Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / What was THE MOMENT you knew you HAD to have a cabin????
. 1 . 2 . >>
trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 12:37

Curious what motivates people to have the "get-away" place of their dreams while others just can't understand why anybody wants to "do the cabin thing".

For me "THE MOMENT" hit one cold winter night while snowmobiling in the UP of Mich. It was the first time I had been on the trails- my husband had many times. We had been snowmobiling all day with our son and his in laws in WI and then that evening we were to split off and head into Mi. to meet another couple. We had about 90 miles to ride till we got to the resort where they were staying. It was an absolutely beautiful night and the further we rode the less lights and civilization there was, until pretty soon there was just an occasional cabin here or there- all off grid in the middle of the forest. I knew at THAT moment that that was what I wanted too! Of course I didn't have to convince my husband! We took the next year and a half driving all over WI and the UP looking for just the right land for our budget. It's been quite an adventure and I'm still always a little sad whenever it's time to head back home after a weekend at the cabin.

How 'bout you...when was your moment???

Malamute
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 12:41

I don't recall an actual moment, but since I was a small child have always loved log cabins and wanted to build one.

Many years and several cabins later, I still love log cabins, and can't imagine living in anything else, or imagine living in a house I didnt build.

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 12:46

And a beautiful log cabin you have...

Montanan
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 12:53

I'm not sure there was one single moment for us, but when we moved to Montana from Colorado 8 years ago and realized how much more affordable land is up here, we knew we wanted to buy mountain property at some point. We both grew up camping/backpacking and have always loved the mountains.

At the time, we were just starting out in our careers and family life and buying property wasn't in the budget. We spent a lot of time at friends' cabins and our desire for our own getaway got stronger and stronger.

By last summer we both had achieved some job security and our kids were getting older and we started crunching the numbers. Between paying off our car loan and being done with daycare expenses (our youngest started kindergarten this fall) we decided we could finally take the plunge.

Doing so much of the work ourselves was more my husband's dream than mine, but we fell in love with a piece of property that was a much larger chunk of our total budget than we had planned. If we were going to have a structure on it, we'd have to save money by doing it ourselves...and now, looking back, I wouldn't have it any other way. There are so many rewards from doing it yourself. I love the sense of accomplishment. And so many of our friends and family have chipped in with materials (i.e. got the windows free from a friend, appliances from another friend, etc.) that there is a story in every piece of our cabin. I love it!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 13:02

And a beautiful log cabin you have too Montanan...

Gurlugon
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 13:53

It was when I spent some time up in New Hampshire at a cabin. That was a log cabin; right now, I'm saving up money for a small plot of land and either a little A-frame or small cabin with a loft. Suppose I need to make up my mind!

smitty
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 16:20 - Edited by: smitty

I was sitting here at my laptop, watching Youtube videos, and stumbled on "Solarcabin" on the tube.. A light bulb went off in my head right then.. LeMarr absolutely get's all the credit for opening our eyes to what was possible on a limited budget.. 1 year later, lots of figuring planning, and changing plans, and more planning, and more talking.. We are on our way. Slow but sure, 1 step at a time.

canadiangirl
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 17:49

The moment for us came after we purchased our land in 2010. Initially we bought land thinking one day we or maybe the kids would build something on it but until then we would just clear it (2011) , get some grass growing (2012),eventually pitch a tent on it(2012-13) , work our way up to a camper(2015) and then when the kids grew up we would maybe build a cottage (2020). That plan didn't last long lol and the dream of building started that first picnic we had on our property. We sat there envisioning our hide away for the world. Finding this sight has inspired us to live our dream now rather than later. We started building in March and have spent the majority of our time there since. It is so peaceful and relaxing I could stay forever.

bugs
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 18:29 - Edited by: bugs

For us things came in stages.

I was raised on a small farm. In her early years the lady wife was raised on a cattle ranch. So we both appreciate rural life and the livestock, wildlife and space associated with it. After many decades living in the city we began missing the rural life style.

We did a fair bit of car camping (including the Alaska hiway) , back packing in the Rockies and staying in resort cabins. Over time we developed a dislike for camp grounds where you never knew whether you would have considerate neighbours or not.

The big moment for us came when we realized we were tired of traveling/flying whether in Canada or Europe. To us air travel became almost torture. This last revelation freed up many $$$$$ which enabled us to start seriously thinking about purchasing some recreational land (not a resort lot/cabin type) that we could escape to regularly. Then we had the good fortune of finding some interesting "wasteland" for sale and the rest, errr, as they say, "is history".

