Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Anyone else just camping on your property?
. 1 . 2 . >>
Viking
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 11:43 - Edited by: Viking

Just thought I would find out who is doing what I am doing..

Laying low, getting enjoyment out of the property without worrying that someone will come and shut you down.

Cottage will eventually be built, but in order to do it properly with permits, etc. it will have to wait for quite some time.

spicyacres
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 12:40

Hauling in an old travel trailer to my land this summer, not pretty but it was cheap and it'll beat sleeping in a tent.

Viking
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 12:53

Awesome! I actually saw a good price for a tent trailer on Craiglist the other day, it was an older model but restored to good condition.

However, due to the terrain of my lot, it would be quite difficult to get a trailer down to where I want to set up camp. I am thinking of building a deck to place a cabin style tent and screw it down.

Are you also camping out because you are hesitant to build something?

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 13:02

We camped using our RV for two summers before starting our cabin. We basically left it there only moving it around a couple of times, but never drove it out od the mountains during that time. Reasons: 1. spent the first two years cleaning up the property deadfall, then standing dead and trash trees.... 2. an accidental occurance. We got the know the land better and changedf the build site three times. That was a great benefit.

Viking
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 13:37 - Edited by: Viking

Yeah, I have had this lot for a few years already. It's been a process with the first summer going to simple clearing, etc. The second summer was spent constructing a dock.

This year would like to get something done so that we can enjoy the property in comfort, and getting use out of our boat!

The property is on Lake Huron, so lots of boating/fishing opportunities abound! Can't wait for spring to switch into full gear!

Viking

hattie
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 14:46

We have a camper out on our placer claim. It works great for us. We have a couple of solar panels as well as a large water barrel which we use for river water (not for drinking though). We have a big battery up there and propane to run the camper. There is an outhouse on the claim (left by the previous prospector) and a picnic table. All the comforts of home. The camper is on Crown land.
Our Camper
Our Camper

Viking
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 14:53

Wow, that thing is sweet!! Definitely better than a tent!

Any way you could post a picture of the interior? How much does something like that run at?

bushbunkie
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 16:51

Hi Viking,
Have a look at the thread "Building a Cabin In Ontario"...I answered you and think we're in the same boat

Just
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 16:57

swallow your pride and it,s great. we have solar power, rain water tank and pump .wood stove were the bath used to be .and a outhouse a dock and boats ,. works for us.
maybe have 2000$ invested at the most .
must tell the truth we also have a cottage at the lake,but thats anouther story!!!
100_1645.jpg
100_1645.jpg
7942_1_o.jpg
7942_1_o.jpg

razmichael
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 16:57

We have lake front property in Quebec and have been using a pop up trailer for two summers (with two kids and two dogs). I put in an outhouse, grey water pit and a very nice and long dock. This, along with a shower, BBQ, gazebo, swing for the kids etc has done the job very well. Everything I have added to the pop up (solar system, water distribution etc) has all been planned to roll over to the cabin we hope to start this summer. The pop up is a larger one but we got it for next to nothing and have only needed to do basic maintenance on it - we were very lucky with it! It has proven a nice way to enjoy the location in a bit more comfort than a tent (nothing wrong with a tent but...).

spicyacres
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 17:58

Hoping to build something this summer. Picked up this trailer recently for $1100, hopefully she'll keep is dry and we'll be rockin it 70's style!
76_prowler_1.jpg
76_prowler_1.jpg

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 18:11

In case you, or anyone else, has RV leaks. Eternabond is a self stick roll material somewhat like self stock window and door flashing. Many RV dealers sell it as it is excellent for patching leaks. It sticks extremely well; don't make a mistake in placing it as it sticks!

Many online sources as I recall. Google.

hattie
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 22:01 - Edited by: hattie

I don't have any inside photos of our camper anymore. We bought it in 2006 from an old timer who wanted to get rid of it. We paid $1,000 for it. It is really old but pristine inside. A lovely 1970's green colour. *LOL* Below is a photo of the camper when we were moving it (before we camouflaged it). There are some other pictures of our camp.

spicyacres - What a steal for $1,100! That looks like a really large camper!
Moving day before it was painted
Moving day before it was painted
Water tower and painting begins
Water tower and painting begins
Outhouse and one solar panel
Outhouse and one solar panel

tnky03
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 23:10

Here is what has been our Winter home... not sure just how much longer. New debate as to location of future cabin and it's size as would like to avoid as much "red tape" as possible. It has not been so bad, though and much less housework, LOL. I'm not totally opposed to another winter here actually, in order to save more building money. Maybe at least a 10x12 shed this Summer in order to give a bit more room to move about more.
20111204_07.23.31..jpg
20111204_07.23.31..jpg

Viking
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 23:52 - Edited by: Viking

@ Hattie

$1000? Wow.. Amazing price. That is so much nicer than any trailer that I have seen. Is it made out of aluminum or fiberglass?

