Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / How to you get to your cabin in the SNOW?
. 1 . 2 . >>
TomChum
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 01:00 - Edited by: TomChum

A thread for those whose cabins are not accessible by car (after the snow comes).

Today on the way out, I parked a $600 snowmobile + trailer at a friendly neighbor's house, about 4 miles away. I'm ready for the next visit, and assuming some more snow. This is an old, reliable sled, but it won't blaze a trail in deep snow. Below is a pic of my new "mountain sled" with the same trailer.

Snowmobile and garden trailer (on snowboards). I bought the snowboards at a used sporting goods store. I called and told them I'd pay $10ea for throwaway snowboards and they said yes, come on down. I made wooden boxes and bolted them to the snowboards. The wooden boxes have shims on the inside and the trailer wheels press tightly into the boxes. I have nylon straps over the wheels, but they are unnecessary, the friction holds them in fine. And I go slow with the trailer anyway.

After the snowmobiles pack the snow, then an ATV goes OK on the snow, but it can't pull the trailer up the hills as well as the snowmobile. Later on in the springtime after a lot of gravel patches appear on the road, then I use the ATV more.

bobrok
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 08:48 - Edited by: bobrok

Very original setup! Let me ask you, though, don't you feeling your track lifting off the snow while pulling that weight? Seems unbalanced and I am sure thats why you need to go slow. But hey, if it works it works, right?
We have used pretty much the same setup but I bought a plastic tow sled and a hitch kit for the back pf my sled. Before that used to rope tow but that was a disaster going downhill and wrecked my snow flap from too many rear enders.
That was a throw away sled, though, and I sold it recently and am looking for a replacement.
Which leads me to my next question. The sled I had was a Polaris xlt triple 597. Plenty of power to pull but the high compression motor was an absolute bear to start when cold, and because we never went fast I was fouling plugs all the time. I know it was the wrong sled for my needs but I had bought it right.
Tell me about your 'doo. Motor size, fan or liquid, reverse, etc. I am very interested to know how it performs with that load behind it because I think I am being too picky in choosing a replacement sled.
Thanks much!

Edit: I don't want to hijack your new thread with snowmobile tech-talk so if you prefer email me at offgridfanatgmaildotcom.
:)

wakeslayer
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 10:13

Originally, we snowshoed in. Our driveway is 2000-ish feet and we get a LOT of snow. We now defer to our friend Kent, affectionately known in the winter time as, The Pimp with the Imp. This is an early 70's 4 seat snow cat. There are even two heaters in this thing. If the Pimp is unavailable, he is kind enough to pack the driveway down prior to our arrival which makes stomping up the hill far easier. The first time we did it, it took us over an hour and about near killed my children. Especially my son, who had to make a second trip.
the snow is about rib deep
the snow is about rib deep
no, really
no, really
The mighty Imp
The mighty Imp
The Pimp with the Imp
The Pimp with the Imp

TomChum
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 11:46 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: bobrok
don't you feeling your track lifting off the snow while pulling that weight? Seems unbalanced and I am sure thats why you need to go slow. But hey, if it works it works, right?

It would not look so unbalanced if there was someone sitting on the sled. Then when you add a wife and 2 kids on the sled too, it looks unbalanced again (but the other way around) ;-))

The reason you go slow is because the first time you go fast it becomes quickly obvious that you can't. Maybe if it's on a smooth and straight road? I have not been in such a situation. In general there is a bag of groceries with a dozen eggs, and maybe a pie that ensure I'm not going to test it for speed.

This is a garden trailer, it's short, and tall. I've seen a narrow, long, low snowmobile trailers with steering in the front skis - that are probably stable at speed. I only have to go 3 miles, and being able to switch to the ATV, and remove skis off for gravel roads, It seems to work well for my situation.

Mike, I can understand your friend Kent not wanting to rely on a mountain sled. A mountain sled can go almost anywhere with speed and throttle but with a trailer you are severely limited in where you can go and in danger of getting stuck. If you get stuck; by yourself it can be a problem, you'd better be carrying snowshoes too.

