Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Visitors
Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 4 Feb 2012 09:07

Went by the cabin on the way to visit my family in AR this weekend and checked the trail cams. I discovered that I had had a couple of human visitors to my cabin. They found their way onto both of my trail cams. They didn't seem to cause any problems or mess with anything, but I'm a little uneasy about people poking around where they weren't invited. Other than posting signs or painting purple paint on the trees (Which in AR means no trespassing) is there anything else I can do to discourage curious people from visiting in my absence?

neb
# Posted: 4 Feb 2012 09:29

posting signs maybe the best to start with. I don't like to put signs up but I do believe the honest person will follow what the sign reads. The dishonest person isn't doing to care and will be there but they too may obey the sign. Some people just don't know they are on someone elses land so sings are a good thing. The person that owns land next to you may have given permission to use their land and the trespasser on your land may not know where the property line is.

cabingal3
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 00:03

the last time we were at our woods...we found someone had built a campfire out on our meadow.and there was food stuffs tossed in the back truck bed there and another chair in the living room that was not there before.We have an old mobile home there and it is wide open with a wood stove inside.i think it was local teens...i realy don't care for this as it is wildfire country but we are not there enough to supervise over things.as long as they did not mess with our cabin,its a little bit ok.we have a huge huge no tresspassing sign up on the tree at the drive and all can see it.i suppose we need to put a lock on that mobile home door and a sign there too.i wish we had cams out there and a recorder inside of barking dogs.we could post guard dog on duty signs.just to make people think a bit before coming onto the property.

seohio
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 09:36

I'd share the trail cam pictures with the local sheriff. He may recognize the tresspassers if they are known crooks. Also will be good to have on record if you do have a break-in. Our county sheriff will post break-in associated pictures on their facebook page to get help with identification.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 10:20

The people on the cam were in their 60's most likely. There is some adjacent land that is for sale and it's possible they had been looking at that and wandered over on to our property. One of my cams is pointed at the road and there were no cars visible so they had to have walked. They had hiking sticks too and nothing was disturbed so I'm not exactly worried about these people in particular. I was more interested in what people did to discourage others from coming onto their properties.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 14:08

My land is not posted or otherwise marked for no-trespassing and, in fact, I've invited those around me and me several others to come picnic and use the fire ring as they see fit. I'm operating from the opinion that I'm not going to restrict access to my land until somebody gives me a reason to do that. I've told everyone around me about this, and so far I've had nothing but respectful use of my property.

neb
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 16:06

PA_Bound

I also have told a few ranchers around me they can go on my land also. It's not them that are the issue it's people we don't know and may not want there. I do a lot of hiking and roaming and if I see a sign that is what it means.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 23:30

I get that. My decision is based on the facts that my land is not remote enough to prevent people from finding it, yet too remote for anybody to really keep an eye on it. My game cameras have picked up hunters, hikers, horses, quads, and even a pickup truck or two. But so far nobody has done anything but use my fire ring and leave a little litter around. I like the fact people use my land, as that's more eyes to keep everybody honest. I just started building my cabin this past November. It's been two months, and nobody has bothered anything (even after the wind blew the front door wide open- for a couple of weeks). We'll see how that goes however...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.