Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Using trees off property for flooring?
Swamphunter
# Posted: 18 Dec 2011 01:18

On my 67 acres I have noticed it is abundant with both Ash and Beech trees. I am thinking that I want to use the natural resources for the flooring in the cabin. I am leaning towards Ash, and was wondering, for transportation to sawmill purposes, what is the shortest length the logs should be since I'll be handling them myself AND, should i cut them beforehand and let them dry in log form, or cut them and deliver them green?

Thanks

Martian
# Posted: 18 Dec 2011 07:57 - Edited by: Martian

Swamphunter, from my experience, letting the logs season for a year, or more, cuts down on checking/cracking of the planks. The longer the log, the less handling it'll take to saw them up; so the less it'll cost you. I cut my logs to the longest length I can handle, but nothing under about 4' since that is the support spacing on the sawmill that my guy uses. You might want to check with your sawmill operator to see what his minimum/maximum length is.

Tom

fpw
# Posted: 18 Dec 2011 16:38

Let the logs dry or use a mill that has a kiln. Or you can cut the flooring and let it dry before squaring it up. I cut a bunch of flooring and stacked it to dry last spring. I left the live edge on the lumber. Then next spring or summer I will square it up with the mill, cut some slots with the table saw and put it down.

Log length does not normally matter when sawing, most sawyers charger by the board foot. If I didn't have a mill, I would probably cut and stack that logs at about 12' and bring in a sawyer with a portable mill. 12' is pretty easy to handle with a log arch, ATV, and cant hook for getting them out of the woods. When you start going bigger, then it becomes a pain. Portable saywers can generally cut 16', some can go to 20'.
Red Oak Flooring - Stacked for Drying
Red Oak Flooring - Stacked for Drying

Just
# Posted: 18 Dec 2011 20:23

White ash floor , cut from our own bush , the saw mill came to us because we garenteed him 8 hours work at 60$ per hour
always saw green wood if you can ..pile and strip every 12 in. for one year then plain and sq the lumber. I used all 4ft boards in 12s 10s 8s and 6s for this floor.. most of the logs were 4s or 8s ..
martian is right must be at least 4ft better if they are 56 in.
ash floor
ash floor

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.