Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Hello and a question about power (Quebec)
bobbotron
# Posted: 10 Feb 2012 14:54

Hello small cabin folks!

I've been checking out this forum for a while, finally got around to making an account. Last summer I bought a small acre of land near Low, Quebec - I'm planning on building a small cabin on it this summer.

I'm going to need some kind of electrical power for running power tools during the construction, I have two options - buy a generator or hook into hydro Quebec. There's a hydro pole at the corner of the lot (so I don't think I'd need to get a pole installed), but just a small shed on the lot currently. I was wondering if any of you know whether it's possible to get a temporary power connection in Quebec, or have hydro installed on a shed (and a ball park of what the installation cost would be.)

Here's a panorama of the lot.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobbotron/6825553715/in/photostream

Cheers!
Rob

Just
# Posted: 10 Feb 2012 16:37

In ontario they will not install into a shed without a fight.the best way is a cord to a nighbour,s place , if it's not far ,or a generator ,or build one wall or corner of the cabin and install the permanent service there and then finish the cabin ...you will need all the proper perments for that..

mattelderca
# Posted: 10 Feb 2012 19:14

Please be aware that you cannot do your own electrical work in Quebec. You must hire a contractor for anything you do. That will certainly add significant cost to your project.
Good generators are cheap and easy.

bobbotron
# Posted: 10 Feb 2012 20:05

Yeah, I had a feeling it wouldn't be realistic to get a power connection up there, but doesn't hurt to ask. :)

What would you guys suggest as the minimal wattage for a generator to run a 15 amp mitre saw? All I really need is to be able to drive a chop saw, and a skill saw once and a while (have lots of solar lights up there, it's really just power for tools I need.) A 4000w peak/ 3000w continuous generator just came up for sale at CT, I'm thinking about getting it...

Just
# Posted: 10 Feb 2012 21:23

that's lot's for hand tools i saw that in the add , some hear would say it should be a honda ...i have no experance with generators.i used a soler panel and a 1500 watt inverter. worked fine for saws and drills.

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Feb 2012 21:27

Is there a compressor in the picture; now or later?

bobbotron
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 08:50

Hey MntDon, nope, I don't think there's a compressor in my future.

razmichael
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 09:19

If you do not intend to be on grid with the cabin then the cost of a connection and disconnection ($400-$600 minimum) would cover the cost of a decent compressor (as MntDon hints) although the tools are another thing. Given that only a portion of the hydro bill is related to actual usage, the added cost throughout a construction time for the cabin would then be close to covering the cost of a nice Honda generator which could run your tools, and be used in the future regardless of how you end up powering your cabin. You can get some information on hydro costs in Quebec from the website. As per Ontario, read it carefully because the various charges are all listed in various sections so it can be hard to put it all together.

personally I would consider the cost of a good quality generator as part of the construction budget.

bobbotron
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 09:22

Hey Just. I have a tiny 30W solar panel - that could be an option, just buy some more panels and batteries, and use them to power tools. I really wont need power that often, so it might work. (I realize, running the power tools a lot would burn through my batteries super quick, though honestly I would only need it for a few cuts once and a while.)

razmichael
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 09:35

Power tools (miter saws etc) have a large draw and a big initial surge so you would need a big inverter, heavy duty cables from the batteries, really good batteries, lots more panels etc. If you really only need a few cuts then what about battery powered tools. Again, depending on what you need, what you currently have invested in power tools, what you expect to need in the future, you may still figure out that a generator is the most cost effective solution.

bobbotron
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 09:38

I have a lot of corded power tools, and a set cordless tools that has basically turned me off cordless tools. :P That, and for this job I mostly want the use of my mitre saw. Yeah, I'll probably get a generator... which brings me back to the question... do you guys think a 3000/4000w generator would do the trick? :)

razmichael
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 09:47

You really need to determine the demands of the saw you are using. I have a 2000 Honda and it will run all my power tools without an issue but my stuff is pretty standard home depot tools. You need to read the generator specs very carefully as they are presented differently by different manufacturers (surge vs normal). Same with the tools - anything with a motor has a big start up draw. Most people will agree that Honda makes some of the best quality generators but they are also expensive (but last forever, easy to start and have power to spare). There are lots of other brands out there that would do the job as well.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 10:11

I have three generators currently (long story). Two are +/-3500 watt range- and provide plenty of power to drive my construction tools. The first is a Honda EG3500- runs like tank, but sounds like one also. And at ~$1500US to replace it, I didn't want to risk leaving at my, unsecure, under-construction cabin (besides, I bought it as a backup for my house). But it also is not easy to load into my truck everytime I go to the cabin. So in early January I found a Generac gp3250 on sale. At just over $400US delivered, I jumped on it. It has enough power drive all my lights and tools, is quieter than my Honda EG, and with the lower price I'm willing to risk theft so I now don't have to haul it back and forth. I will say however that the generac really struggles to start my 3/4hp well pump, where the Honda does not. It'll do it, but not easily.

If you don't need to drive a well pump, and you have some spare cash, look at a Honda eu2000i. My third generator is a 1000i that we use at hunting camp. They are so quiet we actually leave it running under the front porch all night without being kept awake. But get a 2000, as we've learned the 1000 is a little light for some loads (like the coffee pot). But at ~$1K, they don't come cheap.

bobbotron
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 10:15

Nothing fancy - a 10" hitachi 15 amp saw, a 15 amp hitachi circular saw, and a power drill... Truly, I have no idea what their surge wattage is. :/

PA_Bound
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 10:28

I don't think your 3000/4000w generator would have any problem with these tools.

MtnDon
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 10:40

Compressors are the hardest "tool" to use on a small generator unless it is a "pancake" compressor. I find a compressor invaluable; have many air tools, but that requires a large generator.

In general I totally dislike generators. The majority are way too noisy and run at 3600 rpm even when not producing power. Then they get noisier when you turn on a tool. The quiet Hondas and Yamahas have load sensing so the don;t sit there running at top speed when not needed. They idle back. They are much quieter because of the inverter technology and much better sound silencing. My kind of generator.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.