Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / How to keep kids away from the wood stove
vandersysml
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 20:38

I just finished (well, I guess it's never finished, but it's usable) a cabin on our land in Arkansas this past weekend. I would like to bring my boys - 3 1/2 years old and 19 months old - out to the cabin next weekend. The problem is, I was short-sighted and didn't really come up with a plan to keep them away from the wood stove, which will be a necessity to burn. As you can see from the picture, there's not a whole lot of room in the cabin to begin with, and I'm afraid that if I build some kind of fence around the stove we won't be able to get by. Does anyone have any creative solutions they have used? Maybe something that's easily removable to get by?
035.jpg
035.jpg

ErinsMom
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 20:57

foldable doggie gates.

toddheyn
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 21:10

We used to have a large screen, like a fireplace screen. It worked great. Not sure where it came from.

MtnDon
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 21:28

I have no photos. 30 years ago we have a wood stove that was centrally placed between the kitchen and living room... it was a large open space. I built an aluminum framework in 4 panels and about 3 to 3.5 ft tall. Aluminum angle stock rivted together. Then I used 1/4" hardware cloth to fill the panels. The fron panel was split into 2 doors that opened in the middle to permit front access to the stove. The wood stove was a VC Vigilant with top loading so it all worked out quite nicely. I used loose pin hinges at the corners with clevis pins so it was also easy to knock down in summer. Rubber feet bolted to the bottom rail for floor protection.

vandersysml
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 22:06

MtnDon - I like your idea of an aluminum angle stock frame, that may do the trick! I hesitate to use any plastic or wood because of the close proximity to the stove. I had thought about using some chicken wire fencing but I didn't think it would be rigid enough to keep the kids out. They are obedient but I don't want to take any chances. Thanks for the tip!

seohio
# Posted: 4 Feb 2012 08:55

We are able to keep our youngest away from the wood stove by emphasizing "hot!" and "ouch!" like we have with so many other hazards at home and cabin. Our older boys also get in on the act of reinforcing the hot-ouch! and reporting if they think the youngest is too close to a hazard. We kept a very close eye on the situation (not too hard in our one-room cabin!)

Our youngest learned to walk in our cabin last Thanksgiving! The pre-walking lessons worked enough to keep him away. He points at the stove and repeats "hot" and "ouch"!

seohio
# Posted: 4 Feb 2012 09:04

Not to hijack the thread, but in the picture I see a propane stove in the background. If the kids turn the knobs will gas come out un-ignited, with potential to be ignited by the wood stove? I went with a kerosene stove because I wasn't sure about this question (and our local thieves take propane tanks). I trust my kids with hot-ouch, but I'm afraid curiousity or a bump might turn a knob during wood-burning season.

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 23:27

To protect our grandchildren we found a fireplace screen for $29.00 at a reuse shop and I can relax a lot more now knowing they can't accidently fall against our wood stove. Here is a photo...it is pretty heavy duty which helps.
It also doubles for now as a place to hang wet mittens, hats...
It also doubles for now as a place to hang wet mittens, hats...

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 23:29

Quoting: seohio
I trust my kids with hot-ouch, but I'm afraid curiousity or a bump might turn a knob during wood-burning season.

This is also a good point...and something we will be adressing once our stove is hooked up. I know you can buy knob covers at babies r us and other stores...my son uses them at their home.

hattie
# Posted: 6 Feb 2012 00:07

trollbridge - That is a really nice fireplace screen!!! What a find!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Feb 2012 07:45

The other thing we did safety wise is set the stove up on the hearth which is basically about 1 step high- figuring it would be a little harder to stumble into it that way!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.