Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / more on hot water
islandguy
# Posted: 26 Mar 2009 17:22

After months of dithering back and fourth, I just happened to find a new propane tankless water heater at a flea market for $225. A unit that meets code was going to cost about $1000, so my non-approved unit saved me a bundle, but how well it works, or if it works at all, remains to be seen. It has spark ignition, and is ventless. It has an oxygen depletion shutoff, and is intended to be used indoors, but I'm very nervous about the safety, so I think I'll mount it outside, and just not use it during freezing weather.
I still may incorporate a homemade tank mounted outside the cabin as well, heated with a propane burner for larger amounts of hot water, such as a previously discussed hot bath. I put a diverter valve on the suction side of my pump, so by opening a valve and closing another, the pump would then pump directly from the hot water tank and fill the tub. The hot water would come out the cold water faucet, since there would be no need to run the pre-heated water through the hot line and the tankless unit. I originally planned the diverter to divert the suction to a jug of antifreeze making winterizing the water system a snap. I also try to keep the systems as simple as possible, since I have no wish to spend valuable vacation time running around filling this tank, opening that valve, and repairing something else.
Maybe a dip in the river is all I need, but that wife of mine wants that hot bubble bath. (and if she gets one, I get one.) (;-)

Vince P
# Posted: 27 Mar 2009 10:42

Is it this one?
http://www.excelamerica.com/calentadores_eng.htm
I bought this one new off ebay for 199 andf am in the process of installing it.

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 27 Mar 2009 15:51 - Edited by: soundandfurycabin

If you or your visitors have small kids, having hot water coming from the cold tap could be quite dangerous. If possible I'd try to pipe it into the hot line.

Be aware that running hot water through the pump will likely shorten its life. Pumps are normally installed on the cold supply to a water heater or the cold side of a closed loop solar system.

islandguy
# Posted: 27 Mar 2009 18:40

Vince, are you installing it inside or out?
Soundand fury, yes, I realize the problems, but I would normally only run warm water through the pump. The burner would have to be watched closely so the water did not heat up to much, then pumped all at once into the tub, then the valves turned to draw water from the regular freshwater tank again. I think I'll just see how the tankless works though, before adding another system.

Vince P
# Posted: 29 Mar 2009 00:20

Quoting: islandguy
Vince, are you installing it inside or out?

Inside, on the bathroom wall. I have an on-demand type pump coming out of a 55 gal barell in the loft... this pumps to the kitchen sink, the bathroom sink and then to the hot water heater which goes directly to the shower.
I've got all my plumbing in, I just gotta fill the barrel and test for leaks.

islandguy
# Posted: 14 Apr 2009 13:05

Well I plumbed for the tankless unit INSIDE, in a well ventilated spot, but have yet to install the unit, or even test it.
Vince, any progress on your installtion?

Vince P
# Posted: 14 Apr 2009 15:03

Just need to plumb the propane hose to the outside and I'll have hot water!

rugggg
# Posted: 30 Apr 2010 20:41

islandguy and vince p

how did you water heaters work out. I would love to know what you learned after actually using them.

Renee
# Posted: 19 Aug 2010 20:16

I'm planning on using this propane water heater in my cabin when I get it built. Anyone familiar with this item?

Zodi X-40
http://www.hotcampshowers.com/inc/sdetail/310

cman47c
# Posted: 23 Aug 2010 11:26

I have the Zodi single burner in my cabin. It works well, good water pressure as long as you have the supply tank elevated so that the shower head is not more than 4 feet higher than the tank. Hot water in 30 seconds. The ignition system on mine seems to be a little troublesome, as sometimes the piezo button works and sometimes I need to use a match. The 4 gallon water tank that is included is good for about 1 shower.

islandguy
# Posted: 23 Aug 2010 15:27

our installation just went online, and works very well, although the water temp is a bit inconsistant. To recap, I bought a made-in-china indoor, non vented on demand unit, which is mounted on the bedroom wall, and is hard-plumbed to the water supply and propane. Ignition is triggered automatically by opening one of the hot water faucets in the cabin: one for the tub/shower, one at the vanity, and one in the kitchen. I designed the cabin so the bathroom and kitchen are adjacent, which minimises direction changes and longer runs of piping. We have been able to take baths with the unit, and so far, the $200 was well spent.

Cabin Owl
# Posted: 14 Sep 2010 23:30

We have been using a tankless propane unit that mounts outside and doesn't need electricity. Works great! Just have to adjust it if the water temp of your supply changes. They are very fuel efficient.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.