Now, with us being involved with renting hayland etc, in some ways, we seem to have come full circle, back to our agricultural roots.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 18:45

I grew up on a small farm in the mountains of northeast tennessee. One lane dirt road off the then two lane dirt road. The only time we saw someone other than family was if someone was lost.
Then I grew up, married and my husband (city boy) wouldn't live in country. That was early 80s and I have been thinking about it since. Every day.... Money's tight and savings are gone due to drug addicted daughter. But, the dream is still there. Have general area picked out, my brother and friends fencing for me, and have septic permit.
That little yellow piece of paper is a start!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 19:10

We bought vacent land in the early 1970's. We camped all those years and in 2006 finally hired someone to build us a hand scribed log cabin with our white cedar trees. We wanted to build it ourselves but could never get enough time off from work.

hattie
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 19:34 - Edited by: hattie

We came to this area to stake a placer claim (we enjoy recreational gold panning). The only place in town we could stay in were some run down cabins. We shared our cabin with a mouse and heaven knows what ewwwww.....We loved the area and spotted the cabin we now have, for sale. They wanted $45,000 for it and Hubby said that was too expensive. It included 5 lots but had no water, septic or electricity hooked up, plus there was a bullet hole in the front window and the place was covered in graffitti inside.

One year later when we came up to do more panning, it was still for sale so Hubby asked at the real estate office and they said, "a deal just fell through." Hubby asked how much and they said it was for $25,000. Now we were getting closer. *S* Hubby offered $19,000 and the deal was done.

We came up here for a few years and used the place as a cottage but hated to leave. After my Dad died suddenly we decided life was too short and you just never know what will happen. We put our house on the market and it sold within the first week so here we are. Never regretted the decision one bit and we both hope we never have to leave. We truly believe that this cabin had been waiting for us all those years it sat empty. *S*

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 20:28

Awwwhhhh good stories...I find this so interesting... I want to hear more...

Borrego
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 22:38

We had always loved the desert, camping, hiking, 4 wheeling, etc...It is a magic place! Then we met some friends who had cabins/small homes in a 'very loose' community in the desert. We fell in love with the concept and these people. And ever since I was a kid, I've always wanted to build a house all by myself. I read a story about a Vietnam Vet who survived all the torture by building a house in his mind, and then actually did it when he got back to the States. This inspired me, and being a contractor, It came easier, but not all that much :-)
So we pursued the dream and waited for years and finally got our 'place in paradise' We are still in the process of building and it is a dream in the making. We are locked out in the summer due to the extreme heat, but will be back out there in a month going at it strong!

BlaineHill
# Posted: 28 Aug 2011 23:44 - Edited by: BlaineHill

I feel more like Richard Dryfuss in "Close Encounters" where he is sketching and building those forms of mountains without knowing why. The obsession outweighs the practical reality. I think it will become clear someday.

groingo
# Posted: 29 Aug 2011 19:17 - Edited by: groingo

Over the years I kept getting so ticked off as I reduced my power consumption yet for every move forward the Power company would raise my rates, one time they increased their rates four times in one year pretty much erasing any gains.
So I spent the past 7 years studying and building to see what worked and what didn't and was that an eye opener.
This year I built my second generation small home which will contain all knowledge gained and some I hadn't a clue where it came from.
Lessons learned were to keep it simple and rather than try to work around obstacles....remove them by finding the balance of living comfortably and doing without and alway look outside the box and to history, that is where your answers will reside....if you have the courage.

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Sep 2011 02:14

when i was a child.my dad bought and moved an old plantation shack onto our property at black lake,la.
from that moment i was in heaven...and have been trying to get back there for 50 plus years.
thru the years my parents divorced,dad and mom died and my brother got a hold of the deed to the property.then he lost the cabin.i thought i would never see it ever again.
recently i went to get the mail and brother had sent me a picture he found of our cabin.i cried and cried and still can get a big boo hoo going to just think of me getting to see that dear ole cabin again.Brother told me he has alot of picture s of our cabin from the outside.the one he sent me was in the kitchen with my uncle humbug.such a joy to see.now me and the mister have our own cabin and are planning to move out there in a couple of years.i love it so much out there...

suburbancowboy
# Posted: 1 Sep 2011 18:04

When the wife moved out and married my friend down the street. The cabin is just about far enough away from them.

