Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Gas Question
stubby72
# Posted: 1 Feb 2012 11:08

Hello, I'm in the process of doing up my 12x24 Cabin. Ive scrounged up a used RV stove/oven for it and a RV sink also. My question is which type of pressure regulator will i need for the stove/oven? I will be posting some pics of it soon. Thanks in advance

cabinbiscuits
# Posted: 1 Feb 2012 11:14

Don't know if this will help or not, but on my camper, there is one regulator with a selector valve for the two bottles at the front of the camper that takes care of all of the gas appliances in the camper, ie- the stove, refrigerator, furnace. Those regulators are available at any RV dealer, or online. I had to replace mine when it went bad, I don't remember what it cost, but I don't remember it as being too bad.

Hope this helps.

dk1393
# Posted: 1 Feb 2012 11:56

I used a low pressure regulator I bought at Tractor Supply. I was 11 in. WC

wakeslayer
# Posted: 1 Feb 2012 13:44

I acquired a RV gas stove a couple years ago that my buddy could never get running. I ended up replacing the regulator in the stove and it worked. I also had to add the common sized one on the tank to make it work properly.
There is a good appliance parts company that will have all that older stuff if you need to replace parts. I will try and dig up the link.

MtnDon
# Posted: 1 Feb 2012 14:49 - Edited by: MtnDon

The nicest regulators, IMO, are the ones that have two hose pigtails that connect to two cylinders. When one run dry it automatically switches to the second tank.

And yes you need a regulator at the tank either direct connection or with the proper propane pigtail.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Feb 2012 18:02

I use a regaular BBQ reglator, which I think limits it to 11lbs pressure. I used 3/8" copper gas line,a vailable from Home Depot (or small mom and pops place if you are Squidlips ;D )and then just added the double flare. They sell the brass fitting that goes on the end too. I did get my regulator from the BBQ section ast Home Depot too.

dfosson
# Posted: 1 Feb 2012 20:38 - Edited by: dfosson

Agree with the posts. My 100 lb tank of LP was set up with single low pressure regulator from Tractor Supply. Its about the same as what is on gas grills. Mine was for a supplemental wall heater that is 20000 btu but these standard regulators will work fine for your stove which really isn't larger than a gas grill when it comes to demand. I used black iron pipe into the house and a generic flex line with valve at the appliance. At the supply tank, I purchased the regulator with the 3' flex hose that was threaded on the black iron coupling. If you run black iron, you won't need anything larger than 3/4" for supply and to save cost, I'd recommend 1/2". Use gas line thread tape for threaded couplings.
LP tank and supply line
LP tank and supply line

TomChum
# Posted: 1 Feb 2012 22:49 - Edited by: TomChum

While the subject is open it might be a good time to explain this terminology. For those who want to learn more about flammable gas and/or inject it into various living quarters and burn it at times,,,,

Quoting: dk1393
It was 11 in. WC

By this, Dk means "11 inches Water Column". Gas pressure is regulated to a very low pressure for safety. If 11 WC leaked into a drafty house it would just blow away. In a tight, small cabin maybe it could accumulate but might be unwise to test this. 11 WC inches is the pressure that would push a column of water up 11 inches.

In psi; "11WC inches" = "0.4 psi" which is not much. For comparison, a human can generate about 2psi lung pressure, and the tires in your car probably have 35 psi.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.