Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Your best tips for simple living.
<< . 1 . 2 .
Rifraf
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 12:06 - Edited by: Rifraf

We need to work, and deal with the pace of the world around us

You dont really need to work in the traditional sense.. there are options to that as well. Thats my favorite part about full time cabin living. I dropped my high mortgage for a piece of land , small cabin shell and time enough to finish that into a living space for myself wife and kids. The size is about 340 sq ft not counting the lofted sleeping areas, its not finished just yet but I estimate my utilities will be cut in half if not more from my previous 2500 sq ft house.

Im a software engineer, I was working for a company 10 hrs a day sometimes 6 - 7 days a week. Im not lazy but I dont want to be owned by anyone anymore. So ive chosen to reduce my financial needs so I can work part time from home taking contracts I choose. So far I do not regret leaving the "pace of the world" behind and walking at my own pace.. ive not been this free and happy since I was a kid, once I realized this was going to work for us I started wondering why more folks dont do it :)

Now my wife is a school teacher and loves her job so she will continue to do that in our new location.. but now all of her money can go into savings.

So my best tip, use your cabin to relax and move at your own speed at least from time to time.. If you have kids a cabin off the beaten path can be a great place to connect, thats what its there for right ? Nature walks and Campfire cookouts are nice too

sfrock
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 22:30

Well probably the best way to live simply is never to get ahead of yourselves. I mean, you should be able to work well within your means, even though it could be so small or so scarce.

It is also great to think of leaving on a self sustaining concept which means that you are going to grow whatever stuff you need, though that will take a lot of conscious effort and work on your part.

Buggy
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 00:44

Our cabin has no electricity, no cell service, gravity fed spring as our water source, and propane lights and stove. Spend our time doing the following:
1) Flyfishing in our float tubes on the lake
2) Reading
3) Hiking
4) Playing games (cribbage, dominos, backgammon, cards, etc.)
5) Shooting our bb guns at targets
6) Cooking with the Dutch Oven
7) Sitting by the camp fire
8) Cabin projects

Carmichael
# Posted: 6 Feb 2012 14:02

Great to hear you are moving on, I am 1 year away, prebuilding everything that possibly can be required while still close to a city for supplies. My venture will be with three kids. I wish you luck and hope you have preplanned well.

skootamataschmidty
# Posted: 10 Feb 2012 14:42

We have no landline and cell service is spotty at best. No electricity either but when necessary we use a generator. No TV, no computers! Love it!

One of my favourite things is just sitting on the adirondack chairs on the porch and watching nature!

On cooler nights when we are inside we have enjoyed hours of fun playing hockey with this vintage hockey game (see picture). The kids have a blast an we play for hours!
vintage hockey game
vintage hockey game

rayyy
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 14:37

That snug,cozy feeling when your inside all nice and warm and dry.I'm watching it snow right now out the window as I sit here playing on the computer sipping on a cup of coffee.Throw another log in the wood stove and enjoying the peace and quiet.

larry
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 19:58

our stay at our cabin is simple. our best source of entertainment if a solar feed spreader placed 60 yds from the cabin. the corn brings in all types of critters,deer,turkey and grouse are most common. we like to sit on the deck with drink in hand and fire in the pit. our two kids have the run of the land and love it. i could go on forever but i wont. i guess I'm just missing being there,,,c'mon spring!

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.