for $1/ft they can have the job.

neb
# Posted: 6 Aug 2011 10:12

The one thing with PVC pipe is if there is a problem wth the wire you pull it out and fix or replace. There is no need to dig up wire ever again. We have done this many times with primary cable (7,200 volt) line.

It is a good way to install wire.

Rob_O
# Posted: 8 Aug 2011 22:56

Going to visit the permit office this week. They have been very friendly on the phone, hope they are as helpful in person.

Rob O
# Posted: 9 Aug 2011 13:13

had a slow morning @ work so I went to the county office. "Fill this out, sign here and give us $25 heres your permit and you don't need a permit for a storage shed"

I'm a happy boy!

Rob_O
# Posted: 12 Aug 2011 16:21

And unhappiness is...

meeting with the utility and them saying "Uhhhhh.... we don't know if we can put another transformer on the end of that line". They also want a 15 foot easement

I think the cost of admission for Grid Power just went up... a lot!

The neighbor also called, "Just sold the bulldozer"

URL

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 13 Aug 2011 08:13

Rob_O,
Funny, good music but I think with this group, you're never "down and out"

Rob_O
# Posted: 14 Aug 2011 23:29

Quoting: Erins#1Mom
with this group, you're never "down and out"

I'm not out, but this setback has me down. I've come up with a "Plan B" of hitting the shared line further up the neighbors driveway and closer to the lines at the road. Being out at the extreme outer edge of my utilities service area is not helping things

PA_Bound
# Posted: 15 Aug 2011 12:07 - Edited by: PA_Bound

Rob_O- I keep telling myself that if this was easy, everyone would do it! But I'll admit there are days that I throw my hands in the air and tell my family "that's it,... we're not building a cabin!". But then, a few days later, my wife will find me banging away on the Internet working on another Plan-B. I have a whole raft of Plan-B's!

I just had a well drilled on my property. We got some water, but not nearly as much as I would prefer and we had to go deep to get it. I got pretty depressed when I heard findings. But I reminded myself that some water is better than no water. And while I couldn't build a house attached to it, I wasn't planning to build a house anyway!

Now I'm deaing with Septic. Again, another setback (permit requirements and installation costs). I'm working on that Plan-B as I write this.

Oh, and as for electricity,... that's a pipe dream for me unless I hit the lottery. And since I don't play...

Nothing worth while is ever easy.

Rob_O
# Posted: 15 Aug 2011 19:10

If plan B doesn't work out I build my "shed" and put a 75 watt solar setup on it. Plan "C" involves a ditch 1/2 mile long with power, water, cable, phone, fiber and whatever else I can stuff in there and I can't afford that right now

On the plus side, I found out a friend is working at one of the areas largest heavy equipment dealers. He told me he can possibly get me some *very* generous prices on equipment rental, as in the tow bill will cost more than the rental. Hope this turns out to be true

Every day is a new adventure

unixfmike
# Posted: 20 Aug 2011 02:53

I think the "Happiness is" part is having two kind neighbors. I live in a good neighborhood at my primary residence, and I cant say that I have met 2 neighbors as nice as you did.

--MikeW

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.