Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Need some birch-bark knowledge please
trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 20:20

With winter coming my mind is starting to think about all of our indoor projects. My husband wants to make our bed out of logs and I would LOVE to have it made out of birch. Thing is, I want to leave the bark on. Can this be done? I don't want bug problems and also what happens as the logs dry out, will the bark separate and be prone to falling off? It is something I haven't seen done much and wonder if there is a reason? Anybody have experience with this? Thanks.

Malamute
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 20:54

My first thought when seeing the thread title was birch bark, like the bark, you wanted to make something from it. I was going to suggest the BushcraftUSA forum. Then, seeing your post, again thought that may be a good place to ask. Lots of woods-crafty type folks there.

I don't know how tight birch bark stays after the wood dries out.

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 21:06

Oh thanks Malamute-sorry I was unclear. Thanks for your suggestion. I will check it out. I did read that the logs should be harvested during winter-something to do with the sap and that helps the bark stay attached. When I google search birch bark furniture it is not the white papery bark I am use to seeing around here.

Malamute
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 21:16 - Edited by: Malamute

Your question was clear, I was just thinking the bark from the title. The nothern Indians and woods type folks use birch bark for a number of things.

I posted the question on the BushcraftUSA forum, you can look and see what turns up if you'd like.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?p=797489#post797489

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 21:43

Thank you!

Malamute
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 21:52 - Edited by: Malamute

You're welcome.

One guy is PM'ing me about it. He said he didnt know, but thought it should be sealed. I just asked what he thought it should be sealed with. Will ask him to post his thoughts in the thread.

Malamute
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 22:05

Been a few comments, but so far, nobody saying they positively know the answer to keep it intact. Usually have some good info there, I'll keep an eye on it.

The guy that was PM'ing me posted.

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 22:16

Wow, there are a lot of answers in a short period of time! The bark looks so thin and the outer layer is but if one really sees the bark it is amazingly thick. If you sealed it would it absorb deep enough to be effective?

neb
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 22:34

Here is project I did with birch. I have had this for 20 plus years and the bark hasn't even started to come off yet. I made this to hang my bows from it and hang archery stuff. I let mine dry for about 2 years and carve and do crafts with it. I always have sealed mine with a good exterior varnish and have had no issues. I have some bark I striped off of logs and use just the bark. I throw it in the creek for a few days to soak and make one long cut and start to peel it off and works well also. The water makes it soft and easy to peal it off. I have made small canoe's about 12 inches long and have a turkey fan with white birch as the center peice of the fan. Good luck

Malamute
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 22:38 - Edited by: Malamute

It may just be a matter of sealing the porous nature of the bark, not so much penetrating thru it.

Hoping we get some more responses, with some experience in actual use, and what they recommend.

Cool Neb, thanks for throwing in on this. You posted as I was typing.

Anonymous
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 22:42

I have 4 birch logs I use in my fireplace in the summer months for decoration I have had them for 10 or more years and the bark is still tight and smooth If that is any help !!! It's Just i'm away!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 22:47

Yes Malamute, you may be right about sealing it. That is what neb said he did also.

neb, can you tell me how thick the bark is on the log in the picture? It looks to be about the size a bed post would be.

Thanks guys...I don't want to be gluing pieces of bark back on my bed every night!

neb
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 23:00

I would say about 1/8 inch. I just looked at the canoe I made and it is a little thicker then paper. Not sure if I helped but when I strip it from the wood I lay it flat the let it dry with weight on it. When done it is flat like a peice of paper. There is a semi bark and you can take that of also and would say that is about 3/16 of an inch.

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 23:26

Thank you neb!

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Sep 2011 11:33

I read that the logs should be harvested during the winter months because the sap is more "set in". Does anyone know what that means exactly? It said it helps the bark from separating. Would the logs need to dry before using them? I don't know much about sap and trees(obviously!!!) but is there actually less sap in trees during the winter or is it just frozen and thick? If there is actually less sap and less moisture during winter would the logs need to dry as long?

exsailor
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 08:28

trollbridge
You harvest trees in the winter because the sap is down in the roots. Where else would it go? The sap rises back up into the tree in warmer weather. That is why they harvest maple sugar sap after a hard freeze then warmer weather following. That was an example of what I was talking about. I am told on a log cabin building site that bark comes of easier, when the trees are harvested in the winter. Another advantage of a winter harvest is less moisture in the wood, also less sap to drain while working the wood.

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 10:20 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: exsailor
You harvest trees in the winter because the sap is down in the roots. Where else would it go?

Don't laugh-cause I already laughed at myself and hit myself upside the head! Duh...I feel foolish but I was thinking the sap pulled to the middle layers of the tree (the core) and that is why I couldn't quite grasp how it had less sap in the winter. It never dawned on me that it would go down to the roots of the tree!!! In that case, it makes perfect sense why there would be less sap if the tree was harvested during the winter! Thanks for setting me straight. I clearly still have a lot to learn about the woods!

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 13:03

I made a bedframe out of birch some 15 yrs ago and it is still in use today with not a stitch of loose bark! I cut the logs in summer but they dried out pretty good in the basement at home before I started making the frame.
I think this shows the frame
I think this shows the frame

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 14:36

Yes, that is what i wanted to do and I was wondering if the bark would hold. I see it will! We ended up buying an antique iron bed instead-just stumbled across it one day at too good of a price to turn down. I hope we can use birch logs for future projects...they are so pretty.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.