Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Restored tobacco barn
Ballscout
# Posted: 23 Mar 2009 21:32

We are new to this forum. We are interested is reclaiming the logs from a 100 year old tobacco barn on our family property & moving it to a new location on the same property but near the river, putting it on a foundation and converting it to a week end cabin. Does anyone have any experience in this area? The barn is in pretty good shape, has a tin roof that still keeps out the weather except one corner. The mud chinking is still in place. Some damage from insects. It is 18 X 18 using the outside measurements. We are hoping to start dismantling in the fall but need information about how to dismantle, clean and treat the logs. Any help out there?

Jerry
# Posted: 24 Mar 2009 10:12

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I've done what you are considering a couple of times. It's a lot of work and the two main considerations are the condition of the logs (is it worth it), and how tight of a cabin do you want to end up with. It's usually the bottom coarse of logs that rot first where they meet the ground. If it's elevated on some sort of foundation of concrete or stone, etc, you might be alright. If the lower logs are rotten then you either have to replace them or if the building is high enough, eliminate them and start with the first good coarse. This presents a whole different set of work challenges. Since it's a barn it probably doesn't have many or any windows. (Got pictures?) This might be an advantage because log houses were often eventually sided and water got trapped around window and door openings causing rot. The downside of barns is that they often weren't built as tightly as houses and they usually have big door openings that you have to fill or find a way to use.

If you decide to dismantle it, clean all the junk out of it and around it. Devise a plan for marking each log (something permanent but out of view when you reassemble), make drawings of each wall, etc of the building showing the numbering logs, and take several pictures of each part. If you numbering system can be attached to each log prior to dissasembling, do it and take pictures. (I used permanent marker on a hard plastic sheet screwed to each log for pictures, and marked each log on the saddle as they came down.) Then the ideal is to line up a bunch of young strong people, a number of trailers, and ladders, scaffolding , etc. You'll need some pry bars, heavy hammers and other tools. If you have an attic, start pounding the roof off from the inside. Be careful - wear dust masks and watch out for rotten wood (maybe shore the attic up first?) and hornets, etc. I've had experience with both and more. Take the logs off one by one and if you're marking them make sure you or someone you trust is in charge of that. Plan for stacking them off the ground supported so they won't change. Have someone pulling nails if that's an issue. Bring lots of work gloves. Determine in advance what you want to save if there are other materials like old flooring, etc.

I could add more, but you'll need to ask or post pictures. I'm curious about the logs - kind of wood, shape (round, hewn, etc), type of corner joint (cope, dovetail, etc). You might want to think about a better system of chinking if you want a warm, tight cabin. You can clean the logs after they are down with a deck cleaner, and there are many places to buy treatment and stain products. Look on the web.

I took down an old hewn log house about five years ago. Lots of work and it was more rotten than I expected. It's still piled behind my garage. I've since purchased another cabin on a lake that I am remodeling, so the old logs will be turned into paneling. They're all northern red ceder, and should be beautiful when finished. Let me know more about your project as it developes. Where are you located? I've helped two other locals do this type of project and both turned out very well. Remember, this is dirty and potentially dangerous work. You're dealing with old dirty, dusty materials, and there are always unknowns. But it's also potentially very rewarding and when it's finally done, you get a real sense of satisfaction and feel a connection to the past. Good luck to you.

Ballscout
# Posted: 24 Mar 2009 21:24

Thanks for the information. We are in NC. The cabin will be on property by the Haw River. We are hoping the small size will allow us to manage the project. I do have pictures and I will try to post them in the next few days. We think the logs are oak. They are half dovetail, squared logs, about 12 -14 inches and there are about 14 -16 logs high. It is pretty tall so if we loose a few at the bottom we may be ok w/ what we have.

