Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / So here we are, the fall of 2011
rayyy
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 06:03

How's everybody doing? What the progress report on your projects? Cabin building,additions,wood stoves,wood pile,water systems? Power systems? Gardens,critters,kids,grand kids?

dstraate
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 10:33

Heading out after work today to put in a wood stove. I was bummed to find that pipes, connectors, and chimneys cost far more than the stove itself. Oh well, you can't put a pricetag on a nice warm fire when it's 20 below...

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 11:33

dstraate, it was shocking for us as well! Good luck on your install. I hope it goes very smoothly for you-your going to need the heat!

bugs
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 12:02

Hey ravvy

Hope all is well.

We got our 3 cords of firewood stacked in our yard at home (... almost looks like a cabin in the back yard complete with a stream and pond) and are already into the wood burning season.

We are ordering a vented propane heater today. The guy actually worked up a complete kit for us with all the tubing regulators etc. It is going to be the only thing at the cabin that will be code!!. As dstraate and trollbridge mentioned the extras almost cost as much as the heater. If the heater works we will have a four season shack.

Last trip out we got a chance to visit with the neighbour who is renting our hay land. He said he got 60 1,400 lb bales off the 80 acres that was in production. We are charging him for 5 bales just to cover the cost of the taxes on the land and to keep the GST tax people happy.

As it happens he has a gravel truck, back hoe/front end loader and skid steer. He also has a free source of gravel. So we asked him to put another 50 yards of gravel on our driveway and yard. And when winter comes he will check to make sure part of the driveway is clear for us. He says he will only charge us for the gas!!! Next spring he plans to get the entire 160 acres of arable land into alfalfa/hay production. And we still have petting rites to all his horses and cows. We might even get some horse riding time in. The lady wife is horse crazy.

Anyway we are kind of looking forward to curling up this winter and making it out to RDL, when weather permits, for some snowshoeing and see what the trail cams have "seen".

bobrok
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 13:01

Projects completed:
Jacked my shed onto railroad ties.
Finally took off the tarp and put a real roof on same shed.
Built racks and installed four 55 gal barrels in shed for water storage
Installed water filtration system for pumping lake water into barrels and hose system for feeding water to pump/cabin
Installed generator in shed with outside exhaust
Wired quick disconnect outlets from shed to cabin for generator power
Cobbled together rain gutter/downspout system mostly from salvaged materials

Most important project: married off daughter; gained wonderful son in law in the process

To do:
Build stairs to lake
Build a small dock and deck at lake

Important reminder to self:
Quit working 24/7 when at cabin and start enjoying fruits of labor because you are not getting any younger
Invite daughter and son in law to visit at cabin

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 13:33

bobrok-------you've been a very busy guy! Your first reminder to self is one we need to remember as well :)

naturelover66
# Posted: 29 Oct 2011 11:55

well my husband and I had the best summer....... we installed insulation we painted we did floors we drywaled..... we planted blueberry bushes.... we planted flowers and trees and made natural flower beds around the cabin. we saw so many beautiful animals and were actually reminded they were stars in the sky we haven't seen in years. getting away from the city and the light and the buildings... and the polution was wonderfull. I just may have had the best summer of my life. I feel so lucky to have this cabin. Lisa

Montanan
# Posted: 29 Oct 2011 12:01

It's great to read these project summaries.

We're in the last month of our construction loan so we are trying to finish up the "must dos." My husband is at the cabin this weekend doing the following:
-concealing wiring
-installing overhead light fixtures and ceiling fan
-putting the last of the T&G on the interior wall, now that the electrical is done
-installing skirting around perimeter of the cabin foundation base (we're on piers) and beginning to stack rocks for the final foundation perimeter
-CHOPPING FIREWOOD! We need a lot more wood to get through the winter

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 31 Oct 2011 20:19

Sadly, I have done nothing.... Well, build fence and put up gates to keep folks away. No dirt has been moved. I was determined to get something, anything done to show I was on my way but work and daughter have gotten in the way.
I am happy to enjoy all the postings from others. It is so exciting!
How many will be able to access your cabins during winter?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Nov 2011 00:31

This year, I finished my full kitchen cabinet install, trimmed out the entire cabin, installed chimney/stovepipe, its basically all done except the wood flooring. I had 4 runs wire barbed wire fence ran around the entire 20+ acres for security. Head back in spring for flooring and then its all done except decorations.

AYP1909
# Posted: 2 Nov 2011 15:38

I winterized the well, covered the cab of the old GMC truck with a tarp, cut nearly 2 cords of firewood, and burned some old corral posts and rails. Most of the cattle have been rounded up and moved down the valley and I helped my neighbor place heaters in her water troughs. It has been below 20° F a couple of times but the days hit the mid 50s. I love the fall. A light snow dusted the hill tops about a 1000 feet above us on Monday; it won't be too long before winter arrives.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 2 Nov 2011 18:14

AVP1909,
What state? Not sure I could handle 20 below. I, too, love fall but that's temp in the 40 -50s.

AYP1909
# Posted: 3 Nov 2011 11:28

Washington. That's below 20° F not 20° below zero; now that would be too cold for November.