I don't want to hijack your new thread with snowmobile tech-talk

Hi Bob, this is the exact reason the thread was created. I don't use my mountain sled for towing anymore. I use a little Arctic Cat Jag340, it's fan-cooled and perfectly happy to go slow. I got it for free, actually, but it's worth about ~ $600. And it starts easy with half a pull, while sitting.

bobrok
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 12:04

Quoting: TomChum
It seems to work well for my situation

If it ain't broke...as they say.
Not wanting to be a thread hog here but, OK, here goes, full trailer, 1-2-3-4 ppl on the sled????
I HAVE to know what you've got there. It looks like a long track but I cant tell much else. At the least I'd like to know what kind/size motor you have. Doesn't it load up on you? We just got our first snow here and CL has been ablaze with ppl selling sleds. I didn't want to buy an underpowered sled, but if you can indeed tow what you do with your 'doo please give me the specs so I know what I can look for at the minimum.
Off the cuff guess...if you got that sled for $600 you stole it, or was it blown/wrecked and you rebuilt perhaps? You don't see stuff that nice and that cheap around here.
Thanks!!!

TomChum
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 12:16 - Edited by: TomChum

Off the cuff guess...if you got that sled for $600 you stole it, or was it blown/wrecked and you rebuilt perhaps? You don't see stuff that nice and that cheap around here.

Well you are close, but I have 2 sleds. The mountain sled in the pic is a '07 skidoo summit 800, 151 horsepower, 159" track. It's worth about $4700 but I stole it for $3700. It has a difficult time going slow, and overheats unless it's in powder. It is not good for towing slow.

The Jag340, I found, abandoned over a bank near my property. I towed it to a safer, hidden location and contacted the owner (via sheriffs office). I talked to the owner on the phone, told him where it was. Nine months later is was still sitting there in the bushes, but now with animals chewing the seat. So I towed it 'home' to my cabin. I called the guy in September and left an offer to pay $600, and no reply. It's now been 12 months, and the guy has my tel#, so I just decided to use it.

full trailer, 1-2-3-4 ppl on the sled????

2 are kids - they have to ride in the trailer, balanced one at front, one at the back, and the sled is mashed down too, it's about the limit.

bobrok
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 12:47

Good deal on the Jag if no "owner" reply; be careful it's not stolen, tho.
I've been looking for liquid as opposed to fan cooled for specifically this reason; and also because the fan cooled sleds *really* overheat in warmer weather as well.
So, your liquid cooled 800 long track still overheats?. I guess this is due to the extreme load and not to any shortcomings on the machine itself.
Would you agree?

MtnDon
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 13:23

55 minute snow shoe trip over an abandoned logging road

TomChum
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 14:24 - Edited by: TomChum

be careful it's not stolen, tho.

That was my first assumption, a stolen sled dumped after a joyride. The Sheriff checked the VIN# for that. Then I talked to the owner on the phone. I did enough, I think, now I'm into the "no news is good news" stage. I'm going to register it this week under my name.

The mountain sled is liquid cooled, and has a heat exchanger just above the track. It requires a fog of snow coming off the track to cool, and gets hot if driven on packed snow (or ice). Also it's all track, you can't turn it slowly - you have to spin it around like a jet-boat. This is not possible towing with a dozen eggs and a pie in the cargo. It works......but has its limitations.

The little Arctic Cat Jag 340 (fan cooled, fins & no coolant) did get hot though. This 3 mile trip (4 people, 1000 ft all uphill, and towing) is towards the little sled's limit. I may have to reduce the number of people on the sled.....

TomChum
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 14:41 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: MtnDon
55 minute snow shoe trip over an abandoned logging road

Same here. It takes me 50 minutes to walk out. In my case my driveway is 1 mile, then 2 miles of heavily used, packed snowmobile road, so it's easy walking (down). 1000 vertical feet though......

MtnDon
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 15:24

With the ups and downs our total rise going in is about 800 feet. With mostly drops going out we do that in 45 minutes.

