Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Hello from a new member
avan
# Posted: 10 Mar 2009 18:22

I, i'm new here, my english are not very good but the information here are great. We found a 14 acres piece of land in quebec, and look to make a simple life there, small cabin can be a great way. The regulation here are very tough, no house... no other construction even a gazebo or a small shed, for now we make camping. this is a picture of the site we gonna hopefully construct something later, for bad, the small stream are situated in a non constructible area of our land, but it's nice to get there.

avan
# Posted: 12 Mar 2009 12:55

So there are the picture
possible construction site
possible construction site
stream
stream

cabinbasics
# Posted: 12 Mar 2009 13:18

Hello Avan! Welcome to the board. I'm a newbee too.

Nice looking site you've got there - great fall colors. 14 acres is a nice chunk. How's the timber value on the land? Thx, Al.

avan
# Posted: 12 Mar 2009 14:18

I don't know the timber value of the land, a few years ago some timber work was done, it seem that they took of all the soft wood (spruce, etc...) The regrow are mainly cherry tree, maple tree, etc... In some part of the land (old field) there are a plantation of pine tree: grey and red one that are intented for electricity wood pole. This pine are at maturity some are close to 80ft high x 12-16 inch diam. This plantation represent around 4 acres

Jerry
# Posted: 12 Mar 2009 15:09

Welcome Avan. I'm also new here, but have already received some interesting and valuable information. Beautiful building site you have there.

avan
# Posted: 2 Apr 2009 18:44

Finaly find something in the regulation that the city inspector doesn't tell you. I can build a small shack (hunting camp) with a maximum of 216 sqr feet including balcony and a side of 12ft at least. No fondation and no water allowed, and have to respect the construction regulation, like an overhead of 7'6", real stair, etc... but that's fine. The good new also, the only place we can built it are on the stream side of the land, so I have to think about a small bridge to get to the other side. So I start to draw something in the 12' X16' size. If you have any idea of interior management, it's welcome.

cabinbasics
# Posted: 2 Apr 2009 18:52

Avan, that's AWESOME news! You've got your water front after all! Have fun planning out the project!!!

jbseay
# Posted: 3 Apr 2009 15:11

Nice looking land and I love streams. Will you need a footbridge or a vehicle bridge?

avan
# Posted: 6 Apr 2009 09:30 - Edited by: avan

Foot bridge, the land on this side of the road are very step, with slope on 2 sides, and with some natural plateform, where we can built, so it could be difficult to make a road there (left side of the stream picture). Material have to be bring to site by hand.
You are right cabinbasics it's awesome. we have to take account of the regulation about the water line protection of 50ft, but the water stream sound are loud enought to be earing from the camp.

avan
# Posted: 3 Jun 2009 13:28

We finaly built our passenger bridge, it's 32 ft long by 3 ft large. One step to the territory conquest.

avan
# Posted: 3 Jun 2009 13:31

sorry, there are the picture

cabinbasics
# Posted: 3 Jun 2009 14:01

Very cool Avan! Looks like you incorporated natural logs into your design? There's something neat about a boardwalk path in the woods.

avan
# Posted: 3 Jun 2009 14:12

Yes! we made it the most easy way. There was two spruce of good size on top of the hill, so we put them down over the stream. we place them in place with a special metal rope ratchet. We use treated 2x6 for the decking board. Total cost are around $300.00CDN. IOt look like the one we see in national Park, so very well integrated with the environment. We have to put them very high because of the spring flood, we need at least around 4 feet high from the stream bed, to meet the regulation.

avan
# Posted: 3 Jun 2009 14:14

I have some difficulty with the picture, I delete it accidentaly so it's here again, sorry!
IMG_7731pontfini2..jpg
IMG_7731pontfini2..jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.