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 Sep 2011 22:47

Ouch!

smitty
# Posted: 2 Sep 2011 09:00

Dang..

dmanley
# Posted: 4 Sep 2011 18:20

When our favorite camp ground was full because you could reserve sites over the internet, it was time to have our own 'campground'.

naturelover66
# Posted: 4 Sep 2011 23:40

I had been dreaming of a place to enjoy nature for years......... a place away from the noise, violence and pollution of the city.
Then a life threatening health issue made me realize -- It now or never.
I bought a little cabin....... a place in the heart of beauty....... a place to go for solice and peace. A place to be happy.
Sometimes life throws you a curve ball......... and you really realize every day is a gift to treasured.

My cabin is now nick named my "happy place"......... Im done dreaming. Im living.

Malamute
# Posted: 5 Sep 2011 00:55

Well said 66.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

My sig line on other forums.

naturelover66
# Posted: 5 Sep 2011 13:33

Very nice........ that does sum it up.

trollbridge
# Posted: 9 Sep 2011 10:13

These are great stories. Interesting the reasons everyone has for having a cabin isn't it?. Congrats to all of you for making it happen :)

hilltop
# Posted: 9 Sep 2011 19:30

I am the 3rd generation to have owned the land I have now.
My Grandfather worked it as farmland. Then my Dad wanted to build a cabin on it back in the late 40's as it was no longer farmed but he never got around to it, ( job, children, etc).
We were going to put one up together in mid 80's but we never seemed to find the time . Then my dad passed away in 1989.
I spent the next 18 years playing around on the land saying some day I will put a cabin up.
In 2007 ( while cutting trees on the land ) I had a heart attack at age 50, totally surprise as I was a commercial pilot getting a medical exam every 6 months.
Fully recovered and 6 months later had the cabin build I had always wanted.
About the best money I have ever spent.

hattie
# Posted: 9 Sep 2011 23:09

hilltop - I'm glad you were given a second chance at life! Enjoy every moment!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Sep 2011 11:43

Congratulations hilltop and thanks for the eye-opening post. I hope you enjoy every second you are at your cabin. I'm sure you father and grandfather are both looking down at it with a satisfied look on their face.

Tim
# Posted: 16 Oct 2011 19:54 - Edited by: Tim

I was thinking.....(always a problem) lol. Thinking about how people, including me, are ever going to afford to retire with the economy, and loss of retirement funds. Sitting and doing some research on the computer, I discovered a huge movement of people who are buying and living on houseboats. 400 to 500 square feet house boats! They are able to live on under $600.00 a month.

This intriqued me, but it almost requires moving south, and on the coast somewhere. My wife and I discussed this, and she was all for it, except not wanting to live that far from our children and Grand Children, who live near us here in Ohio.

Next, I came across tumbleweed homes. If you aren't familliar with these, you really need to google it and check them out. They are fantastic little homes, mostly, but now all, built on trailers. Most of them are around 100 to 150 square feet. My wife and I again had a little discussion, but it didn't last very long! lol

Then we started talking about building a little cottage. Larger than a tumbleweed home, but still small = very little cleaning=very small heating bills=very small electric bills, etc. etc.

There is tons of information on the net, as most of you probably know, so here we are.

Our plans are to build now, have it paid for in a year and move in. Then bank most of our pay checks for 2 years, then retire and enjoy life for a change instead of working the 9 to when ever they "let you come home"!

I hope to be under roof before the weather gets too bad, and work on the inside this winter. It's gonna be close!

Tim

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 16 Oct 2011 23:36

Quoting: canadiangirl
The moment for us came after we purchased our land in 2010. Initially we bought land thinking one day we or maybe the kids would build something on it but until then we would just clear it (2011) , get some grass growing (2012),eventually pitch a tent on it(2012-13) , work our way up to a camper(2015) and then when the kids grew up we would maybe build a cottage (2020). That plan didn't last long lol and the dream of building started that first picnic we had on our property. We sat there envisioning our hide away for the world. Finding this sight has inspired us to live our dream now rather than later. We started building in March and have spent the majority of our time there since. It is so peaceful and relaxing I could stay forever.

This is exactly how it happened for us. We both love the Northwest Arkansas/Southwest Missouri area and have been looking for some land in our price range "for future use." We mad an offer on one piece of land only to be rejected without even a counter offer. We found the piece of land we bought shortly thereafter for less than half the price of the first one and it has a creek running through it. Our original plan had us camping there for a couple years and maybe building a "shed" for shelter but then I stumbled across a book at the book store about building a small cabin and subsequently found this forum. I read and read and read and the more I did the sooner I wanted a cabin. We love our little piece of heaven so much. Whenever we go there we never want to make the 4 hour drive back home.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.