Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / New guy here
Swamphunter
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 19:00

I just wanted to say hi. I am a 43 year old 22 year veteran police sergeant, husband and father of two. Been with me wife for 17 years and have owned a 67 acre woodlot for about 10 years. I am preparing to start building a 20x24 hunting cabin in the spring for my family to enjoy. I'm looking forward to surfing through the forum here and getting some great ideas. I am moderately experienced in building decks, porches and outbuildings and am looking forward to the challenge. Thanks everyone!!!

hattie
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 19:03

Welcome to the forum, Swamphunter!!!!

customrunner
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 20:01

Welcome you've come to the right place for info keep us posted...

PA_Bound
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 20:35

Welcome to the forum... where do you hail from?

Borrego
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 21:15

Yep, Welcome, there's a lot of info to be given and taken on this forum! I check it daily............

naturelover66
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 22:10

Welcome !!....cant wait to see your progress. Great group here.

brokeneck
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 00:15

Welcome -- happy building ..

neb
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 09:15

Glad to have you here. Keep us posted on the cabin.

bobrok
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 10:45

and yet another upstate New Yorker joins the forum! Representing the mighty St Lawrence region! We NY'ers are plentiful here!
Welcome Swamphunter! :)

Bevis
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 10:47

Welcome and post plenty of pics

Swamphunter
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 11:57

Upstate is Albany/ Syracuse... Im NORTHERN NY/ looking at Canada... just saying' :-)

Thanks everyone!!! Not starting til spring, but I am researcher... will spend several months getting everything in order before the first nail s pounded. Cant wait!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 12:02

welcome to the forum! It is good to plan all you can before you start I believe...surely helped us out that is for sure! Congratulations on starting the process!

Swamphunter
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 16:38

Im doing my wish list shopping all winter.. picking up the things I can accumulate in the garage before the build. Like windows and doors that are on sale, Tyvek, critter mesh, nails, screws, etc....
just to lighten the burden of purchasing in the spring. I'll look for returns and sales... remolding jobs, and check my local swap sheet for deals...

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 17:33

Yep,we did the same thing. Everything we bought was a good buy or find. Our whole cabin use to sit in our garage, in fact some of it is still in there!

fthurber
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 21:40

Find a sawmill close to the new cabin and get on good terms with them. Do everything with real wood if you can. You do not need plywood or OSB unless you are in a rush.

rayyy
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 06:21

Welcome swamp hunter.I am having a ball building my cabin.It's fun researching stuff and looking for great finds.I too have been stock piling stuff for my cabin.Got just about everything I will ever need.Although it's slower going than I antisipated,I am making great progress.

Swamphunter
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 06:46

Thats great to hear rayyy... Its nice to know that Im not the only one that is slowly preparing.

todd heyn
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 07:53

We also have 20 acres in St. Lawrence County. Ours is about 30 miles south of Canton.

We have recently built a 12x16 cabin in our "hidden meadow". You can check out our progress from start to finish by reading our entries on the blog here -

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/2_1054_0.html

You can also check out our phots from the beginning to where we currently are here -

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v483/toddheyn/Adirondack%20Land/

Finally, I have a GREAT source for metal roofing and materials from an Amish run place just outside of Dekalb Junction if you are interested.

Welcome to the forum and let us know if you need anything.

Swamphunter
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 12:33

Hey Todd... although we live in Massena, our land is in the town of Lawrence... nice to meet you.. thanks for the links.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.