Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / using a shed as a cabin
Welderguy
# Posted: 16 Aug 2011 12:37

I am new to the site. I have found an 18x40 two story shed that want to turn into a cabin. I am looking at property in NC. How do i find out if this is allowed? I didnt see alot of useful info in NC bldg code, maybe i am looking in the wrong area.

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Aug 2011 13:00

Check with the local building permit/inspection department. There will be certain requirements that a cabin or other building meant to be lived in must have.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 16 Aug 2011 17:36

I am actually looking into something identical to this- buying a shed and converting for use as a cabin. MtnDon is correct however. The first step is to check with the permitting authority to see what the options are. In PA I have two options- upgrade the shed/cabin to meet the standard residential building codes (which can often be done on new sheds, for additional $'s) or permit the structure as a "recreational use property", which exempts the structure from conforming to the building codes but also carries with it certain conveying deed restrictions on how the property can be used now, and in the future (namely never for use as a full time residence). I will add here however that just because the recreational use cabin can be exempt from the building codes does mean it is exempt from septic requirements- those are managed seperately in PA. But your local permitting authority should be able to guide you on all of this.

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Aug 2011 18:09

Different states do things differently. Most will have the septic handled by a separate division/department. Here in NM the septic rules come first. There's also zoning rules that vary from location to location; that can prevent some types of use. Then the building dept rules. Start with the county and go from there. We in NM don't have the recreational prop use like PA and a few other states do.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.