Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / driving a groudning rod the easy way
Rifraf
# Posted: 16 Apr 2012 11:02

Im going to try this, have to run my ground rod next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0dyf-fibzg

justincasei812
# Posted: 16 Apr 2012 11:39

I am lucky, since my cabin is basically on sandy ground. It only took about ten to fifteen minutes to pound the grounding rod down into the ground.

countryred
# Posted: 16 Apr 2012 19:42

It does work, we have a lot guys come in our electric supply shop who use that method. Only thing that messes it up is rock.

Rob_O
# Posted: 17 Apr 2012 00:11

Quoting: countryred
It does work, we have a lot guys come in our electric supply shop who use that method. Only thing that messes it up is rock.

And if you hit rock doing it this way, you can usually get the rod back out of the ground.

Malamute
# Posted: 17 Apr 2012 01:01

Looks interesting. I think the ground here is way too rocky though.

One trick that helps when driving a rod in rocky ground, is taking a scrap 2x6, 2-4 feet long, drilling a hole large enough to easily pass over the rod, and having a helper hold it to stablize the rod while driving it. A little twist keeps it tight on the rod. Much easier than holding the rod, and if the one driving misses, it isn't as painful to have the board smacked as your hands.

I've had some interesting experiences driving ground rods in this rocky ground. Even in backfill there's no guarantee it will go in the first time (and spot). There's a majority of packed rock (up to small car size) and gravel, with some dirt and sand filling in around the rocks.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.