Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Danby propane fridge?
customrunner
# Posted: 11 Nov 2011 12:09

Hi all, just looking into a propane fridge for the new cabin and came across the Danby 7.8cu ft model DPR2262W and wonderind if anyone has any expiriance with this model or Danby propane fridges.
Thanks Chad

Mtnviewer
# Posted: 11 Nov 2011 14:36

I don't have experience with a Danby, but I have with a Consul, about the same size. It works fine. It uses about 1 lb. per day. Small capacity for a lot of people. Mine was VERY expensive, +$1,000. I would not do it again but if you are off grid & do not want to run a generator, then it is one of your only options besides using ice or a root cellar.

If you are planning on using a generator at all, then you may want to research using a horizontal electric freezer, as while they are not quite as convenient to access from the top, they are FAR more energy efficient as cold air doesn't get lost with each door opening, they are also less expensive to initially purchase, better insulated & should be cheaper to run than propane. For convenience, you can modify the thermostat via a kit found online for $100 or so, or as I may do, test out the required on off cycle time for a certain refrigeration only temperature & then just run the generator for that time. One fellow found that running it twice a day for 30 mins to 1 hour provided his refrigeration needs.

I'm weaning myself from propane use for my off grid living. The fridge of 4 devices; space heater, instant on water heater, stove, refridgerator/freezer, is the last for me to get rid of.

Do a search of the forum & there are a number of threads on the topic of propane refrigerators.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.