We originally tried a used snowmobile, but quickly found that traveling over virgin snow was not that particular machines forte. It did fine on a groomed/traveled trail. However, by road there are usually 2 miles that nobody else travels. Combine the powerdy snow (our normal) with the grades in a couple spots and tight turns that require slow speed and we got stuck a lot. We don't have a lot of used machines to choose from in NM; only have 2 new sled dealers. The one dealer showed us a machine that would do the trick, but it was new and way out of the budget range. So we bought some MSR snow shoes and are very happy.

wakeslayer
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 15:39

MSR shoes ROCK!!

bobrok
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 15:43

and are very happy

...and no doubt healthier for the effort too, Don!
I'm not a motor-head nor a sled-head. In fact I hate the dumb things and decry ppl who tear all over the trails and frozen lake. Just a lot of stuff to bring in and we thought it would be a worthwhile investment.

I don't know how you cart in all the provisions you need by foot. That is indeed a lot of work when breaking trail.

On the other hand, when you've arrived you're there for the long haul. No running in and out, right ;)
Makes it worth the effort.

bobrok
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 15:49

Tom, thanks so much for the insight on your sledding experience. It has really been helpful to talk with someone else who uses their sled for the same "unconventional" purpose. Really appreciate it. Tnx.
bob

MtnDon
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 16:21

I don't know how you cart in all the provisions you need by foot.

Oh I'm glad you brought that up.

All the food is at the cabin. Lots of dry stuff; pasta, rice, oatmeal, potato flakes, dried fruit, chocolate..... Then there's the "frost proof dry well" food tube. There is a link someplace here but I can't locate it; maybe it was in a topic started by someone else? Anyhow it works. The temperatures had dipped down to just below zero the week before we last snow shoed up. The canned foods in the tube locker were cold but only cold. The infrared thermometer gave a reading in the mid 40's (F).

We only carry in whatever book we might want to read, maybe a DVD to watch, plus the usual winter pack gear: water, emergency food bar, phone, flashlight, first aid, matches, Titanium framed revolver, ... We usually add a few oranges, apples, bananas to our packs.

We left enough spare clothing, towels, etc. etc. in the cabin. I have a chain saw, fuel, oil chains, plus fuel for the generator and some diesl for starting piles of slash we wish to burn. Plenty of water in the in ground cistern. About 40 gallons of propane on site and lots of dried, seasoned and out of the weather cut and split firewood plus kindling and pine needles for fire starting. We have a couple of open head drums we use to hold whatever trash we don't burn. I have some good quality speakers in the cabin (old 5.1 computer bass/tweeter set) and plug them into an MP3 player for music. TV/DVD stays there.

Pretty well set I think. Just have to get our bodies up there.

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 16:28

we hike in.i get my platic bag and fill it with my coffee cup,and my can of coffee and my jammies and crochet cause i am not coming back to where our jeep is parked.i throw my plastic bag up head and dig to it...all the way digging us a path.this way when the mister has to go back to get more stuff,at least he has a path.we need to get a sled with a rope and pack it with our goods and hike in .this would make it easier.

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 16:29

MtnDon-us too.we have lots of food at the cabin,towels and wash cloths.lots of extra clothes and coats and all we need.i keep bringing in more and more like a slow move toward the day we finally live there for good.

bobrok
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 16:35

"frost proof dry well" food tube

I do remember this. Gonna try to find that thread. Good idea. Tnx.

neb
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 20:11

This was taken last year I believe and snow shoe in 1 mile. I do have access to a snow machine but find it very relaxing to shoe in. That walk in is good for the heart.

MtnDon
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 20:49

good for the soul as well...

neb
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 20:56

SO SO TRUE. Nothing like that walk on a great winter day. I just noticed in the picture I posted that there was a small shed laying by my pack and snow shoes. I was wondering why I took that picture. If I get on a packed trail I will take off the shoes and walk the hard pack.

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 23:38

so true and so clear is the air and the beauty is beyond compare!

