Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / cooking with CAST IRON!!!
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
turkeyhunter
# Posted: 1 Jan 2012 22:16 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

OK!!!! every camp/cabin needs a cast iron pot or skillet or 2.
who buys, collects or uses cast iron for cooking at their cabin???

they are also nice to use as decor for a cabin as well!!!!!

let see some pic's of your pots and pans/dutch ovens etc!!!!!

displays etc---thanks

BTW--i have been buying them at yard sales, junk stores, flea markets...for over 30 years....plus i inherited some of my Dad's cast iron pieces as well---food just tastes better in cast iron!!!!!

darz5150
# Posted: 1 Jan 2012 23:28

We actually have cast iron utensils. And really use them. We have several different size skillets and a flat top griddle/grill that works great on a stove top, BBQ pit, or even a campfire or fire pit. I still need to get another dutch oven.... nothin' better than making ham and beans or chili over an open fire! There is no better cookware than cast iron.
wagon wheel utensils
wagon wheel utensils

simon
# Posted: 2 Jan 2012 05:04

And it'll last for ever if taken care of.. I'm the family cook. I love my made in USA cast iron.. My favorite one is older than me, but looks like we just bought it. Fried taters just taste better, almost everything tastes better in them..

dfosson
# Posted: 2 Jan 2012 05:06

Agree. The only way to cook.
corn bread in cast iron
corn bread in cast iron
soup beans in a cast iron chicken fryer
soup beans in a cast iron chicken fryer
Wolfgang Puck 4 qt cast iron dutch oven
Wolfgang Puck 4 qt cast iron dutch oven

brokeneck
# Posted: 2 Jan 2012 13:41

When my boys were in the scouts we did alot of dutch oven cooking -- I have a Lodge cast iron frying pan and small pot (for Beans) -- ok on the fire outside but got a little too hot on the cast iron stove top. Just bought a Lodge --meat rack to use as a trivet works great!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 2 Jan 2012 15:48 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

got out some of my "cast iron stash" at my old camp TODAY----i took a few outside today and made pic's...........all old and dusty
waffle iron
waffle iron
cast iron
cast iron
more cast tion
more cast tion
a few at the new camp
a few at the new camp

SE Ohio
# Posted: 2 Jan 2012 17:33

A few cast iron wall decorations...
New_Nikon_and_Cabin_.jpg
New_Nikon_and_Cabin_.jpg

wakeslayer
# Posted: 2 Jan 2012 18:17

We cook with our Lodge gear all the time. At home too. Nothing better than cast iron.
Lodge_tripod.jpg
Lodge_tripod.jpg

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 2 Jan 2012 21:00

Quoting: dfosson
Agree. The only way to cook

fine pic's and cast iron---

Quoting: SE Ohio
A few cast iron wall decorations

i like the wall decor!!!!!

Quoting: wakeslayer
We cook with our Lodge gear all the time. At home too. Nothing better than cast iron.

so true---:-)
i stop in the LODGE factory outlet from time to time --in S. Pittsgurg TN----some good deals there. I built a tripod like your's to hold my dutch ovens as well.

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 23:40

i am gonna go take a photo after i gather all my cast iron together and post here.maybe tomorrow.

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 23:40

Quoting: SE Ohio
A few cast iron wall decorations...

love this.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 4 Jan 2012 12:00 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: cabingal3
i am gonna go take a photo after i gather all my cast iron together and post here.maybe tomorrow.

would like to see your collection.........

yesterday it was cold here in the south....22 deg good day for homemade chicken and veggie soup---and i made some cornbread too.....
before it went in the oven
before it went in the oven

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Jan 2012 12:13

Wow TH...22 is cold for the south! That is a lot of cornbread! Bet it was tasty too :)

AU2009
# Posted: 4 Jan 2012 22:35

I have my grand mothers cast iron skillets, and frying skillets. I also have a wagner that belonged to her and also a griswold skillet that belonged to my other grandmother. I also have my great grandfathers massive (its gotta be at least 20" in diameter) chitlin frying skillet. It doesn't get much better than frying up some bacon then frying an egg in the grease!

Lodge is pretty good stuff. One of my closest friends grew up with a guy in the Lodge family. I have hung out with him several times here in nashville, nice guy. I think it was his great great grandfather that started the business.

