Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / first time in and as always an adventure!
nicalisa
# Posted: 20 Feb 2012 23:28

So on a whim we took last Friday off and at the crack of dawn, loaded up all of the bits and bobs we collected over the winter and headed out to the cabin.

so we left from our government dock (pic 1 on the water taxi where we pitched all of our stuff on the beach and walked up the hill to get bessie started and come down and collect our things...bessie however had other ideas and she was not ready to get up from her winter slumber So, we walked down the hill (pic 2) and up the hill with a load of stuff, and down the hill and up the hill with a load of stuff, and repeat about 6 times..After trip 1 it started raining with some real force and weight to those drops soaking us clear to the skin, which kept us nice and cool while we were working up a sweat!
We got everything unpacked, ate a quick dinner and the cabin was quiet and locked up by 8 pm...can you say tired!!

The next morning we finished the composting toilet installation yay!! a new innovation for our cabin living!
DSC04963.JPG
DSC04963.JPG
DSC05055.JPG
DSC05055.JPG
DSC05077.JPG
DSC05077.JPG
DSC05078.JPG
DSC05078.JPG

nicalisa
# Posted: 20 Feb 2012 23:52 - Edited by: nicalisa

And so let there be light...

the afternoon of day two...the solar was finally set up. for the first time in 5 years we have light!!!! We have LEDs that if we had ALL of them going at once we would use less than 50 watts an hour! and the cabin looks like the surface of the sun! needless to say, we only use about 10 watts an hour, and it is more than bright enough
DSC04981.JPG
DSC04981.JPG
before lights
before lights
after lights!
after lights!
DSC04989.JPG
DSC04989.JPG

nicalisa
# Posted: 20 Feb 2012 23:59 - Edited by: nicalisa

End of last year we got the new fire pit in. While we were gone the neighbors leveled the pit area while they had a machine in the bay lots of room for chairs around the fire now, and the view of the great steps my hubby put in last year
DSC05080.JPG
DSC05080.JPG
DSC05081.JPG
DSC05081.JPG

nicalisa
# Posted: 21 Feb 2012 00:03 - Edited by: nicalisa

last day of the weekend.....

nothing to do but fish!
getting ready
getting ready
on the bay
on the bay
new bird friend
new bird friend
sea cukes
sea cukes

hattie
# Posted: 21 Feb 2012 00:44

It looks like you had a great time!! Your place is really coming along. I love the way you made steps out of round log pieces. Very clever!!! I bet that was hard work.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 21 Feb 2012 07:31

your cabin looks great all lighted up!!!! looks like a fine weekend!!!!

nicalisa
# Posted: 21 Feb 2012 22:10

Thanks Hattie and Turkeyhunter

The steps were not as bad as you would think...just cut the rounds, get a shovel and go to work a bunch of stakes later and you have stairs... Not nearly as bad as my husband forgetting his long johns while I brought two pairs....

He looks quite dashing in pink dontcha think??
DSC04974.JPG
DSC04974.JPG

neb
# Posted: 21 Feb 2012 22:16

Very nice.

vandersysml
# Posted: 22 Feb 2012 20:20

I have been following your posts for awhile and have stolen several ideas from you (thanks) including the loft rail design, dish storage, and now the cool stairs you put in are a future project for me. Nothing but steep slopes on my land, I could use some steps like that in a few places. Looks like an awesome place you have!

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 10:18

HI! So glad you were able to make time to get away!!! I'm sure now you can't wait to go back! It is always an adventure huh? but that is what makes for great memories...

curious...how was the wallpaper holding up through the winter?

volleypc
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 16:06

I am looking at LED lights currently. Are you using DC voltage lights or are you running your lights through an inverter? What kind of light is that in DSC04989?

nicalisa
# Posted: 27 Feb 2012 21:59

Hi there trollbridge and Volleypc.

Trollbridge, the wallpaper was just fine on the ceiling over the winter. but we reinforced the seams with wood stripping. we are heading out in two weeks to see what kind of trouble we can get in!

Volleypc, We are running our lights through an inverter. The ones in the pic you mentioned are from ikea and here is the link each pack comes with 3 bars of lights which are able to be connected to the next pack etc. The whole top of our cabin took 4.5 packs.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50192073/

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Feb 2012 16:42

Quoting: nicalisa
we are heading out in two weeks to see what kind of trouble we can get in!

Thrilled for you!!!!!!! and remember...it won't be an adventure without at least a little trouble besides a little trouble is good for the soul!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.