Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Great site / new here
lawnjocky
# Posted: 9 May 2009 21:35

Great site!!!

I have a small fortified compond hidden away on thirty plus acres in southern New Mexico. I started off building a 10 x 12 cabin and I recently doubled the square footage. My water is gravity from a tank. I use dual fuel Coleman lanterns for light. For heat I have a cheapo wood stove from Harbor Freight. I have a two burner propane stove from Cabelas and I also cook outside using a grill over the fire pit and dutch ovens. For phone I use Global Star, the have a cheap plan with unlimited minutes but you have to wait for a satelite pass and calls do get dropped. I also have a generator that I use to power power tools or to charge batteries.
P1010019.JPG
P1010019.JPG
IMG_2911.JPG
IMG_2911.JPG

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 10 May 2009 15:17

Welcome to the Forum, lawnjocky.

It's a nice simple cabin setup you have there.

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 13 Oct 2009 12:25

Love your cabin! Sounds like you have a real good set up!!! Best of Luck!

How high up do you have your water tank???

ncjeeper
# Posted: 16 Oct 2009 17:52

Yep new here too. Just found the site. I just bought 38 acres in spencer wv and looking to build a getaway cabin. Looking foward to meeting everyone and gathering important information.

lawnjocky
# Posted: 19 Oct 2009 09:12

My water tank it only about 20' higher elevation than the cabin. I have an outdoor shower that works fine with that low of pressure. I picked up a "third world" showerhead in Mexico that works well with low pressure. It is the old fashion kind that looks like it came off a watering can.

Jocko

JRanch
# Posted: 20 Oct 2009 00:02

Jocko,
Nice to meet you, we are neigbors.....
Whats the size of you cabin? I am trying to get some ideas for mine, type of foundation, OSB vs. plywood, and so fourth.

Any help would be appreciated.

Humbly,
keith

lawnjocky
# Posted: 20 Oct 2009 17:21

Keith:

It started out as 10x12 as it was just a place for me to stay when out hunting. The kids liked it so much I doubled the square footage. The picture above is when it just had the building wrap on the addition.

The original was just on pier blocks but as I put more into it I drilled down into rock and made concrete footings using sono tubes.

The windows are double pane from Home Depot. The siding is rough cut 1 x 12 board and batten. I hate plywood siding. The siding is more expensive the way I did and plywood would save a lot of time and money. I hauled the siding down from Santa Fe.

I drove through your area a while back on my way to Gallup. If you are going to live there year round you are a lucky man.

Jocko

JRanch
# Posted: 20 Oct 2009 22:51

Jacko,
Hi, I am going with a small 12x16 cabin with a loft, 10' walls and the loft dropped down to 7' (bottom of loft floor). I will start building in the spring but I'm just getting ideas now.

We (wife & small kids) will use the cabin as much as we can, we live near Phoenix, AZ and its about a 4.5 hour drive.

I will keep in touch,
keith

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.