Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Is your cabin near water?
Buggy
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 23:00

Sitting at home on a winter night wishing I was fishing on the lake nearby our cabin. Do you have a creek/river or a lake near your cabin? If so, I would love to see some photos.

Hick
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 23:21

We have a small pond by our cabin. It have a stream that flows into with small trout in it. We are thinking about having one dug in a swampy area on our land this fall. The picture on the other pond is about 5 miles from our cabin.
pond
pond
Pond with cabin in the back ground
Pond with cabin in the back ground
Pond about 5 miles away
Pond about 5 miles away

larry
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 00:12

this winter i don't think my pond is frozen. i was hoping to do some ice fishing.
have a cold one
have a cold one
lunker
lunker

Buggy
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 00:24

Larry, love the photos! Is this fish from your pond? If so, do you stock the pond yourself?

Just
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 09:59 - Edited by: Just

Our creek finaly froze over this week , its realy a small river 8 ft. deep 100 ft. across lots of fish. we enjoy the water very much .
100_1645.jpg
100_1645.jpg

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 10:20

We are about 600 feet from water. Straight down ;)

Other than that nothing for a mile; that's a natural spring but it's not ours. It's on USFS land.

bugs
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 12:10

Buggy

We have our shack on top of a small hill over looking a 100 acre + wetland that we own most of. No fish other than minnows but lots of waterfowl and wildlife...and wonderful sunsets.
pond view from breakfast
pond view from breakfast
pond view 2
pond view 2
fall sunset
fall sunset

customrunner
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 12:23

The river is about 40 feet from my front door little iced over wright now cant wait for spring trout fishing
cabin_7_021.JPG
cabin_7_021.JPG

larry
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 12:34

Quoting: Buggy
do you stock the pond yourself?

yes it gets stocked every 5 years or so with rainbows. i also stocked it with pearch ,bluegill and crapie from lake st. clair. my kids love the fishing and it makes for a good lunch/ dinner.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 13:37 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

There is a small creek running along one side of our property.
near water
near water
creek
creek
view from gazebo
view from gazebo

rayyy
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 14:12

This creek is the whole reason I bought this chunk of land.
at_home_in_the_cabin.jpg
at_home_in_the_cabin.jpg

Montanagirl
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 14:37

We are located on a mountain lake in NW Montana. Great fishing both summer and winter. Very, very blessed.
canoe.jpg
canoe.jpg
CIMG1317.JPG
CIMG1317.JPG
pics_005.jpg
pics_005.jpg
chanelatthelake.jpg
chanelatthelake.jpg

Hick
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 16:56

Larry,

How big and deep is your pond? The area I want to have dug out is spring fed. I was going to make it 12 feet deep so it stays cool for the trout. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Montanan
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 18:57

Love the photos everyone! We have creek frontage- about 450' of quite fishable creek. It's not big water but the trout are plentiful. We also have a spring-fed creek with water rights, so that's how we get our water for the cabin.
Creek in winter
Creek in winter

Montanagirl
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 20:29

Wow, 450 feet! Water rights are HUGE! We too have them and pull our water from the lake. (which is a whole 'nother topic LOL! )

nicalisa
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 23:23

ocean about 120 ft or so from the deck, can't remember what google earth said, but it is close, and running water from a spring fed river. Water falls about a 1/2 walk for a "fresh water" natural shower.

Paradise from my perspective:)
DSC04668.JPG
DSC04668.JPG

Buggy
# Posted: 13 Feb 2012 17:18

Thought I would send a few pictures of the 45 acre mountain lake just down the road from our cabin. The lake sits just shy of 5,000 ft. elev. in No. California and offers some great rainbow trout fishing from a float tube.
Lake.1.JPG
Lake.1.JPG
Lake.2.JPG
Lake.2.JPG
Lake.3.JPG
Lake.3.JPG

Borrego
# Posted: 13 Feb 2012 21:17

I'm in the desert....the ocean is waaaay to the west.....

bobrok
# Posted: 13 Feb 2012 22:43

A cabin neighbor of mine has a friend who owns a seaplane (!). He took this a couple of years ago when they flew in for a visit. Our place is in the lower right hand corner in one of the bays. The lake is a mile long and restricted to 10hp motors. There is no highway or launch area so in effect it is a motorless lake unless we carry a boat and outboard down to it. Just the way I like it.
view of my lake
view of my lake

brokeneck
# Posted: 17 Feb 2012 07:13 - Edited by: brokeneck

West Chicago Creek runs through -- good fishing -- great sounds. I have been toying with the idea of a water wheel to generate some electricity. Oh and uptream behind the big house -- we have a small beaver pond ...
cabin dogs
cabin dogs

sabiggs
# Posted: 17 Feb 2012 09:28

Harriman Reservoir (over 8 miles long) is only about 7 minutes from our land in Southern Vermont. Beautiful, clean, surrounded by mountains and the largest commercial wind powered plant this side of the Mississippi (True).

I saw my first, and only, bald eagle there while boating on the reservoir last summer. Amazing.
Harriman Reservoir
Harriman Reservoir

JoshG
# Posted: 18 Feb 2012 20:48

Northern Wisconsin
074.JPG
074.JPG

bobrok
# Posted: 18 Feb 2012 21:39

@sabiggs...
if not too much trouble can you E-mail me at offgridfanatgmaildotcom
I have a southern VT oriented question to ask?
Thank you!

beachman
# Posted: 20 Feb 2012 19:41

OK - Some pics of our lake in New Brunswick. So many neat and different places all with unique character!
boat at dock out front
boat at dock out front
front flower garden
front flower garden
storm at end of lake
storm at end of lake
beach sunset
beach sunset

hilltop
# Posted: 21 Feb 2012 19:29

I own about half way down to the lake and own to the center of two creeks that border my property and drain into the lake , They range from just damp to two to three ft of water after a heavy rain. My pond is 20 by 40ft and about 10 ft deep
view off the cabin deck
view off the cabin deck

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.