Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / camping cabin up to code?
KevTheBugGuy
# Posted: 26 Nov 2011 18:08

Can anyone think of anything in the basic shell of this style camping cabin that is not up to code at this stage of the build before it has been insulated and roughed in? below are the specs

http://www.shawneestructures.com/camping-specs.html

KevTheBugGuy
# Posted: 26 Nov 2011 18:59

I'm sorry, when I say up to code I mean as a permanent dwelling that would be set on a block foundation.

Anonymous
# Posted: 26 Nov 2011 20:03

I know there are many members here qualified to answer this, but from my experience having built a couple buildings over the years I would say almost none of it would pass for a "dwelling". Although I do like the shawnee structures and priced very reasonably, they are not built for a permanent dwelling, like most the structures in that price range from these type companies.

The wall construction, the floor construction, the roof construction would not pass code for a dwelling from my experiences.

Kev

Rob_O
# Posted: 26 Nov 2011 21:32

The floor would have to be re-engineered for a perimeter foundation. Roof trusses might not pass either.

Looks like they sell cabins that are certified, ask them what it would take to get a fully legal version.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Nov 2011 22:53

Insulation must meet specs. How cold of an area will it be located? My cabin, you can not get the right R value on a 2X4 wall. You have to have 2X6 to get the R value (R21). Foundation and roof, same deal, insulation. Insulation in the roof need to be around R35. But you can put in a ceiling and insulate above that. I think the floor will need around an R19.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 27 Nov 2011 08:39

IMHO, I don't think I would purchase their basic cabin shell and try to bring it up to code. I just think there are too many issues, both known and unknown, that would have to be remediated. If I was going to purchase a shell for a full-time residence I would either purchase it "certified" as Toyota suggested, or purchase a shell and use it just for camping (which is what I did). Some places in PA recognize the Recreational Use Affadavit, a quick form that permits you to build a cabin without following the codes (great for these cabin shells). But that permit does not allow the property to be used as a full-time residence.

KevTheBugGuy
# Posted: 27 Nov 2011 11:52

Wow, you folks are great, thank you all for that great info. As you may have guessed I know nothing about building codes. I live in South Carolina(hot in the summer) and just want a piece of land with a small cabin style home on it. I am trying to figure out how to do it both affordabley and legally, I want to live in mine full time without worries.

The small cabin size is all I need and was hoping it would fly. I will check out the cost of a certified version, thanks for spotting that, I missed it completely. I recently read something about small shotgun style homes that I want to look into as well.

I am hoping to avoid the 40k to 60k price tag of many of the so called tiny homes and still maintain an up to code legal status.

Anonymous
# Posted: 27 Nov 2011 19:19

Also watch out for the minimum square footage rule for a permanent dwelling, most likely around 750 square feet in most areas. And septic required etc..etc..

KevTheBugGuy
# Posted: 27 Nov 2011 22:43

750 square feet...how can they make something like that mandatory? I'm so disgusted with our overlords lately. They make certain that you're gonna pay don't they? I'm gonna talk to someone out here and see what it is, but yeah you're probably correct. I wanted to hook up to city sewage if possible. If not then a septic system to please our rulers. Really frustrating though having to play ball with a system that stays three steps ahead of you to ensure that they can rape you.

caveman
# Posted: 28 Nov 2011 15:13

KevTheBugGuy
what county in SC?

KevTheBugGuy
# Posted: 28 Nov 2011 18:32

richland or fairfield both have some nice rural areas. I'm in fairfield right now in a nice rural area

Rob_O
# Posted: 28 Nov 2011 19:00

Quoting: KevTheBugGuy
The small cabin size is all I need and was hoping it would fly. I will check out the cost of a certified version, thanks for spotting that, I missed it completely.

Here's the link for the certified cabins. http://www.shawneestructures.com/log-certified.html

KevTheBugGuy
# Posted: 28 Nov 2011 21:05

Thanks Rob, I was having difficulty finding the certified page.

KevTheBugGuy
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 14:45

Wow, I just got off the phone with a Shawnee rep. Rudest conversation I've had in a while. It was actually kind of funny. I didn't get any of my questions answered. In the guy's defense he was turned off once I said I was in SC, so I'm guessing I am out of his service area and therefore I'm not even a potential customer, so he can talk to me however he pleases. Oh well, moving on, I am going to try a local log home builder and see if I have better luck.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 15:40 - Edited by: PA_Bound

They can seem a bit difficult to work with. I've never called them, but I have traded e-mails. They usually respond quickly, but the answers sometimes seem terse and somewhat sparse on detail. I think that's just their way- nothing personal. Not quite what you would expect from a Sales person however. They are better to deal with in person but, being in SC, that's a bit of a problem for you.

I can't think what they do however is unique. Are there no shed builders like them in your area? Most of these businesses seem to be Mennonite or Amish operated in this area, but I would think others would have replicated the idea.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 18:25

Hi Kev,
I only had a 10' x 14' (..and 14'high) Bunkie built, but I approached it this way, and believe it or not it worked...because I have very limited time and $$...busy with work and family.
In the fall/winter, some smaller cabin / shed builders seem to slow down a bit in Ontario...so I emailed a few of them outlining exactly what I wanted, how I wanted it built and exactly how much $$ I had to spend. Basically, i said my intention was not to offend anybody, but if you (the builder) had the resources and interest to do it and could still make a profit...give me a call.
Funny enough...a week later a guy called and said he could do it. He buys his wood in bulk from a friend's saw mill (1/2 of what it would cost me at Home Depot, etc) and his Dad was providing the extra labour for free because he liked working together with his son...I'm sure Dad got some kind of pay off :)
Anyway, just throwing it out there...you never know...you might find some motivated folks out there!

KevTheBugGuy
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 19:33

Yeah I am looking into another builder here locally. They build log homes not the camping cabins with the loft but I will see what they are open to.

Good idea bushbunkie, I may try that.

My wife and I have been discussing some options, we kicked around the idea of using our pest business as a way to set up a camper. We were thinking of getting some land, throwing up a garage and getting it hooked up to a meter and calling it a shop, then hook a camper into the power off the garage and living out of it.

There is also an RV park out here but I dunno know if I wanna live that close to other people like that. It never seems to have any issues with cops or crime but still...

KevTheBugGuy
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 11:39

Called some places about cabins and small structures and they seem to be charging $130 per square ft out here. Kinda pricey. A 300 sq ft cabin would be around 40k without being rough in with electric and plumbing.

Called a local rv park. rent is $409 monthly but it includes water, electric and cable. Not terrible but there is a waiting list to get in, go figure.

caveman
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 13:39

KevTheBugGuy
if you don't mind doing it yourself, you can build a 16 X16 with loft on a slab, driveway and septic included, for about 15 thousand. I am putting the finishing touches on mine now. I have kept all my receipts and will get a final amount when totally finished, but it looks like 15 will be real close. good luck with your project

KevTheBugGuy
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 17:32

Wow, thank you. that is much better, and with septic included, that's pretty good.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.