MtnDon
# Posted: 4 Jan 2012 00:35

One thing we like about snow shoeing is the animal tracks we see so easily. Deer, elk, rabbits, coyotes, mice all leave their distinctive marks. Much easier to find than in summer. We've found remnants of kills on occasion.

Montanan
# Posted: 4 Jan 2012 01:07

We snowshoe in too- got the whole family outfitted for Christmas. Luckily, our hike in is not too long. It's only a few hundred yards, but quite steeply uphill. Our youngest child is only 5, so it's good it's not a long trek. Everyone carries their own backpack with gear, I carry a large duffel style backpack with any towels and linens we brought home to wash the previous trip and topped off with any other supplies we need that trip. My husband carries a large backpack and pulls a long plastic sled with the food bin and cooler in it.

When we were up last week, we also had construction supplies to haul in, plus a couple of large area rugs. I took multiple trips carrying 10' 2x4s. Definitely good exercise- and it keeps you warm in the cold weather!

Montanan
# Posted: 4 Jan 2012 01:09

One thing we like about snow shoeing is the animal tracks we see so easily. Deer, elk, rabbits, coyotes, mice all leave their distinctive marks. Much easier to find than in summer. We've found remnants of kills on occasion.

Agreed! It's fun to see tracks and I appreciate the utter silence of the snow covered forest. When we arrive after dark, the stars are amazing.

Vince P
# Posted: 4 Jan 2012 11:01 - Edited by: Vince P

Yup, I used to do all of the above. Snowshoe, X/C ski and trailer a snowmobile up to deep snow then use the trailer to tow my supplies with the snowmobile.
That 900cc Thundercat was just way too powerful, so I sold it. Nowadays I just walk the 1/2 mile through the snow and lug my supplies either on a toboggan or... a luggage box (creativity at work!).
sled
sled
luggage box
luggage box

aktundra
# Posted: 28 Apr 2012 21:38 - Edited by: aktundra

We snowmachine into our cabin in the winter. It takes 2 hours (or more). I have an old Tundra that's really slow so usually I take longer.

I like the old Tundras and Yamaha Bravos. Very reliable sleds, start at -40 and can haul a good load. My Tundra is single cylinder, 250cc machine but still can haul 40' spruce tree (with momentum and a packed trail). I routinely haul 500 lbs with it over 2 hours. What really helps is having a sled with little friction...

Up in Alaska we love the UHMW sleds to haul our supplies in. My tundra likes the UHMW sleds because it makes it a breeze to pull
http://www.northernsledworks.com/Siglin_Sleds.html

I also made a freight sled with UHMW runners that works really well.

In the summer we take a Jet boat up (also takes 2 hours or so). Our cabin is really "close" to get to... relative to other Alaskan remote cabins.

AKtundra

KinAlberta
# Posted: 23 Feb 2018 11:12 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Adding some tread to this old thread:

In the case of most trips to the cabin, looks like something need to haul in a small trailer - in order to be able to use them when you get near the cabin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwpKjEa4LYY

www.trackngo.com

http://trucktracks.com/en/

excerpt:

"Track N Go
the first ever wheel driven track system!

Who would have thought that one day we could install 4 tracks on a vehicle in 15 minutes, while keeping the tires on and without any modifications of this vehicle. Well, after several years of research and development we are proud to present you the Track N Go system: "The first ever wheel driven track system", an innovation that will make it much easier to use tracks on your vehicles.

Videos..."

hueyjazz
# Posted: 23 Feb 2018 11:45

I'm comfortable driving my truck in up to a foot of snow. After that I
X- country ski in pulling a toboggan of supplies.

Few years back my wife developed breast cancer. She had a couple of surgeries and the chemo. Bringing her to cabin was vital to her recovery. I had to haul her in the toboggan a few times. (She has made a full recovery and we believe she beat it)

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 23 Feb 2018 17:21

Quoting: KinAlberta
"Track N Go
the first ever wheel driven track system!

Ive never seen a system like that. I have seen bolt on tracks, not drive on tracks though!

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.