Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Free Land in Canada!!??
OffthaGrid44
# Posted: 8 Jan 2009 01:16

ok so i have been reading up on claiming land in some places in Canada and to my knowledge its a "Mining Claim" and it cost 14 dollars and u can claim up to 256 hectares of land.. am i miss reading this or is it something true and if it is does anyone know any info on this i am young at 20 years old but i love the outdoors and im planing on buying land soon. anyone got any advice?? Thanks alot
JOE

OffthaGrid44
# Posted: 8 Jan 2009 11:42

http://www.em.gov.bc.ca/subwebs/mtonline/about/Section_2_3.asp

islandguy
# Posted: 8 Jan 2009 13:11

A mineral claim allows access and some use of the property, but not ownership. You may need to prove you are actively working the claim.

OffthaGrid44
# Posted: 8 Jan 2009 13:46

ohh i c thanks for explaing i was rather confused by the whole thing it makes sense now.. thanks alot

Nocurous
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 02:43

That link is no longer working but im interested in finding out some info reguarding the posibility of this general discussion and am rather currious to find out how OffthaGrid44 actually faired out on his search

hattie
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 23:19

To have a placer claim in B.C. Canada, you must have a freeminer's certificate ($25/year). All staking is done online now and the cost to stake is $42. You must prove that you have actually worked the claim throughout the year ($210 worth of work) and the cost to renew is $42 per year. The rules will be changing soon though. If you don't work your claim, you must pay $42 + $210 to keep the claim. The claim can only be held for mining purposes and doesn't include surface rights. You do not own the land. You can put up a temporary structure to house your gear (ie trailer) if it is on Crown land. Inspectors do inspect claims for signs of work done and if they don't think you are working the claim, you will get a letter telling you so and they want proof you are working the claim. You must submit a work report every year for the work done on your claim(s). For more information go to: https://www.mtonline.gov.bc.ca/mtov/home.do

Anonymous
# Posted: 10 Nov 2012 02:57

what if i am homeless with a lot of dependants can We squat on crown land.oh and im metis too.

ericfromcowtown
# Posted: 10 Nov 2012 17:36 - Edited by: ericfromcowtown

I believe that it doesn't take a lot of work to meet the minimum yearly requirements.

That's correct about not being able to make permanent buildings. You can camp on it, but you can't live on it.

My great-grandparents cleared land by hand here in Alberta and lived in a sod house their first winter in order to earn their free land, but those days are long over.

Anonymous - Being Metis might open up other options as well. I've seen advertisements on Kijiji, for example, selling land for cheap on Metis settlements here in Alberta, but with the stipulation that you had to be Metis to legally purchase the land.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.