Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / new to forum-from illinois
keebler1
# Posted: 24 Feb 2009 18:11

Hello everyone, I am randy from illinois. I am married and have 3 children that are 9,6,4. When i was a kid I would spend weeks on summer vacation at my grandparents cabin on the ohio river. My wife and I have recently leased a lot in the same area. I am planning to build a small cabin and a off grid power supply. I have found this forum very informative and hope to learn and give knowledge if i can. Here are some pics of the site.
site 3
site 3
site 2
site 2

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 25 Feb 2009 10:22

Welcome to the Small Cabin Forum, keebler1.

I don't know about others, but looking at that empty waterfront lot on your pictures (like on blank sheet of paper)... my hands want to get a hammer or saw and start building a cabin... :-)

Just curious about the lease - never thought of leasing recreational property... What is the (typical) lease period? What after that? - I.e. you would have built on/invested in it after all.

Keep us posted on your progress.

keebler1
# Posted: 28 Feb 2009 00:57

The lease is year at a time, or up to 5 years. We plan on building small and nothing to "permanent" for the first year to make sure we like it and are able to spend enough time there to justify a longer lease period and a more elaborate cabin. If we dont like it (not likely since thats all we have been thinking about) we have the option of selling the cabin or taking it down and bringing it home. Hoping to get down there soon and getting started, i will post more pics as we go along.

Jerry
# Posted: 3 Mar 2009 19:12

Keebler1 - I'm curious - what are the setback rules for building near water in your area? I see three ground levels in your pictures. Do you intend, or would it be allowed to build at the middle level? Three of us friends once built a cabin on a major river which had a similar landscape. I was surprised at how high the water would come up during spring ice out, almost reaching the middle level, but a lot of that was related to ice jams forming and releasing on the river. It was amazing to watch. We built on the highest plateau because it was our only option. The setback rule at that time was 200' from the high water mark, but we got a variance to build at 130'. We also were on a lease, but that's a whole story in and of itself. Good luck with your progress.

keebler1
# Posted: 4 Mar 2009 00:33

Jerry, On the top 2 levels was a old run-down cabin that got torn down a couple years ago. It was a bi-level cabin that(by the looks of some the old concrete) looks like close to the same dimensions as we want.Im not for sure on the rules but where the old cabin sat is really the only place for a building of any size at all. According to some of the people we have talked to and my vague memories when i was down there, the water does get high but not that high. That was one of the things we made sure of when we was looking for a place.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.