If you have a chance at some point, please take some pics of it inside, would love to see!

Viking

hattie
# Posted: 10 Mar 2012 00:27

Quoting: Viking
Is it made out of aluminum or fiberglass?

It is made out of fiberglass and weighs a ton. Bob's boss drove it into our camp on his truck after we cleared out a road. It was a very nerve wracking trip in.

Our camp is out in the bush and not accessible right now with all the snow. It will be some time before we are able to get in there, but I will try to remember to take some pictures next time we are there.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 10 Mar 2012 10:38

Hattie,
Great job on the camo paint job...you guys always have something "unique" going on.
BTW....have you made a full recovery...feeling back up to snuff?
BB

hattie
# Posted: 10 Mar 2012 12:37

Thanks bushbunkie. We did the camper back in 2006 so it is an old project. *S*

I'm completely back to normal now and so is Bob. Thanks for asking!!

Bob is not allowed to use a chain saw or welding equipment ever again because they could interfere with his ICD (pacemaker/defibrillator implant). He's not very happy about that because, even though we don't have wood heat here, we do need the chain saw when we are out exploring and a trail is blocked. Not sure what we will do about that. Maybe I will have to learn how to use one. *LOL* As for the welding, Bob does a lot of work in his shop and, even though he rarely welds, he does do it on occasion. He has talked with our neighbour who has agreed to do any welding for him if he needs it. Country neighbours are the BEST!!!

Rob_O
# Posted: 10 Mar 2012 13:27

Here's a picture of my mansion in the country...

It's an 18' Holiday Rambler from 1969, cost me all of $500. It was advertised as "no leaks, all appliances work" which was not completely true, but still worth the money.

Wilbour
# Posted: 2 Jun 2014 09:13

Funny how things change. We were looking for land on Wolfe Island, Ontario and found an acre in a great location. Then saw it had a storage cabin in serious need of repair. All spring I dreamt of making it warm and dry for sleeping. I even got consent from the town to fix it up since it pre-existed the new bylaws. This spring I saw how bad to footings are and will have to spend a better part of this summer making sure it does not fall over.

This brings us back to our original plan of tenting on the site. The good thing is I use the storage shed to keep all our camping gear and do not have to pack up the car every weekend.

sparky1
# Posted: 2 Jun 2014 11:35

here's my newest campout facility (OzarkTrail 3 room Tent)
3 room Ozark Trail Tent
3 room Ozark Trail Tent

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 2 Jun 2014 18:22

Before the cabin,25 years of camping.
image.jpg
image.jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Jun 2014 19:40

we did for a long time.me and gar and the grandsons.
it was so cold and so many bugs and bush overgrown.now we have our cabin out there.sure nice but it was a long time in coming.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 4 Jun 2014 20:28 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

started out camping in a tent, then put up an advert on CL and scored this for free. YES FREE! Give it a second to load once you click on it, there are many photos in the gif.
1966 Banner Camper
1966 Banner Camper

sparky1
# Posted: 9 Jun 2014 10:38

WOW.
what a great "Free" home away.
thanks for the pictures.

creeky
# Posted: 9 Jun 2014 17:10

My summer bedroom is a canvas tent. And I love it. Everyone who visits overnight loves it too.

A travel trailer or rv is nice, but, for me, a tent is there. You hear the birds in the morning. You have the rustling in the grass at night. If you're lucky you get to punch a bear in the nose when he pokes you awake (long time ago camping in new brunswick) through the tent fabric. (I was asleep and something went poke poke poke so I roll over and swat it... The poker withdrew posthaste and then I hear a big woof ... gulp).

The advantage of canvas is it lasts longer and is heavier. So a bit less wind flapping. The advantage of modern fabrics is cost. And way better for travel camping. But as you're there for a bit ...

Putting your tent on a deck helps too. So do trees or a sun awning. My canvas tent is lovely in the spring a.m. As the sun heats it up, but even with the windows wide open it's pretty much unusable in the afternoon until it gets back into the shade.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 10 Jun 2014 08:48

For years we camped all over Canada with a pop up trailer. After we bought the cabin and the property, I decided to keep the pop up trailer as it owed me nothing. I now bring the trailer to the cabin and use it as my guest house. It sleeps six comfortably so it is perfect when friends and family come and visit.

morock
# Posted: 8 Jul 2014 22:06 - Edited by: morock

We were not allowed a trailer, but could tent. Put up a yurt and loved it for 4 years. We had sat TV and solar lights. I really miss it now.
yurt
yurt
inside
inside

Wilbour
# Posted: 9 Jul 2014 08:24

A yurt ? You don't have it any more ? Too bad :-C

morock
# Posted: 13 Jul 2014 17:45

I do still have it and it's up forsale. Search Ottawa Kijiji.
Don't need it now, have my square log cabin.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.