Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / What would you do?
scrimshaw
# Posted: 5 May 2009 11:22

I have 100 acres in central NC and there's a picnic shelter on the property that was built in the 1950s. It's made out of large cedar poles, has rafters, and is very sturdy/not rotted, etc. Has metal roof in great shape. It's 16' x 20'. I want to convert it into a cabin. Since the area is already donated as a "picnic area" and the county has record of this structure as is, I want to just close it in with walls, windows, flooring and doors and make into a rustic cabin at low cost. I don't feel anyone would want to inspect it as they already know there's a structure there and they really would have no way of knowing of what it looked like before.

If didn't do the permit to it, could I still get electricity to it? I'm pretty much going to use it as vacation area and with 100 acres no one sees it as it's in the middle of the property over looking a lake that's 200 feet away.

scrimshaw
# Posted: 5 May 2009 11:24

by the way...I won't be doing septic. there's a spring on the property/well that I can get water from but won't run it to the cabin. just want a shelter with some cabinetry, wood floors and couple of bunk beds. think of it as a "closed in" picnic area.

cabinbasics
# Posted: 5 May 2009 15:07

Cool project scrim, I don't know the answers to the permit thing but could only recommend doing it by the book just in case.

Anyway curious where in Central NY? Are you north of Syracuse or below? My spot is by the Salmon River.

scrimshaw
# Posted: 6 May 2009 14:19

I'm actually in NC not NY:) Yeah, would like to do it by the book but I think I'll be OK w/o a permit as I can't imagine saying anything about it.

lawnjocky
# Posted: 10 May 2009 15:46

I would get electric service first since that would include the most red tape. Then I would enclose three sides so it is still a picnic type structure. Let some time slide by and if no complaints do the last wall.

When ever in doubt, play dumb. It makes gov types feel like they are smart. When they are all puffed up about themselves they are less likely to go looking to bother anyone.

Jocko

Walnut
# Posted: 1 Jun 2009 10:48

I agree with lawnjocky - first try to get electricity to the site. One benefit of doing that is you'd have electricity to run power tools when enclosing the shelter.

I have property in the NC mountains that had nothing on it when we bought it. My first step was to get electricity brought in. The electric company required me to have a permit from the county inspections office before they would run the lines from the nearest power pole. The county inspections office offered a camper permit, which is what I thought I wanted, but if you want to have a camper permit you have to have a septic system in place, which I didn't/don't have. Instead I was able to get a temporary electric permit, which required me to have an electrician out to install a temporary pole/meter/and fuse box, which of course required an inspection.

Good luck - sounds like a nice place.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.