Timberjack
# Posted: 10 Nov 2011 19:59

We've been busy this fall also. I cleaned out all of our trails, planted our food plots for the deer and turkey, and put our game cameras out. We're almost done building our equipment shed too, pics to follow.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 11 Nov 2011 18:28

Haven't gotten up near as much as I would like..both my sons (10 and 12) play travel soccer....say no more.
But...last week I had an ambitious work weekend...went up my self, took down a few trees, stacked wood, burned brush, cleaned up the landing around the bunkie and organized my cooking box (tupperware)...also got brave and took down a dead 60ft.dead jack pine, that was starting to worry me...and put away the water pump.
Nothing heroic...but boy, what a satisfying drive home Sunday evening with my lab pup asleep in my lap in the truck and Tim Horton coffee in my hand.
let there be fire!
let there be fire!
stacking poles for next year's trapper cabin
stacking poles for next year's trapper cabin
some of those suckers were heavy to carry
some of those suckers were heavy to carry
home sweet 10' x 14' bunkie home...
home sweet 10' x 14' bunkie home...

Hick
# Posted: 17 Nov 2011 21:58

My wife and I stayed busy this year. We finished two porches to help keep the snow away from the cabin. We were able to get the wood stove connected and going. This will be a big help in the winter time when we snowmobile in. My sister was going through some tough times so, we had her come out to get away from everything that was going on. The only problem with that was we had to get the loft above the garage done. The garage cabin is 14x12. The loft area is even smaller 12 x10. Small but she was more than happy. My wife and I both love what everyone is about on this site. Great source of info. Please keep all the good post coming.
Porches
Porches
Wood stove
Wood stove
Guest loft
Guest loft
Bed in guest loft
Bed in guest loft

Timberjack
# Posted: 21 Nov 2011 09:07

Finally got around to taking some pics of the shed I built:
shed.jpg
shed.jpg
shed2.jpg
shed2.jpg
shed3.jpg
shed3.jpg

dk1393
# Posted: 21 Nov 2011 09:59

Beautiful shed. What did you do for a foundation

hattie
# Posted: 21 Nov 2011 12:09

Hick: Your place looks beautiful. I love the wood stove and the guest loft. Nice work!!!

Timberjack: Nice shed. I'm sure you'll really appreciate having it! It looks really functional!!!!

Montanan
# Posted: 21 Nov 2011 14:39

Hick~ great photos! Your guest loft is so cozy. I love that door!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Nov 2011 06:11

bushbunkie---nice job!!!!...looking forward tot he trappers cabim build!!!

hick--your camp looks great!!!!!

timberjack---you got one of my favorite builds on this forum....love the new shed---sink and cutting table is nice as well.

Hick
# Posted: 22 Nov 2011 11:13

Thank you all for the kind words. I think my sister enjoyed her time at the cabin. I don't know if it is just a stage in my life, but I'm very uncomfortable in cities and large groups of people. The cabin life style is so relaxing. Would love live up there year round, but 27 mile to the closest town and 7 mile to the main road have me thinking other wise.

Timberjack- I love the siding on the shed. Do you have wood peckers in your area?

Timberjack
# Posted: 22 Nov 2011 21:18

dk1393: the foundation of my shed is what we call "washout". It comes from the local ready mix concrete plant. After they deliver a load of concrete the truck returns to the plant, runs some water in the drum of the truck, agitates, then discharges the mixture into a pit. After the water drains off you are left with a mix of cement, gravel, sand and small pieces of hardened cement and concrete. I can buy a trailer truck load of the stuff pretty cheap and have it delivered. It sets up like concrete at a fraction of the price.

Hick: we do have some woodpeckers in the area, mostly small ones but occasionally I spy one of the big Pileated woodpeckers. They are very shy and wary and dont sit still for too long.

dk1393
# Posted: 23 Nov 2011 06:48

Thanks for the info

nicalisa
# Posted: 24 Nov 2011 22:25

hmmm, didn't get as much done as we wanted to, but the list included:

building the 4x4 cedar building for the composting toilet, installing the toilet, and staining the outside cranberry, navy and cedar.

Building and installing the 8x3 cedar shed at the back of the cabin, organizing it and staining it navy and sage and cedar.

making a stairway of cedar rounds down to the fire pit.

making a huge firepit from rock hauled down the mountain

getting our solar array installed.....and hopefully getting the wiring correct this winter and a light on!

painting under the loft

Install of indoor plumbing, sink and drainage

paneling etc. of the ceiling

Install of the propane hot water system

brush cutting of about a quarter of an acre

hanging of the 4 very important hammocks and 4 very important child painted birdhouses

hanging of the screen door

We paid for the following services:
Final stage of complete excavation of the property
addition of about 5 dump trucks full of drainage rock

What we brought the supplies in for but didn't complete:
tongue and grove pine paneling for the walls
trim for the windows baseboard etc.
slate for floor and behind woodstove
tile for the backsplash on the kitchen wall
tile for the outside shower

plans for next year......to finish the inside, do all of the tile work
haul in decking for the second and third deck to complete
hang new solar lights outside
get our solar working inside
plant grass on the entire property

quad, fish, and hammock away the long days and nights......

brokeneck
# Posted: 18 Dec 2011 23:04

built lofts --winter windows/shutters -- finished interior walls -- built masonry chimney cap -- refinished garage sale chairs -- clear coated exterior -- cleared 1/2 acre of scrub -- chipped and spread same on footpaths -- had some great hikes -- played with the dogs -- did lots of shooting --not enough fishing -- you can never get in enough fishing -- lot's of memories-- still to come -- I'd still like to hopefully get my hearth rocked before New Yearsy -- yep it was a very good year --

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.