Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Stovepipe fire due to creosote buildup
TomChum
# Posted: 7 Mar 2012 15:21 - Edited by: TomChum

I'd like to know if anyone has direct knowledge of a stovepipe fire on a tight, short, vertical steel stovepipe, on an airtight stove with all doors closed and air shut down. Please include pics of the stovepipe that show stovepipe length, if it is straight or has elbows etc. No masonry chimneys, please.

This is an important subject. A lot of people would like to comprehend their safety level with respect to heating with a wood fire inside their house. The common term has been "chimney fire", but this term has a history of open hearth fireplaces, no air control, old masonry, all kinds of other details that I'd like to differentiate from modern airtight stoves and tight steel stovepipes.

Please try to keep the thread on topic. As with any friendly group this is very difficult, especially after the 3rd page. The idea for this thread started here which has some good info.

MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Mar 2012 16:30

IMO, it is highly unlikely for a fire to start in the chimney under the conditions given "on a tight, short, vertical steel stovepipe, on an airtight stove with all doors closed and air shut down." But those conditions set things up for a chimney fire once the draft or door is opened and fresh fuel added to get a hot fire going.

analogmanca
# Posted: 7 Mar 2012 17:18 - Edited by: analogmanca

Yes, I have experience with that too- long story but in 2007 I was busted up bad, after a couple weeks in the trama center I was brought home but could do little so friends brought in wood, and stacked it in the kitchen.
What I did not know, and could not see was that they brought in the spruce I had stacked, and it was not dry-maybe 6 months, and unsplit.
Well, I used it, little choice, and I knew in short order that my stove was not drawing right.
It progressivly would spill more smoke into the room each time I opened the door to load it. It never does that unless the chimney needs attention, After 4
weeks+ it was bad, I could not get heat out of it even with the thermostat control wide open. I knew the chimney was getting plugged up, but I thought in another week or two I would be able to get up and take care of it.
I was just trying to get by, one day I loaded it, and it just would not go so I cracked the front door open a inch or two to help. Maybe a half hour or more later it starts putting out a little heat then after a bit I hear a roar, and poping sounds(a hell of a roar). I can tell the chimney has caught fire by the sound of it just above the stove.
Well I dont know what to do, even my dog took off as the noise scared the hell out of him.
I closed the front door, and turned the thermostat down. Within seconds the roar was gone. Well right away I realized I had control of it. So (now I dont recomend this but..) I am thinking if I had that Kind of control then I should try to burn the creosote out.
I set the thermostat to midway, and opened the door and waited........soon it took off again, I shut the door, and found by listening to the sound, I could feed it enough air to keep it at a gental burn, listening as the flame front advanced up to the top, turning the air back if it sounded too agressive. Thats what I did.
So In short you will be given lots of advanced notice, and even then may need to do something completely wrong like leaving the door open.

Tomchum- I just reread your question, I goofed, your asking if anyone had experience with a chimney fire with the air control, and door shut-I do not, but I type with one finger, and after all this typing I am posting anyway, you can delete it if its off topic. I will read the question twice next time

TomChum
# Posted: 7 Mar 2012 17:26 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: analogmanca
you can delete it if its off topic.

Members can edit their own posts, but I can't delete yours. I was just hoping that members can allow this thread stay on topic.

Analogman, I was expecting to wait a long time, and read thru pages of "I heard" accounts before encountering genuine experience. Having a first hand account, from someone who not only experienced a stovepipe fire but wrassled it is a blessing for the forum.

Martian
# Posted: 7 Mar 2012 17:46

Entertaining, too.

Tom

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Mar 2012 22:43

Quoting: analogmanca
but I type with one finger, and after all this typing I am posting anyway, you can delete it if its off topic.

Too funny...
Thanks for sharing your story!

Seto
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 11:59

even with good air/temperature control you can build up creosoute, especially when getting the fire going and when it has died down. creosoute is very flamable and if it ignites it can make the chimney very hot. on single wall stove pipe close to combustable/wood surfaces the heat can set the wall on fire, this is what can happen to older styles of chimney.

ways to avoid it would be to use a chimney of triple wall (very insulated) stovepipe (also required by law in most places) an insulated barrier between in and the wall such as a metal thimble. with this even if there is a fire it will not likely burn the wall. also cleaning regularly, if you use some T joints in the chimney you can make them hatches to open and run a brush up into, brushes are cheap, the head is 10 or 15 dollars and a 5' section of rod is 5 or 10 dollars. avoid buildup by cleaning the chimney or hire a skilled sweep if you don't know how or your chimney isn't one you can clean.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.