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Jan 2012 22:42

Quoting: AU2009
I have my grand mothers cast iron skillets, and frying skillets. I also have a wagner that belonged to her and also a griswold skillet that belonged to my other grandmother. I also have my great grandfathers massive (its gotta be at least 20" in diameter) chitlin frying skillet.

Wonderful history there...makes it even more special huh?

AU2009
# Posted: 4 Jan 2012 23:01

it definitely does. I remember my grandmother using her skillets to bake her cakes every week. My grandfather bought and sold most all the hogs for Tennessee Pride Sausage Co here in nashville so sausage was a daily thing, every morning, with homemade biscuits, she cooked most exclusively in cast iron.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Jan 2012 08:33

Quoting: AU2009
it definitely does. I remember my grandmother using her skillets to bake her cakes every week. My grandfather bought and sold most all the hogs for Tennessee Pride Sausage Co here in nashville so sausage was a daily thing, every morning, with homemade biscuits, she cooked most exclusively in cast iron.

great history and fine thoughts of growing up eating TN Pride sausage as well . I have lots of my Dads cast iron he used at fishing and hunting camps, my Mother still has a few pieces at the homeplace---Dads been dead over 30 years ===and that old cast iron is still cooking---and i am sure my kids and grandkids will use it as well---I hope!!!! I remenber one time i stopped at a yard sale on the way to Billing MT airport, bought a small griswold skillet for a dollar, got to the airport and they looked at my luggage real funny when it went through the xray....:-)

ErinsMom
# Posted: 5 Jan 2012 20:05

AU2009,
Been up since 5 am, haven't had supper and the thought of some TN Pride, gravy and biscuits have this TN girl's mouth watering. I love breakfast for supper. Of course, soup beans and cornbread in my tiny skillet wouldn't be bad either.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Jan 2012 20:12

Quoting: ErinsMom
TN Pride, gravy and biscuits

now that's a fine meal!!!!!

Quoting: ErinsMom
I love breakfast for supper.

i cook that a least once a week for supper....some kind fine!!!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 12:48 - Edited by: cabingal3

sorry it took a while.the mister had to take the camera to work a couple of days.hee hee.so here it is.i have more at the cabin.a big pancake griddle...and some sauce pans.
some at the cabin
some at the cabin
more at home
more at home

cabingal3
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 13:04

Quoting: turkeyhunter
22 deg good day for homemade chicken and veggie soup---and i made some cornbread too.....

now theres a meal.looks wonderful.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 16:02

have more at the cabin.a big pancake griddle...and some sauce pans.

nice collection of iron ya have there!!!!!

i do enjoy cooking with my cast iron!!!!===heck i enjoy cooking!!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 22:52

i have a tip to share.i found that one dutch oven for like 25 cents at a yard sale.no lid.i thought this was ok cause i would search for a lost lid somewhere and get it for my lidless pot.well many years later-i have yet to come across a cast iron lid anywhere.heehee.sooo.thats my tip.dont buy a pot like i did thinking u will get lucky and find one.
i get lots of mine at yard sales...for two bucks.i love to look for them and find them.
i like them cause they provide iron to our diet.they are sturdy.they look cabiny.and old fashioned and they are.

cabingal3
# Posted: 20 Jan 2012 17:39 - Edited by: cabingal3

some questions for any who may have some knowledge to share.
ok...i know lodge is a good american name brand cast iron company.
is there cast iron any different than say some cast iron from china?? of course i would want to purchase american items but...i got this pan for 2.47$ today.so what is this pan for?? is it an egg poacher,a gem pan.whats a gem.
ok.thank u.
cast iron
cast iron

manny
# Posted: 20 Jan 2012 18:34

It looks like a poacher to me. But im sure it would be good for muffins to.

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 12:37

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aebleskiver
i found out it is this from a girlfriend.so now i know.i would love to make these.

manny
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 16:21

I never heard of those, but Man do they look good!!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 21:37

æbleskiver pan never saw one--i really like it...

i got this pan for 2.47$ today.so

great find---where did you find it????

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 02:01

turkeyhunter,i got this at a second hand store for half price.i had to have it.have u ever used this kind of pan?i am anxious to use it.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 08:35

turkeyhunter,i got this at a second hand store for half price.i had to have it.have u ever used this kind of pan?i am anxious to use it.

no but i wil be looking for one to try out.....thanks for the pic
keep us updated when you cook in it.

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.