Ballscout
# Posted: 25 Mar 2009 13:05 - Edited by: Ballscout

Here are some photos of the existing structure.
Tobacco Barn
Tobacco Barn
Winter_2008_2009_090.jpg
Winter_2008_2009_090.jpg
Winter_2008_2009_083.jpg
Winter_2008_2009_083.jpg
Winter_2008_2009_084.jpg
Winter_2008_2009_084.jpg

Jerry
# Posted: 25 Mar 2009 16:52

Man that looks like a great building. I would definately go forward with your project. Something to think about is your future foundation. If it will be something like a wood floor built on posts, or a continuous block footing around the perimeter, or a cement slab, you will have to decide which logs on your first coarse to cut in half lengthwise so that the corresponding next course will sit on the floor. And those oak logs are going to be heavy, even after 100 years. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Jerry

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 25 Mar 2009 17:22 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

That's a nice building.
Wondering if it could be worth repairing/remodeling it instead of demolishing and building the new cabin from its logs... It could be turned into a nice two-store cottage...

Either way, keep us posted with your progress.

Ballscout
# Posted: 25 Mar 2009 19:27

It's on family property but not on OUR piece of property, so we will have to move it. It is also not on a foundation & has a dirt floor so we'll have to take it down to put it on a foundation anyway. It will be a little while before we can get started but we are gathering info so any tips will be appreciated.

lawnjoky
# Posted: 29 Sep 2009 06:51

Call the Museum of the Appalachians near Knoxville TN. They have done exactly what you are doing many times and are the eperts. By the way, a great museum featuring many buildings moved to the site and traditioanal tools and crafts including saw mills, blacksmith shops etc.

Jocko

Ballscout
# Posted: 7 Oct 2009 19:50

Thanks for the information. We are hoping to start in the next few weeks, at least clearing around the barn. We've been told that we should be able to take down the barn in a day and once the logs are treated we should be able to erect the walls again in one day. We've made contact with someone in the area that has some experience with this and he is going to help us with contacts and where to rent equipment required to lift the logs. We will definitely look into the Museum of the Appalachians.

gene whittaker
# Posted: 21 Mar 2011 14:23

I have a 100 year old log tobacco barn on my family farm and just recently received permission to dismantle and move another log barn that is on some nearby property. I may use some of those logs to repair my barn-they appear to be about the the same vintage. Or I may re-build it into a log cabin somewhere on my property. I have no experience at doing this and thought that once the roof is taken off, I could use a fork lift to left the logs off and put on the trailer( after I number them of course ) Any thoughts on this from anyone,

Thanks,
Gene Whittaker

Just
# Posted: 21 Mar 2011 17:46

Looks like a great building ,make a great cabin ,,just one warning ,, many of those old barns were smoke barns and the inside walls are coated with tar may smell a lot when you get it closed in after you move it !! i would try taking a board from the inside home and keep it in your home for a bit to see what it smeles like inside were it is cleen and dry. can't hurt good luck!

sparky1
# Posted: 9 Jun 2014 10:31

sure would like to know how this turned out It's been almost 3 years
sparky1

Howieab
# Posted: 22 Aug 2014 15:21

I just recently acquired a 22 acre farm in NC with two tobacco barns that I intend to move. What do people normally do with the tier poles that the tobacco is hung on during the curing process?

Don_P
# Posted: 22 Aug 2014 22:40 - Edited by: Don_P

Railings and pickets... or use the poles as post and rail and the sticks as pickets? Do check with the building dept before deciding what to do, grading can be an issue.

BTW my mother's family comes from the banks of the Haw. They were there when a gentleman named Greene and a bunch of his friends were travelling north in something of a hurry. Shortly after a fellow with a funny accent named Cornwallis and a bunch of his friends came and tromped through the corn. They were in a poor mood, they looked like they had gotten themselves into a hornets nest down south. Wasn't long before they got word that Mr Cornwallis had caught up to Mr Greene around Guilford Courthouse and sort of wished he hadn't been in such a hurry. Apparently he was not his mamma's brightest child, he followed Mr Greene all the way to a little spot called Yorktowne. Word came back to the banks of the Haw that the fellow with the funny accent and bad manners decided to go home after that.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.